Anybody Using one of these?

GoldenMotor.com
Aug 26, 2015
Overgaard AZ
http://www.gasbike.net/products/back-rest-saddle-bike-seat

I stumbled across this poking around on gasbike, which I don't normally do, as every time I've called them, I get an unintelligible accent from some different backwater country, but they've a few items I'm interested in, this is one, the mag rims with built in hub adapter is the other. Any input on either item would be greatly appreciated.

While of course, both seat and rims would work and look good on Tanglebones, they would be choice on the Micargi Mustang I'm putting serious thought to. That is of course if they're well made. I've eyed the wheelset for so long, I'm ready to buy it and see for myself. But about the seat...does anyone know if you can trust that back rest at all?

ZipTie

Jan 8, 2016
Mpls Mn
MM. Thats a lota seat For only 19 bucks so I wouldn't lean into it too much...snap...bend...fly....a buddy of mine just broke the back off my unbreakable kayak seat off as he leaned into it a bit and he flew backwards in a hurry and flipped out Into the water instantly It was funny as heck landing in the water, but would be disastrous on a MB. I'd go for the wheels and forget the seat for some odd reason. .duh.

Aug 26, 2015
Overgaard AZ
Kinda my thoughts there, Ziptie. I'd hate to settle in to the seat, and end up as the rear brake, or road debris. Its just that with my welder stolen, my fabrication capacity is greatly reduced. That seat would save the endless search, and eliminate the astronomical price of a local welding shop.

bluegoatwoods

Jul 29, 2012
Central Illinois
I wonder if that backrest won't have the effect of pinning you to the bike in a way that restricts your spines ability to 'roll with the punches' of the road?

Do you see what I mean? The hardtail of our bikes means that we have to either do a whole lot of flexing ourselves on the bumps or we have to put some serious springs under our seat.

If your seat is not well sprung, then the backrest might interfere with you being your own shock absorber.

ZipTie

Jan 8, 2016
Mpls Mn
That's a really good Point on these light bikes Bluegoatwoods!
Again I personally just wouldn't trust the construction on where the supports are attached to the seat bottom, welded, screwed or otherwise its probably going too give out one way or another. Could be wrong but...

Aug 26, 2015
Overgaard AZ
That really is an excellent point, Blue, and one I hadn't really considered. I think I'll bite the bullet, and either find a decent fabricator, or con the new boss at the golf course here, into letting me run up the power bill, there's an old Lincoln coffin in the corner... I still want a back rest, as I can lean forward for the bigger bumps, more like a real motorcycle sissy seat.