Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum  

Sponsors

Go Back   Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum > Bicycle Motor > Morini Bicycle Engine

Morini Bicycle Engine Italian made Franco Morini engines are the ultimate bicycle motor. Learn and share how to get the most out of morini motors.

Old 06-04-2014, 09:57 AM
Santa Cruz Scooter Works

Default Re: Ktm 50 Clutch, Exhaust and Jackshaft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goat Herder View Post
Tomar clutches for these engines should come mandatory from the factory!! Just got no use ''lowls'' After farting with the stock one. Gave it a go too. Tomar Baby!
Yes, Tomar clutches are awesome because you can adjust the engagement. I have mine set high @ 8k rpm for racing. I took my bike around the block for a cruise the other day and it was fun to ride but it was also turning heads because the neighbors thought I was racing around so I didn't ride it that long.
Old 06-06-2014, 06:44 PM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member

As a couple others have said I am running a KTM 50 with an SBP shift kit. Make sure you are very familiar with setup and adjusting a rear derailleur. Also don't hammer the gears when you shift, be sure to lt off the throttle for each upshift and roll the throttle back on kinda smoothly. You will also want to be good at retensioning and trueing rear wheels, the shifting works the spokes a little. To be honest I was surprised that the 8 speed chain/freewheels have been holding up, I have had minor problems but they were few and were really self inflicted. The biggest problem was a bent rear sprocket caused by shifting at full throttle in the heat of an on track battle, the sprocket bent because it was a very lightweight rear cassette, there wasn't enuff metal and the sprocket folded over on an upshift. I have long since switched to a Shimano Megarange rear cassette that is much more beefy!

Some [posted a link to my bulid so that may help.

I welded some flat bar tabs to the jackshaft bracket for the engine mounts and that worked pretty well.The frame that you posted pics of look like it will be a tight fit if it does fit at all. I wouldnt worry about the aluminum frame, I have seen a few KTM engines on aluminum frames without problems.

Last edited by Wild Bill; 06-06-2014 at 07:07 PM.
Old 06-06-2014, 06:57 PM

Oh ya I forgot to add that you want the clutch RPM to start to grab right above idle to keep the power from yanking on the chain and freewheels. I removed a spring washer from each shoe so theres no spring preload on the shoe and I used shims to keep any play out. That got me to where the clutch starts to grab just above idle. On the very first couple test rides when the engine was cold the clutch had very slight drag when I first fired up the engine and after the engine ran about 30 seconds the drag went away. Then after a few test rides there was no drag at all at idle.

On a single speed setup you need a high clutch rpm to get you into the power band since you run a higher gear ratio on a single speed and you need the power to get rolling, on a shifter setup you have a much lower first gear and you don't need or want that kinda power or you will tear stuff up.

And I wouldn't use an SBP pipe, that's too small for this kind of RPM, you really need to use a 50cc dirt bike pipe, I found a new KTM 50 pipe w/silencer on Ebay for $70 w/free shipping. Good luck on your build and keep us up to date.

Heres a vid of the bike..... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_j5y9XDyKw

Last edited by Wild Bill; 06-06-2014 at 07:09 PM.
Old 09-19-2015, 06:14 PM

Hey Bill I've been kind of following you on your builds and racing gt the last couple of yrs and am only mentioning this because I know you are interested in and quite educated on the ktm's...
Well as it is I have a complete 2006 liquid cooled bike that has such low run time that you can almost call it new...plus has the aftermarket fatty pipe and silencer which my brother in law was told his 5 yr old daughter would have to have...whatever??? LOL!! He paid $310 for it too.Anyway like I say everything is there rad is perfect shape... **** it's ALL perfect.
Interested ??
Whole bike ?
Motor & rad ?
Motor and pipe ?
Whatever works for you or anyone else who might want it I am open to any serious offers as it is a very serious little motor/package.
Let me know.
Ron.
Old 02-21-2016, 04:38 PM

I thought the point of using a 11k rpm motor was to use the rpm. wouldn't it make a faster setup, esp. for racing? by using a hub mounted sprocket adapter. then 2 sprockets on the rear left. That would give you acceleration and speed.a upside by having no jack shaft.that whole jack shaft setup leaves a lot to be desired. With just a 80cc jug, nt carb, angle plug head an a tuned pipe that worked I would flex that stuff out of shape all the time. taking the whole drive system down and a hour of frustration getting all back in alignment. It wouldn't be that hard to make a derailleur to shift the left side drive chain just be able to hit 2 gears. with 11k rpm range and over 9 hp it would be all the gear spread you would need and far more dependable. also providing the tensioner too. maybe a uhmw chain guide at the motor to keep the chain feeding straight. (uhmw is the high density usually white plastic lots of cutting boards get made from.) (ultra high molecular weight )

It is tough the chain could rub it for hundreds of miles with little wear. Heck you can tap threads into it. GL
Old 02-21-2016, 04:43 PM

You might have to use 3 just to get the chain to jump reliably from the smaller back to the bigger low speed one.

Tags
50cc, 9 hp, custom build, ktm, ktm 50