Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum  

Sponsors

Go Back   Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum > Motorized Bicycle > Board Trackers and Vintage Motorized Bicycles

Board Trackers and Vintage Motorized Bicycles Vintage enthusiasts share your board trackers and other vintage motorized bicycles ideas, builds and replicas here

Old 01-05-2015, 07:05 PM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member

Default Re: Old Guys Simplex moto-peddle bike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludwig II View Post
Essentially, you advocate being sneaky and grovelling. Well done!
I've enjoyed your comments on bikes and viewed your quite good taste of same.

Are you familiar with the witty exchange between your Prime minister Churchill & I if I recall correctly Oscar Wilde? It goes something like this. A delivery was made to Churchill consisting of two tickets to the opening night performance of Mr. Wilde's new play & a personal note which read, "Dear Winston I hope you will attend the opening night performance of my most recent production, enclosed are two tickets for you and a friend...if you have one!" To which the Prime Minister tersely replied, "Sorry old fellow I've a prior engagement and won't be able to attend opening night, but will be sure to be present for the following nights performance...if their is one!"

Vinegar and honey one works the other is just sour. Keep building & writing, I like! Rick C.
Old 01-05-2015, 07:36 PM

It was George Bernard Shaw, not Wilde. Wilde died in Paris from tertiary syphilis, I think. His dying words were reported as "Either that wallpaper goes or I do."
Old 01-05-2015, 09:03 PM

Good catch Ludwig, & another memorable quote from the "Wilde man", I think we'll get on well.> Rick C.
Old 01-06-2015, 05:04 PM

Done deal on the engine transplant for the Simplex. I've gone for the Honda CG-150 which is a single overhead cam vertical engine design with 12v electric & kick start. Develops 13.3 hp and 9.1 ft. lbs. of torque...new engine but an older design used extensively in Brazilian manufactured m and world wide but not seen much here in the States. Very similar in size and appearence to the CB-150 OHV which is common here. Should be in my hands in next couple of weeks. I'll try to post a photo. Weighs in I'm told at around 50 lbs. dry wt.
I'm skeptical about the engine dimensions I was given, but I'll believe it when I see it.
Old 01-06-2015, 05:29 PM
The Boy Who Never Grew Up

That sounds like plenty of power and nice that it has both electric & kick start. It has built in gears? Will you be able to run lights off of the engine?
SB
Old 01-06-2015, 05:57 PM

Yes SB has built in 5 speed gear clusters and 12v output for lights and accessories. Just got back from the mythical barn where all the goodies come from. More treasures located, brake pedal, foot rest pads and a Simplex seat pan in great condition for recovering. Life is wonderful, can't wait to dive back in there and find the Holy grail or King Arthurs Excaliber...so yes I believe in myths.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG0001-001.JPG (113.1 KB, 55 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0003.JPG (96.2 KB, 48 views)
Old 01-09-2015, 09:57 AM

A few clarifiications about my choice of a Honda design CG-150 engine for this build. After considering the space to be filled in the chassis and the look I was after and the use the bike is intended for,I selected a 4 cycle engine for my personal use, not because I dislike 2 cycles. I normally select 2 cycles for my tribute bikes & I considered KTM & other integrated engine & transmission 2 cycles for this project, any one of which would have been a good choice. The Honda clone engines were considered and rejected not because I didn't think they were excellent candidates, they were...for single speed builds. I wanted 4 cycle OHV/OHC, multi-speed integrated 5speed transmission, kick/electric start (bad shoulder so pull start is not my best option for personal use), light weight, small size, vertical cylinder design, with well placed mounting points, over 12 hp, 12v electrics with simple CDI, proven design and decent fuel mileage report (68.6 mpg for a 350 lb. motorcycle 10,000 mile average) that's readily available and moderately priced under $500 with decent parts availibility and an attractively styled appearance.

Lot of criteria involved in proper power and power train selection, for any motor driven project. I've gone through the mental gymnastics for over 50 years with multiple projects on bikes and automotive. Street rides and racing use also enter into and greatly complicate or clarify the designers decision regarding power selection.

Personal conversations with other builders, none of these members of this fine forum, prompted this post about what I consider the basics of power selection & certainly is not intended to be exhaustive let alone complete.

My suggestion is think it through before spending and building. Rick C
Old 01-09-2015, 10:32 AM
The Boy Who Never Grew Up

Rick,
It sounds like a good engine choice for what you want. Giving long thought to the engine choice is like "creative staring" at the whole bike. Together they lead to a good plan and in the end what you wanted and a bike to be proud of. With the power of the engine and multi speeds this sounds like it is going to be a pretty capable ride. Fast, nimble and light weight. Vroom... Oh boy!
SB

Last edited by silverbear; 01-09-2015 at 10:35 AM.
Old 01-09-2015, 08:49 PM

The serial number is on the bottom of the flat area right behind the fork tube.
Old 01-10-2015, 06:40 AM

Having raced a CG125, I can say from experience, the cam profile on these engines makes them into (for their size) grunt monsters. They aren't particularly fast on the top, but the takeoff is phenomenal. We'd make up 3 rows on the starting grid when the lights changed, often having to take to the grass to go round the mob in front.

A 150 should be even better.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BB2.JPG (79.5 KB, 129 views)