Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum  

Sponsors

Go Back   Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum > Motorized Bicycle > Motorized Bicycle Accessories

Motorized Bicycle Accessories What are some of your favorite accessories. Saddle bags, apparel ect. Use this area to share them.

Old 02-15-2016, 02:22 PM
Motorized Bicycle Senior Member

Default Thoughts on this as a tank

Im about to start a build and wanted to bounce this off you guys. Im gonna have a Wald dual basket rear rack on the bike amd rather than the stock tank, im going to buy a 3 gallon boat tank. My friend wally has them for like just under 40. Im not sure how im going to attach it yet. I was thinking ratchet straps in the appropriate spots. The tank also has a handle on it so i was thinking about making it more secure by usimg a master cuff lock aroind the handle and put the other end around the frame. I also thought about putting the tank in a bag that is specially modified to allow for the fuel line and attachment gear.
Questions?
Is three gallons full or patially full sloshing around in a turn too much unsprung weight?
It this too much of a target for meth heads or other theives? Is it more trouble than ots worth?

Any more mounting ideas? This is a link to the kind of tank im talking about
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0053HOWFY/...4b42bbda7763_S
Bonus feature, a light shined against the tank will cause it to glow red, so a simple blinky strategically placed will increase my nighttime visibility a lot.
Edoted to fix link, not sire how that happemed

Last edited by Greenbiker; 02-16-2016 at 03:13 PM.
Old 02-15-2016, 05:19 PM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member

Default Re: Thoughts on this as a tank

The night time visibility thing is a definite plus.

I doubt if having, say, 2 gallons of fuel over your rear wheel is the very worst thing you could do. But there might be times when you feel that weight pulling and pushing you around.

And 3 gallons will give you more range than you're ever going to need. That's good. But I wonder if it isn't overkill?

All in all, I don't think it's a terrible idea. And you might find that you like it. You might as well give it a shot, carefully, and see how it works.
Old 02-15-2016, 05:36 PM
Super Moderator

Three gallons of fuel is a lot. First consider the weight. Gasoline weighs a little over six pounds to the gallon. That will add about 20 pounds to your bike and the tank itself will weigh a bit, and it will be mounted high.

It might not impact stability too much but the lower the center of gravity, the better.

Of course you wouldn't have to fill the tank

Tom
Old 02-16-2016, 03:21 PM

Well this is stacking up to b an expensive build but worth it. The boat tank will eventually be replaced with a cylindrical aliminum tank of similar or smaller capacity as it will look better, be smaller in the right dorections, and **** its just cooler. And it can be painted to match the bike. The boat tank is cheaper and is out of the way behind me so thats what im gping to use for now. Im worried about jerks trying to steal the tank or its fuel when its tied up. I will build a cage for the aluminum tank when i get it, but until theni guess i will make due with the straps amd cuff lock.
Old 02-16-2016, 03:36 PM

It's definitely good to lock it up like you were saying, but I feel like if they'll go as far as stealing your gas tank, they'd probably just try to take the bike.
Old 02-16-2016, 04:03 PM

Yeah, ima gonna have that bike "on lock" as the hip hop crowd likes to say. Im not gonna say theft proof, but its gonna be a hard job to take it, i just didnt want to offer an easily snatchable valuable item up to the thievs out there, a boat tank full of gas is a boat tank full of gasafter all. Just to make sure im not over thinking this, one reason i decided to go withthe larger tank other than capacity, is because it seems like the small tear drop tanks would be a pain to fill from the pump, and that i would end up havong to carry a gas can with me to fill up on long fills or if i just let myself get too low to get back home. I can just see trying to fill such a small tank and getting a face full of gas as well as gas on the paint and motor. Is this a problem? Plus, with gas prices so low, its hard to go in and say i want .75$ of gas please, the clerk is gonna shake his head at you.
Old 02-17-2016, 10:40 AM

I've been advised to always mix your fuel ahead of time. I think that you can't count on proper mix when you put fuel and oil separately into the tank.

You can expect 50 miles or so from one peanut tank. Do you ever expect to need more?
Old 02-17-2016, 11:25 AM

I agree with the mixing ahead of time part, but I think his bike is a 4 stroke so he wanted to be able to go fill up at gas stations. However with the tiny tanks these bikes have and the high flow pumps at the gas stations, he's worried it'll be like filling a water bottle with a fire hose. Plus if the gas spashes out it can damage the paint and soak you with gas etc. I mean technically you could just gently squeeze the handle so it doesn't blast out of the nozzle, but it would still be nice if there were a clever solution so he wouldn't have to worry about it as much. I'll keep brainstorming haha.
Old 02-17-2016, 12:01 PM

I could use one of the brigs 1 gal metal tanks they sell on amazon for 80. I think i coukd fill that with no splash back, and it woukd barely look like it was there on a tail rack, but its a bottom feed so i have to make sure theres space and clearance for the line and fenter and such, thats what i like about the boat tank, top feed, means i can use an internal weighted fuel filter, which cleans up my fuel system visually amd i can have a solid fuel line rather than having to splice in a filter. And yes im gonna use a 4 stroke so i dont have to worry about mix.
Old 02-17-2016, 11:48 PM

Aha! .......A four cycle engine.

That takes care of the mixing worry.