Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum  

Sponsors

Go Back   Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum > Bicycle Motor > 2 Stroke Bicycle Engines & Kits

2 Stroke Bicycle Engines & Kits 2 stroke engine kits need careful installation and setup, find out how from our professionals here!

Old 04-24-2015, 09:03 AM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member

Default Re: are 2 stroke engine kits the same?

Yup... people have been using standard non detergent oils in their 2 smokers for decades before all these specialty oils came out with no trouble at all... I remember growing up everyone just bought regular motor oil and mixed it up for their dirtbikes and nobody messed up their engines. The new synthetic oils are really good and do the job quite well but nobody's ever messed up an engine running between 20:1 and 40:1 with regular non synthetic motor oils... that's all we used about 30 years ago.
Old 04-24-2015, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davezilla View Post
Yup... people have been using standard non detergent oils in their 2 smokers for decades before all these specialty oils came out with no trouble at all... I remember growing up everyone just bought regular motor oil and mixed it up for their dirtbikes and nobody messed up their engines. The new synthetic oils are really good and do the job quite well but nobody's ever messed up an engine running between 20:1 and 40:1 with regular non synthetic motor oils... that's all we used about 30 years ago.
Yeah, I been wanting to experiment with one of these engines on an old school oil mix for a good while, Im NOT recommending people to do what Im doing with this one, but since this is pretty much how all 2 stroke were run for years and other countries still use whatever oil they can find for the 2 strokes.

Ya know how us tinkerers are, always gotta be messing with something just for the heck of it, Im just having a little fun with this one and after pulling the head off yesterday and replacing the little round pancake head for the Puch Hi Hi 70cc head I can tell the engine is getting plenty of protection, bore looks very good, piston has no buildup on crown, just a dark slick shiny plating of carbon.

I guess the biggest surprise to me so far is the lack of smoke, I was actually hoping fo a good smoke screen @ 25:1 on the 40wt non detergent but this thing hardly smokes at all accept when it first starts up and even then there isnt that much unless I really rev it out a few times, this leads me to believe a lot of oil is staying in the crankcase and kepping things lubed up good.

Another good thing is I have several quarts of the 40wt non detergent, bought a bunch a couple years back at Big Lots because thats what I like to use in my chainsaws for bar &chain lube, never liked the thick stuff.

Im gonna run this engine like this for it lifetime is the plan right now, heck it might outlast me....lol!
Old 04-24-2015, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sublunacy View Post
waste of time reading this wow. somebody using auto engine oil for premix. another guy puts it in his 600 pound 4 stroke motorcycle w an integrated transmission and wet clutch? is that correct.i have been down that road w knowitall garage mechanics before.
auto engine oil ruins wet cork clutch plates end of story!
dont argue w me to restore your ego!
Don't seem to be any argument at all, NO ego bro, Just facts. I've been down the road a couple times too. And when someone says, Don't argue with me I'M RIGHT, Well, I gotta at least look into it. It seems regular 30wt or in some cases (in Russia and China,) even used crankcase oil works OK. I'm just glad yer not one of those knowitall garage mechanics. And I hope ya didn't waste too much more of yer time reading this.
fatdaddy.

Last edited by fatdaddy; 04-24-2015 at 02:05 PM.
Old 04-27-2015, 01:33 PM
Motorized Bicycle Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davezilla View Post
Non-detergent motor oils have worked well in many 2 stroke applications for a very long time. Plug life suffers though. Heck, I still have my old Sears spark plug cleaning kit...
Old 08-03-2015, 06:06 AM

It seems to me that the 80cc ebay kits come with either the "speed" carb , with the rectangular air filter opening or the NT carb with 4 round openings.

Anyone just purchase a ebay kit and care to share photos?
Old 08-03-2015, 07:39 AM

I bought one recently to compare it to my own engine kit I sell. I was pretty far from impressed. Don't buy those kits! The one I got had a 3 piece crank with bolted on steel plates, and was really a piece of junk.

Old 08-03-2015, 07:41 AM

Kit had 415, no 415HD

Not good stuff!!

All the ebay engines right now are pretty shotty. There are plenty of other venders with better stuff, pay the extra buck!
Old 08-03-2015, 11:19 AM

kits I get have good chain, also have tensioner that locks for one-hand adjusting rather than reaching thru spokes to get to adjuster bolt, has same angle-cut balanced muffler, has longer clutch arm for easier pull, has wide front mount for fitting to cruisers, and best of all, has NO pink carb