Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum  

Sponsors

Go Back   Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum > Motorized Bicycle > Board Trackers and Vintage Motorized Bicycles

Board Trackers and Vintage Motorized Bicycles Vintage enthusiasts share your board trackers and other vintage motorized bicycles ideas, builds and replicas here

Old 06-01-2014, 05:54 PM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member

Talking !! ITS THE POPE !! Ya: He swings both ways...

Well alrighty. Now starts the reboot of my BTR build. This all started a LONG time ago with my discovery of this site and Dan Orabonas work at Taylar cycles. Fell in love with the BTR look and decided I wanted to build one. Not having ANY skills at the time and wanting it done properly I purchased a brand new Worksman Industrial Newsboy and had it shipped directly to Dan. I have only 2 regrets about the build as done by Dan. And BOTH are my fault. Dan suggested that I have the frame stretched 3 or 4 inches. Being both cheap and uninformed I declined. Should have done it. The next was going with a 66cc 2 stroke. Once the rideable build was back in my hands I quickly got annoyed with the 2 stroke and the short couple between the saddle and the handlebars. The original build thread can be seen HERE: http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=31870 I eventually parked the bike in the garage and there it sat for YEARS. I originally started all this spring of 2011. Since: I have built and completed 2 four stroke builds and am now commited to the 4 stroke. See: Chief say HOW! and PPFST build threads. Recently, after vacillating on how to go about finishing on a theme and workable plan I finally made up my mind. Close but not quite semi replica of a 1914 Pope. 4 stroke with a twist. I would use a 97cc flathead from a Doodlebug mini bike and loose the springer front end. and with a little cleverness, the bike would be a "convertible" swapping bars and saddle morphing from BTR to Gentleman's Express. Getting closer: PICTURES!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg POPE GE 1.jpg (1.15 MB, 383 views)
File Type: jpg Pope BTR 1.jpg (873.2 KB, 396 views)
File Type: jpg Pope GE 2.jpg (1.10 MB, 400 views)
File Type: jpg Pope BTR 2.jpg (664.4 KB, 391 views)
Old 06-01-2014, 06:00 PM

Default Re: !! ITS THE POPE !! Ya: He swings both ways...

Funny how long this build has been in the works. Heres a thread from 10-12 on the motor: http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=43336
Old 06-01-2014, 06:18 PM

Here by the way is the inspiration for and final color scheme of this build. ~ 1914 POPE
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1915 POPE inspiration.jpg (407.7 KB, 269 views)
Old 06-03-2014, 12:00 PM

I'd have to go with the BTR bro This has turned out to be a Very Nice! build Keep up the good work!
Old 06-03-2014, 12:48 PM

Thanks T. The BTR REALLY wants to handle! Throw it into a corner and it does what its told with gusto. HOWEVER: The problem is with the 7" bent cranks once I'm on the thing going and all bent over I have to ride for a bit with one knee up on the up side pedal till I have some speed up. Then I can sit up and THROW my knee above my ear to get my foot on the pedal and ride properly. I would buy Lynns at http://custommotoredbicycles.com/wid...bottom_bracket bout half way down the page... but they are cottered; and I already have all my bottom bracket bits and Phantom CroMo shaft nickle plated. I need a shorter set of taper fit; bent pedal's but nobody makes em. SO I guess I'll have to... New set; a die grinder, then off to my pro welder
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Crank cut 2.0.jpg (681.4 KB, 137 views)
Old 06-03-2014, 01:46 PM

I like! Looks nimble and sleek.Those lil engines rock ,how is it in a single speed. Have you tried a different carb besides factory?
Old 06-03-2014, 03:04 PM

I ran the stock carb on my flathead for awhile, but now I'm running the mikuni pz19 carb, and I like it much better. No external throttle linkage needed. I haven't done a speed run yet (at least not a successful one lol, the carb needed tuned very badly the first time I tried), but she pulls real nice with this carb.
Old 06-03-2014, 06:21 PM

I'm running a reworked stock carb from Hotrodminibikes this one I think. http://www.shop.hotrodminibike.com/R...etor-RCR97.htm seems to work very nicely. I might someday monkey around with one of those Mikuni's as I would like to loose my home made linkage. Its all very fussy.

Last edited by Velodrome; 06-03-2014 at 06:23 PM.
Old 06-03-2014, 08:58 PM

Love the chrome on the motor
Old 06-03-2014, 09:02 PM

I know the newer OHV engines are faster, but I still prefer those flat heads.