Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum  

Sponsors

Go Back   Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum > Motorized Bicycle > Motor Bicycle Safety And Stolen Motorized Bicycle Alerts

Motor Bicycle Safety And Stolen Motorized Bicycle Alerts Share safety tips. Some of these bicycle engines will reach great speeds and need respect. Also post stolen motorized bicyclesand maybe someone will let you know if seen

Old 08-07-2015, 02:02 PM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member

Default Re: Anyone use a full face helmet?

I wear a Hurd(sp?) snow board, skate board helmet. It's fluorescent green, which is a color that stands out more than any other I've ever seen on the road. There is nothing in nature, nor are many man made items found in this color, so it really draws attention. It's Very lightweight, and ventilated. I wear a Davida helmet in cold weather.
I always wear leather shoes or boots, and I always wear gloves.
I ride with a firm mind set that I am invisible.
Old 08-08-2015, 12:20 AM

Yeah I wear my flight line jacket when it's cold out since it's neon yellow with reflective strip on the nack, chest, and sleeves so I'm a lot more viable when the weather cools down. I used to have some of those neon colored mesh vests which work good in the summertime but don't have any of them now. We had to wear them on base anytime we were on a bicycle or motorcycle so I always had one folded up somewhere on the bike.
When I ride now it's always a helmet, a half shell for the summertime along with eye protection like safety glasses or sun glasses with polycarbonate lenses so they won't shatter if a rock flies up etc. I also wear gloves all the time because anytime you get separated from your bike when it's moving the first thing everyone does by reflex is to put your hands out to break the fall, and pavement can grind off all the skin from your palms in a fraction of a second. Even at low speed if you throw your hands out to break a fall there's all kinds of stuff that can shred your hands like small pebbles or gravel, pieces of broken glass or whatever... it can still hurt you at under 5 mph.
I always wear steel toe boots too for ankle support and to protect the feet. The steel toes aren't mamdatory, but on a motorcycle it makes shifting thru the gears a lot more pleasant and a lot easier.
In warm weather I wear a leather vest since it'll slide on the pavement and it will save you from a lot of road rash on your back or chest. In the winter or colder months I wear the thick leather jackets with body armor in the back, elbows, and shoulders. I got a mesh jacket with body armor for the summer months and wear it when on the motorcycles if I have to go thru heavy traffic or if it's raining.
And I prefer the full face helmet for longer trips since it's quieter, more comfortable, and we'll vented so it stays nice and cool inside on the highway. I also like the full face when on the motorized bikes when going fast but prefer the half shell helmets for just cruising.
Old 08-08-2015, 10:38 PM

I wouldn't wear a fullface in my area, it would attract a lot of unwanted attention. I know the engine is loud, but it can be turned off and pedaling can appear normal.
Old 03-10-2016, 02:33 AM
Motorized Bicycle Senior Member

I dont know what it was, but i was doing about 25 or 30 on an old friction drive staton kit one night, and got hit HARD in the eye with SOMETHING BIG! It wasnt a bug, it was heavy, dry and left nothing behind. It hurt so much, im surprised i didnt loose control and fall, but i held it up. It coukd have been a bat or bird, but what ever it was hit like a three year old having a fit flailing around with those creepy little fists they have. Didnt bruise, but it felt like it should have. I started wearing safety glasses after that. A visor of some sort would be a good idea even it wasnt a full helmet.
Old 03-10-2016, 02:22 PM

I always wear a motorcycle open face helmet and safety glasses, leather gloves, and a horse hide jacket.

When funds allow I will be upgrading to a full armored jacket and solid boots.

Last edited by Chaz; 03-10-2016 at 02:24 PM. Reason: additional info