Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum  

Sponsors

Go Back   Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum > Motorized Bicycle > Board Trackers and Vintage Motorized Bicycles

Board Trackers and Vintage Motorized Bicycles Vintage enthusiasts share your board trackers and other vintage motorized bicycles ideas, builds and replicas here

Old 01-03-2017, 09:13 AM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member

Default Re: 98cc Villiers on a 1945 Sears Roebuck

Cobbble hmm I think you mean cool! Everything is spaced out so you can see what's going on. When you can see the chains and sprockets un covered and the mechanics of the drive it is awsome..and you have awsome. Now when everything is packed in with a chain or belt coming out that's cobbled. Your vision is unique,cool and clean. I bet if you move the bike to a spot like in front of the garage door and then take a picture it will be clear it's awsome.
Old 01-03-2017, 03:34 PM

Absolute perfection from where I'm sitting.

Steve.
Old 01-03-2017, 08:05 PM

Thanks guys. It's growing on me. Maybe that little remaining dissatisfaction I have will keep me working toward a better result and that's not such a bad thing I guess. I've been ordering parts and other little things like decals and pin stripes with my goal of having this ready to ride in the spring. The weld in place sprocket for the engine came in the mail today but a last minute road trip took the place of garage time. Temps are supposed to drop again tomorrow so getting on with it may have to wait.
Old 01-03-2017, 08:09 PM

Many times we are our own worst critic.

Steve.
Old 01-22-2017, 11:59 AM

Days like yesterday make me giddy for spring. It was still really wet in the garage from condensation but the sunshine was awesome. Slipped on the sprocket for the drive chain from the engine to the tranny. I thought I would need to have the Villiers sprocket turned down but a 1.5" I.D. sprocket slides right on. I'll need to put a flat on the O.D. Of the Villiers sprocket for the set screw but I think this will work out fine. I haven't calculated the gear ratios as yet either which seems a little backwards in the order I'm doing things but mostly it's just a matter of being lazy. Spinning the clutch in first gear has the pulley driving the rear wheel barely moving so this might just be a stump puller in low. That's what I want in a general sense to get a relatively heavy bike and my big behind moving from a dead stop at the base of a hill.

Also getting a different shifter done. I didn't like the linkage that I'd made before and thought I should be making one while I'm getting the rest of the drive train in place so that I'm sure I have room for everything.
Old 01-22-2017, 04:16 PM

Harold that's some serious build you're working on and it appears you've a good handle on the powertrain at this point. I'm really liking the the chains exposed as they are, but know guards are also favored by many and can also look great on the classic roadsters especially. Keep at building as time and elements permit 'cause Spring is coming and riding trumps fabrication, most days. Rick C.
Old 02-19-2017, 10:52 AM

Yesterday was very springlike weather wise and today is supposed to be the same. I hope to spend some time in the garage today too. Added the bracket to the frame for the front jackshaft mount. As usual it's hard to see detail in my dark photos but it's there and I'm happy with it. If all goes well today it'll be fender braces or floorboards.

For any of the other Villiers builders out there you might take a look at this NOS jug:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/172526034793...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
Old 02-19-2017, 11:26 AM

I knew you would be out! Awsome weather from r sure...build is great what more can I say!
Old 02-19-2017, 11:56 PM

Thanks Moto. Wish this weather was here to stay but I'm not holding my breath. Limited time in the garage today with family dropping by. Priorities and I'm good with that. Did get a good start on the fender braces though. Maybe I can squeeze an hour in here or there to make some more progress before it gets cold again.
Old 02-20-2017, 07:07 AM

Glad to see you back to it Harold. With apologies I use some lyrics from rock 'n roll philosophy..."any progress is good progress so I take what I can get, yes I take what I can get"...So we ain't seen nothin' yet, right?
Rick C.