Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum  

Sponsors

Go Back   Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum > Motorized Bicycle > Motorized Tandems, Trikes and Recumbent Bicycles

Motorized Tandems, Trikes and Recumbent Bicycles Trikes (tricycle) and recumbent bicycles can give the ultimate in comfort for cruising on long trips or just around town. Ad an engine and they will really turn some heads.

Old 11-02-2011, 07:52 AM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member

Default Re: Velocars and other interesting vehicles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustycase View Post
IMO, dacron over a cagework could suffice quite well at the speeds we travel.
...it works on ultralite aircraft!

Best
rc
I agree wholeheartedly, it's good for speeds far in excess of what we could ever hope for lol, in fact it's been the most likely candidate should I decide to create a body shell for my project due to my familiarity (a dacron/aluminum ultralight & sailing), it's ease of construction, extremely low weight, simple repairs and relative low cost.

It's one real disadvantage is UV degradation, it becomes brittle after prolonged exposure - tho for this application it's fairly irrelevant as it'd not be a safety issue and it's easily repaired/replaced.

For more relevant information on potential construction shapes & methods than aircraft, check out geodesic boat construction, such as this: Geodesic AiroLITE Construction - Geodesic AiroLITE Boats more info here: Frequently Asked Questions - Geodesic AiroLITE Boats under "Boat Covering (Skin)"

Last edited by BarelyAWake; 11-02-2011 at 07:57 AM.
Old 11-02-2011, 04:39 PM

The Bruce Weiner Microcar Museum microcars, bmw isetta, messerschmitt, messerschmidt, kr200, micro cars
can't forget this site has velomobiles and microcars
Old 11-02-2011, 05:05 PM
Gutter Rider

Tnx Yank!

WoW!
Those microcars are AWESOME !!!
...and many of them are 3 wheelers... doing exactly like we are, staying beneath the radar to avoid taxes. Apparently the Brits taxed 4 wheelers at a higher rate than 3 wheelers.

We can DO it!

Anyhow, BA, I got another couple ideas for a rainy WX skin...
I got a dacron sail for a universal 14ftr??? and some excessed dacron advertising banners and I could cut them all up to sew a pattern to fit over a framework.
...then I thought about the framework cage... to use over a bike or trike... I got a whole forest of old fishing rods! Many of em not really much to shout about, other than they COULD catch a fish for a kid... The glass rods could be used for something close to an aerodynamic shape. Then the cover slipped over it and stitched here and there... or velcro straps...
One whole side should flap up for entry and exit.
Gonna need some isinglass for the windscreen...
...or use tyvek in place of the dacron.
it is TOUGH stuff ! and cheep!

Best
rc

Last edited by rustycase; 11-02-2011 at 05:08 PM.
Old 11-02-2011, 05:51 PM

look into the places the shrink wrap boats for winter storage
should be pretty cheap to have a velo done
not sure if epoxy would melt that or not if not could be used as a male mold for a fiberglass/carbonfiber body
Old 11-02-2011, 05:57 PM

I've spent many happy hours gazing at that Microcar Museum website

For a modern day interpretation of a Mochet Velocar check out this U-tube link....... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RferXHcG7x8

It's also worthwhile having a look at Paul Elkin's website too. He uses Coroplast as a building material and does some amazing things with it.

As for myself I still like plywood as a bodyshell material for motor assisted HPVs, but then I'm somewhat of an old fashioned sort of girl. That vintage long blue single seater velocar in one of my earlier posts has a 100% wooden body and I think it looks downright corker

There is a Yahoo Group for the PPVs and they seem to be a very keenly enthusiastic band of folk. I remember when the PPVs first came onto the market during the oil crisis that followed the Six Day War. Quite a few magazines had articles about them and there was some interest, but then the oil came back on tap again and the PPVs were quietly forgotten.

Old 11-02-2011, 06:04 PM
minor bike philosopher

If I remember the ppv I tried out did not have any gearing that was a real problem. If you were to do it today with about twenty one gears and a plastic body you might have something
Old 11-02-2011, 07:41 PM

this is along the line of what I personaly am thinking about doing

Lightfoot Velo Bug 2011 - YouTube
Old 11-03-2011, 03:12 AM

I like this older bodyshell design the best. Lightfoot's latest version just plain doesn't do it for me.

Have a look at this wee three wheeled motorised velocar which is very similar...... Paul Elkins single passenger enclosed motor assisted recumbent tricycle - YouTube
Old 11-03-2011, 03:16 AM

I.W.
being the trike I am building has almost a meter of storage space behind the seat
and it is a delta the trhead is in this section of the forum
I doubt the body will look exactly like anything else.
But that will have to wait till the money tree blooms lots more fruit
Old 11-03-2011, 05:56 PM

Intrepid Wheelwoman,
I have been watching your posts with great interest. A velocar has been on my back burner for a long time. Due to a moment where youthfull enthusiasm overcame normal intellegence I now need three wheels to get around hence the tricar I'm building with Silverbear.

Add the fact that I'm a third generation antique dealer and antique furniture restorer anything has to look and feel old that I build.
Having restored a 1952 Monark bicycle and built a sidecar for it I'd like very much to see a photo of your sidecar set up.

I have an idea about what a velocar from the 1930's would look like and as soon as the tri car moves along a little further I'll start building one. Of course as I've mentioned here before a lottery win and living to 108 would help get all the projects I have in mind done.
I would combine pedals and an electric motor so that when I get where I'm going the e-motor will get me back.

Having owned a Morgan three wheeler very briefly (cash talked and fasteddy walked home) I have always wanted to see if I could build one that was similar.

Time to start planning.

Steve.

Last edited by fasteddy; 11-03-2011 at 09:07 PM.

Tags
budget, engine, velocar