Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum  

Sponsors

Go Back   Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum > Motorized Bicycle > Motor Bicycle Safety And Stolen Motorized Bicycle Alerts

Motor Bicycle Safety And Stolen Motorized Bicycle Alerts Share safety tips. Some of these bicycle engines will reach great speeds and need respect. Also post stolen motorized bicyclesand maybe someone will let you know if seen

Old 03-09-2013, 07:21 PM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member

Default Anyone use a full face helmet?

I just bought a full face helmet. Its by Fulmer and its all black. When i close the visor, it muffles the sound of the engine running and makes riding much more tolerable. Similar to running a car with the windows up. I really was unsure about the cool factor of wearing a full face helmet and if it would make we a worse rider. But i feel a lot safer and the wind isnt in my face and its quieter, so i can ride longer. Only thing is if the visor were tinted, then it would be perfect.
Old 03-09-2013, 07:39 PM

Default Re: Anyone use a full face helmet?

for me..it also muffles the sound of cars etc and I kinda wanna hear whats going on around me...so I use the open type

you are safer though Im sure
Old 03-09-2013, 07:47 PM

I don't use a full face helmet but I think it's a good idea!
Old 03-09-2013, 08:12 PM
Motorized Bicycle Member

I've seen a few motorized bicycle riders with full MC helmets. I thought it looked a little weird the first time I saw it. I was riding my 150cc scooter and 3/4 helmet at the time. I just wasn't used to seeing too many other motorized bicycle riders let alone wearing motorcycle helmets. But what really matters is it serves the purpose of safety and being practical for you.

On my motorized bicycle I ride around no helmet but i wear my bicycle helmet when on longer rides. For bikes I'd rather wear knee and elbow pads before a bike helmet. I've riden bicycles across town from childhood to age 18 and didn't wear a helmet but I've skinned my legs, arms, and once I rode a little too close to a chain link fence and handlebar caught and i flipped over the handle bars and scraped my chin. A full m/c helmet would have helped in that situation.

It would be a new sight to see somebody with full m/c riding gear leather, chaps, and full helmet on a motorized bicycle. But couldn't say they weren't prepared for the worst.

Last edited by bwader; 03-10-2013 at 11:54 AM. Reason: grammar
Old 03-09-2013, 10:58 PM

I use a flip up full face so I can go into stores without having to take the helmet off to use an atm or something quick.

A good helmet on any fast riding vehicle is a good idea, your head goes first when you flip over the bars.
Old 03-10-2013, 11:22 AM

I want to buy a motorcycle helmet because I am using a bicycle helmet at this time.
Not sure if I want full face or not.
I'll use this thread to help me decide.

Looking to spend no more than $50.00, may get one second hand, been looking at kajiji.
Old 03-10-2013, 12:04 PM
Motorized Bicycle Member

Full face helmet is the safest obviously, will protect all around. Will protect your chin and front unlike a 3/4.

3/4 helmet make sure it comes with a visor unless you like eating bugs and has saved my face from gettting hit in the face with a thrown up rock. Don't need to wear goggles so much. I prefer to a full face only because of preference of less obstructions to look around.

1/2 shell helmets I don't feel safe wearing one on a m/c but it would work good for a motorized bicycle. Certainly better than a styrofoam bike helmet.

This is just what I remember from taking the M/C foundation safety course a year ago.
Old 03-10-2013, 12:24 PM

I've eaten too many wasps to not want a full face helmet. My only issue is the prices (I realize they're not terribly pricey but $150 is a bit more than I want to spend). Sadly I have a big head so its hard to find used helmets that fit me. I found one at a pawn shop still in the box that had a flip up visor, a separate sun visor that slides down inside, and closable air vents (I imagine alot of full face have these though). I loved it, but it was too small (maybe helmets are supposed to be quite tight?)

Bare minimum though, I wear sunglasses, they block most of the wind and debris from my eyes, but its terribly difficult to ride at night.
Old 03-10-2013, 12:27 PM

A 3/4 helmet looks good, I saw a brand new one that I like for about $50.00, but I haven't seen it on the shelf for awhile.
Motorcycle season is coming soon so I'll keep looking.

Do these 3/4 helmets usually come with a chin guard strap?
Old 03-10-2013, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toadmund View Post
A 3/4 helmet looks good, I saw a brand new one that I like for about $50.00, but I haven't seen it on the shelf for awhile.
Motorcycle season is coming soon so I'll keep looking.

Do these 3/4 helmets usually come with a chin guard strap?

It's almost past the time of year for it but keep an eye out for the spring "Motorcycle Show" in your area.

I scored a show priced helmet and a few other things at one a couple of years ago. Details are in this post.

-=-

Any day that starts with a good ride is already a better day, and a bad day riding still beats a good day working.

My Builds: My Beast, Harley59's bike, my Cruiser