Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum  

Sponsors

Go Back   Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum > Motorized Bicycle > Motorized Cruiser Bicycles

Motorized Cruiser Bicycles The beach cruiser has always been great bicycles to motorize. They just look good with a motor. Use this section to share and discuss about motorizing this classic.

Old 04-22-2015, 05:56 PM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member

Default Re: Huffy Cranbrook. To motorize or not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatdaddy View Post
I got a sign that says,
LABOR- $35 per hour
YOU WATCH- $45 per hour
YOU HELP- $65 per hour
fatdaddy.
AAAHaaahhh !
I like it.

There is however a difference between what we have built and some other builders repair.
If we built it we drop what we doing and take care of it, usually for free.

For OP builds we tend to let them watch if they like while we point out everything that is wrong first and then send them on their way until it's done.

I don't do much of the OP builder repairs now though, they are always a time consuming dirty frustrating job that don't pay squat for the time even at $35 an hour as there usually is always 'something else' that needs done before the 'symptom' problem can be done right and the cost ends up more than just staring over with new bike and biting the loss.

A lot of Huffy Cranbrooks end up in the 'bone yard' for POS $200 builds, yet people keep building them...

The difference between ignorance and stupidity is ignorance simply means you didn't know better to start with, stupidity is repeating the same mistake expecting a different outcome the next time.

A $100 new bike is a POS to motorize as is, PERIOD!

'nuff said?

Last edited by KCvale; 04-22-2015 at 06:18 PM.
Old 04-22-2015, 06:44 PM

KC that isnt always the case, I know how much you hate the Huffy Bikes and like to express that on here as much as possible when the topic comes up, but I personally have a Huffy Karaoke that has well over 1000 miles on it since 2010, has not been ba ied around at all and has been a very good riding dependable bike from the beginning, no issues with wheels or frame.

Now I know others have had problems, Im not sure if all of them were the bike or the builder and I know the coaster hu s aren't top notch, but mine has been a good bike and the Falcon coaster hub has held up ver6 good.

Proper set up and lubrication to all bearings is gonna determine reliablity on them since some come with very little grease in bearings and such, but I have several bikes that have been good ones and none are "high end" bikes, so to say a good motorized bike cant be had from a cheaper bike just isnt the truth.
Old 04-26-2015, 03:25 PM

The 2010, 2011 cranbrook came out with extra heavy frame welding and steel rims with 12 guage spokes. I have no idea about before or after those years. I got mine in 2011 and I've had a few engine problems but the ONLY problem with the bike is the coaster brakes, DONT trust them. And like any bike ya wanna motorize. service it first. Ya cant trust the Chinese guy to get enough grease in the bearings. My Cranny has been a nice ride.
fatdaddy.
Old 04-26-2015, 03:52 PM

Quote:
The 2010, 2011 cranbrook came out with extra heavy frame welding and steel rims with 12 guage spokes. I have no idea about before or after those years. I got mine in 2011 and I've had a few engine problems but the ONLY problem with the bike is the coaster brakes, DONT trust them. And like any bike ya wanna motorize. service it first. Ya cant trust the Chinese guy to get enough grease in the bearings. My Cranny has been a nice ride.
fatdaddy.
I agree on all points, I have had good service from my 2010 Huffy, I wish I knew more about the newer ones so I dont have to just assume they're the same quality as the older one I have, I tend to defend the Huffy cruiser bikes based on my personal experience but this may not be true for the newer ones.....shrug...?????
Old 12-20-2016, 11:28 AM
Motorized Bicycle Newbie

The Cranbrooks are ideal for an inexpensive build. Solid steel frame and 12 ga spoke offer a leg up on most bikes.

Take off all the fenders. We just had a crash from the rear fender brackets breaking off.

Check your spoke tension, check the grease and bearings. Get real brakes. You guys need to charge more for a build.
Old 12-20-2016, 11:41 AM
Motorized Bicycle Senior Member

i find very little grease that's like a tar and bearings super tight on the crank and steering head on most if not all of the low $$ bikes. cheap coaster brake = broken bones.
grease em good, pre load ALL bearings and add brakes and a decent tensioner is my formula for reliability....
Old 01-07-2017, 01:26 PM

Smile Re: Huffy Cranbrook. To motorize or not?

Take a look at my bike. at lest 1500 miles. No problem with the bike at all.

Search My old bike by Scrollerguy.
Old 01-07-2017, 07:05 PM

Wink Re: Huffy Cranbrook. To motorize or not?

If you read my post, you will see I have a Drum rear brake, along with a rear brake, also with a front brake.

The fenders are bullit proof, the front end has been replaced. And just because I am retired
I hve been a Master Mechanic for 40 years. Money is tight, I have to make it right.
Old 01-08-2017, 11:06 AM

Quote:
fatdaddy.
Agreed, but as far as I am concerned "Huffy" means "Cheap Toy" in some language and I sure won't build on a bike for the 99 store ;-}

Save

Tags
cranbrook, huffy