Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum  

Sponsors

Go Back   Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum > Motorized Bicycle > Motorized Bicycle Accessories

Motorized Bicycle Accessories What are some of your favorite accessories. Saddle bags, apparel ect. Use this area to share them.

Old 02-23-2016, 03:12 PM
Motorized Bicycle Senior Member

Default Re: Thoughts on this as a tank

Im thinking of switching my tank choice to the under rack rear tank for everyday riding as i want to be abke to use a set of conjoined nylon saddle bags that will fit in the baskets and the mind part goes over the rack. Its 3/4 gal capacity, and its deep enough i think it will fill from a gas pump without splash back. I think will be able to mount it to the wald rack either with mod or without. I might have to put a deck on the rack to attach the tank to. I will still get the boat tank for longer rides amd the way i figure it, even if i cant fill it from the tank, i can get one ot those trapezoidal 1 gal gas cans to put in the basket, that would give me a full tank, plus the can, and even after filling up from the can, it would have another quart to give if i ran out again. Has anyone used these little rack mounted tanks? Lynn at CMB sells them, but i have seen them elsewhere too.
Old 02-24-2016, 01:04 AM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member

My bikes used little 2-stroke weed wacker motors with little tanks. I carried a 20 ounce soda bottle for extra fuel, with a little Testors paint bottle in my tool bag with Amsoil - just enough to mix with the 20 oz of gas.

Putting gas in the little pop bottle was pretty easy since it is clear and hand-held. Pumping directly from the nozzle into a small, mounted tank might be trickier.

Don't worry about what others might think about you pumping into an "unapproved" container or putting 37 cents on the counter to pay for your fill-up. Ride proud, brother!

Even if you use an external, removable tank, do you think it would get stolen?
Not for the dollar worth of gas but maybe for the tank itself if it is snazzy enough? You gotta judge how shady your neighborhood is.

Good luck

Last edited by a_dam; 02-24-2016 at 01:08 AM.
Old 02-24-2016, 02:45 AM

Well the benefit of the boat tank is that i could use something like the master bike cuff (but based on the videos ive watched of master products, i might not use that) to lock it by the handle to thw frame, so they either have to cut the lock of the tank. I have been doing bikes for a while and havent had many theft issues in the past few years even with motorized rigs. This one is gonna be pretty nice looking though, so i may have to take extra precautions. I think the rear flat tank is less likely to be grabbed because its harder to see and not very big. I hadnt thought of motor theft really before but now im kinda worried about it. O well, no risk no reward.
Old 02-24-2016, 05:22 AM

This the B&S tank you're considering? http://www.amazon.com/Briggs-Stratto...atton+gas+tank

If so I have one I'd be happy to make a deal on (or a swap). Shoot me a PM if interested.

Edit - here's a really old thread in the for sale sub. The tank is shown there. Also have a round one that needs work. http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=46015

Last edited by Harold_B; 02-24-2016 at 07:40 AM.
Old 02-24-2016, 11:29 AM

Harold, i will keepnthat on mind, both of them. Im sure you can do better than 80 on the b&s tank that amazon wants. Still confoguring things in my head, unless someone tells me that all those under rack flat tanks are made of peanut butter or swiss cheese something, i think it would loom real good on my bike. Id like it to be green, butnill take what i can get. But, i will be starting a second build right after this one, and who knows what i will do with that one.
Old 02-24-2016, 11:33 AM

Just out of morbid curiosity, has anyone here dropped the hint to bikeberry that their ad should read turn your bike into a motorized scooter, not "a motorize scooter"? A few years ago when i got i to this, i almost dismissed them out of hand because pf the poor language usage.
Old 02-28-2016, 10:12 PM

They used to sell locking gas caps for the stock tank. Somebody did I forget who.