Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum  

Sponsors

Go Back   Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum > Motorized Bicycle > Board Trackers and Vintage Motorized Bicycles

Board Trackers and Vintage Motorized Bicycles Vintage enthusiasts share your board trackers and other vintage motorized bicycles ideas, builds and replicas here

Old 03-01-2016, 11:14 PM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member

Default Re: 1911 Flying Merkel single build.

Here's Bob doing some trimming / welding and cleanup on the backbone to seat stays bit. Also prep work brazing the front and functional gas spigot. Another fake one for the "oil" fill will go further back on the tank.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FM10.1.jpg (522.3 KB, 81 views)
File Type: jpg FM11.1.jpg (396.4 KB, 89 views)
File Type: jpg FM12.jpg (563.4 KB, 89 views)
File Type: jpg FM14.jpg (591.6 KB, 92 views)
File Type: jpg FM15.jpg (467.6 KB, 81 views)

Last edited by Velodrome; 03-01-2016 at 11:32 PM.
Old 03-01-2016, 11:23 PM

Now for the brazing of the other ports. Big un without side support is the fake oil fill, On the bottom I have 3 small ones for 1/4 brass pipe fittings, one for the internal tank vent which will be plumbed in with the lint from the "oil" transfer spigot and the last one will deliver fuel to the motor. Bottom of the tank will have 2 hand made brass straps with nickle acorn nuts securing it. The holes for straps on the top of the tank will be filled and ground down flat. The upper attachment of tank to frame will be the large oil and gas fill ports brazed to the frame top tube!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FM16.jpg (495.4 KB, 52 views)
File Type: jpg FM17.jpg (585.8 KB, 59 views)
File Type: jpg FM18.jpg (516.2 KB, 47 views)
File Type: jpg FM19.1.jpg (448.5 KB, 50 views)

Last edited by Velodrome; 03-02-2016 at 09:55 AM.
Old 03-01-2016, 11:30 PM

LOTS of cleanup to do on all the brazing but it will look clean in the end. The handle bars by the way are custom mandrel bent 1" copies of a Velo Orange set I got. They were way too narrow for this build AND I wanted an internal throttle which you cant get unless you wanna trust a 40 year old one from a Honda trail 50.
Old 03-02-2016, 09:29 AM
The Boy Who Never Grew Up

Lookin' good...
SB
Old 03-06-2016, 03:14 PM

Got little bits of clean up done last week and a bit of work on the motor. Pulled the flywheel for getting the fins taken off on a lathe and eventual re balancing. Don't want it turning into a leg meat grinder if I ever fall off. I THINK I have the reduction drive figured out for it. At least I have a fiendish plan. And the parts for it are arriving already. No new pic's as my phone and computer are no longer speaking to each other. Don't know who offended who but new pic's are not recognized by the puter anymore. Gonna have to switch to my old camera for photo documentation. This week I hope to finish up the brazing and cleanup and mount the motor. Also have to sort out that internal throttle; and need to get the saddle mounted in a place I can live with it.
Old 03-07-2016, 03:43 PM

WELL POOP! Had all kinds of plans to get stuff done on the FM today BUT all my parts are locked up in Bob's shop and he's home swappin ends in the bathroom with the FLU Oh well.
Old 03-07-2016, 03:48 PM

Nothing like good old brazing, I think its the way to go and cleaned up nice it looks great. I like your choice of bars too.
Old 03-07-2016, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velodrome View Post
WELL POOP! Had all kinds of plans to get stuff done on the FM today BUT all my parts are locked up in Bob's shop and he's home swappin ends in the bathroom with the FLU Oh well.
Bummer! I'm willing to bet Bob feels worse about it. Home with the flu myself and having a real good time.
Old 03-08-2016, 10:16 PM

Managed to get into the shop today and do some little bits to the build. Bob still feels like he's been pulled through a keyhole sideways but he opened his shop today anyways...Not much done today. Spent most of my time at ACE Hardware chasing down fittings. Here's some pics with the tank in position. Hand made brass straps and tape holding it in for now till the top fuel / oil bungs get brazed to the top tube. Fab'd up a little bit of metal for the coaster and front drum torque arm stay and had Bob weld em on last week. A long time ago I found a good vet syringe to mod for a oil transfer pump
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FM1 (2).JPG (77.5 KB, 99 views)
File Type: jpg FM6.jpg (63.3 KB, 55 views)
File Type: jpg FM2.JPG (52.6 KB, 58 views)
File Type: jpg FM3.JPG (81.2 KB, 53 views)
File Type: jpg FM5.JPG (90.8 KB, 56 views)

Last edited by Velodrome; 03-08-2016 at 10:23 PM.
Old 03-08-2016, 10:19 PM

Scored some vintigulustic sorta rat traps on the "Bay" and made the reflectors get lost. I think they will work just fine.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FM4.JPG (84.9 KB, 60 views)