Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum  

Sponsors

Go Back   Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum > Motorized Bicycle > Motorized Bicycle Accessories

Motorized Bicycle Accessories What are some of your favorite accessories. Saddle bags, apparel ect. Use this area to share them.

Old 07-12-2013, 03:31 PM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member

Default Re: Bicycle lock suggestions

yeah, I've had one stolen myself, luckily I only spent $230 on the whole thing. My current one has almost $1000 dumped into it (including spare and aftermarket parts). Bike locks will only slow a thief down, if they KNOW they have the time to get it, they will, but most thieves wont take the risk and move along. I highly recommend against cable locks, as I was using one when my first bike was stolen. Simple bolt cutters get through them like butter. Chain and locks are the next step up, obviously harder to cut, probably much noisier too, most thieves wont go for this and the next level up: the U lock. My lock is rated to 40 Tons, basically enough that if someone attempts to remove the lock using a truck, it'll either destroy the bike, or the truck hitch/frame/whatever they used. Cheap U-locks are susceptible to drills so get yourself a good double-locking one. I use bullguard, they have a $2,500 guarantee that your bike is safe (it may have been $10,000, I dont really know. This basically means if your bike is stolen, they'll cover a replacement up to said guarantee).

And the final level, as stated if a thief really wants your bike, they'll get it. Thats where spybike comes in. How are they going to know the seat post is a tracker? They gunna ride it without the seat? enjoy the bumps . Anyway the spybike or phone tracker route is the only way to 99.9% guarantee that you will have your bike as long as you want it. Noone is going to check for a GPS or well hidden phone (has to be attached to the bike, they could very well just rip bags off) when they're in a hurry to get away with it.
Old 07-12-2013, 07:18 PM
Old, Fat, and still faster than you

I disagree. U-locks are quite easy to pop with a small bottle or screw jack.
Get a chain. Hardened rigging chain is best.
Much harder to pry or twist apart.
Old 07-12-2013, 07:59 PM

Anyone ever try the tygr lock? made out of titanium and super light weight n firs right at the center of the frame for an easy storage?
Old 07-13-2013, 12:51 AM
STREETRACER/MANUFACTURER

Pics would be helpful dc.
Old 07-13-2013, 01:30 AM

http://tigrlock.com/product/

Came across this in another thread and thought it was very cool. So simple design and since it is wide, bolt cutters wouldn't do justice. Maybe a hacksaw of some sort, but if someone is doing that out in the open then.....it be a lil suspicious lol
Old 07-13-2013, 06:10 PM
Old, Fat, and still faster than you

Master makes a bike and motorcycle lock that looks like big handcuffs that are probably the best aftermarket setup I've seen. Heavy though.
Old 07-16-2013, 03:00 PM

I vote for this one.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Kryptonite...-Lock/19721330

I had a thief try to steal my bike and the crappy little bell wire style he cut through like butter cause it was gone. he was working on this bike lock and it made a bunch of noise outside my window before he had the chance to pick it. I don't even know if it's possible to pick it.
Old 07-17-2013, 12:47 AM
STREETRACER/MANUFACTURER

Nope, nothing a can of Freon to freeze it and one good smack from a Hammer and someone WILL BE RIDING IT BECAUSE THEY DID JUST STEEL IT.
Old 07-17-2013, 08:58 AM

Put a basket on your bike, get a short chain and collar. Attach the short chain to the inside of the basket attach the collar to a skunk. LOL

On the more serious side. I use a keyed rubber coated steal cable which has a kevlar sleeve inside it. I also have a keyed kryptonite U lock as well.
Old 07-19-2013, 08:33 AM

At my old job we had lockers and part of my job was to make sure they were empty for the next occupant. A lot of people would leave their locks on the lockers and I'd have to cut them off. We had a pair of medium sized bolt cutters to do the job. I'm not a big woman but I'm strong for my size. I was always surprised at how easily those bolt cutters sliced through the hardened steel locks, like buttah. Even my weakling boss was able to use them in emergency situations. So I'm sure that they slice through most cables like there is nothing there.

That being said, I've got 3 cable locks, 2 medium priced with the lock integrated and one I use a master lock with. One goes through the front tire frame and whatever I'm locking to, the other the rear tire frame and whatever I'm locking to and finally the last one is to attach the frame to my helmet and whatever I'm locking to. If I want to go lighter, I taker just the heavier of the cables and a couple of keyed pad locks. I lock the front tire to whatever is available and put a padlock on each tire hanging out so that it will hit the frame when the wheel is turned. Mostly I know that all I'm doing is making my bike a pain in the butt for someone to try and steal, it's just a deterrent and if someone wants it, it'll be gone. But if it's a choice between my 1991 trek with motor or someone's swank new beach cruiser, which one is the thief going to go for? I always assume it'll be the easier sell. And around here, the easier sell isn't going to be the motorized bike.

I've never had a bike stolen even when I lived on campus and people stole bikes all the time and I was riding something worthy of being stolen.

The big thing I worry about is someone stealing the seat, not that it's ever happened to me, but I see a lot of abandoned bikes sans seat. A thing I read and plan on trying is to take a length of bike chain, slide it into an inner tube, thread the chain and tube through the frame and then the seat rails, then connect the bike chain to itself, cover the whole thing with the innertube and then ziptie the tube in place, put seat up to where you normally ride, keeping the rubber coated chain tight. Supposedly the rubber and the bike chain don't play well with bolt cutters.

Tags
bicycle lock, bike lock, good bike locks, locks