Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum  

Sponsors

Go Back   Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum > Motorized Bicycle > Motorized Tandems, Trikes and Recumbent Bicycles

Motorized Tandems, Trikes and Recumbent Bicycles Trikes (tricycle) and recumbent bicycles can give the ultimate in comfort for cruising on long trips or just around town. Ad an engine and they will really turn some heads.

Old 01-03-2011, 06:45 PM
The Boy Who Never Grew Up

Default Re: Indian Tadpole

Fasteddy shared this photo he found on the net. Looks familiar! Also appears to be an Indian camelback. I'm guessing this front end with passenger seat must have been an option on more than one model. It would be cool to see a catalog from those early years with descriptions and prices. Thanks, Steve...
SB
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sr005.jpg (146.2 KB, 452 views)
Old 03-13-2011, 08:39 AM

Here's an update on the Indian of this thread, what I've been calling a "tadpole". The first photos below show a 1905 model with a trunk up front. Fasteddy learned that these three wheeled Indian was called a Tri-Car. Nice color, too.
The third photo rings all my bells! Fasteddy found it on the internet identified as a 1906 model and said,

"It was an Indian Motorcycle advertising post card that Oscar Hedstrom one of the partners sent to his sister. It was found in a trunk a few years ago by a family member.
I wonder what the fella sitting on the bike must have thought since he may well have been part of the gathering at the Little Big Horn even if just a child and would have remembered the later struggles of his people. Now he is sitting on a motorcycle."
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ScreenShot299.jpg (112.5 KB, 374 views)
File Type: jpg ScreenShot300.jpg (106.1 KB, 299 views)
File Type: jpg ScreenShot301.jpg (21.7 KB, 292 views)
Old 03-13-2011, 09:18 AM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member

Sure would be nice to find one of them old motors around. I would build one in a hartbeat.Or maybe a little longer I am older now. Would make the rear drive setup easier one wheel out back.............Curt
Old 03-13-2011, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtisfox View Post
Sure would be nice to find one of them old motors around. I would build one in a hartbeat.Or maybe a little longer I am older now. Would make the rear drive setup easier one wheel out back.............Curt
Yes, It would be interesting to know more about that engine. I was talking to Fasteddy about using a 2 speed E Puch engine from a moped... long like that. On the moped it goes horizontally under the frame. For this it would need to have the frame altered and could go vertical. Being 2 stoke, there wouldn't be any crankcase to worry about. The carb intake would have to be altered. We need to figure out how to fabricate the front end. I still think it would be cool for it to be convertible from a two wheel to the tri-car.
SB
Old 03-13-2011, 03:53 PM

Like the Indian it to converts. That Puch would look good that way. What about the gear box does that have to be level?
Old 05-17-2011, 09:28 PM

Wow they are nice bikes or trikes. Did Indian make them like that? If not i wonder when they were modified. Id love to build one, but i dont have a lot of space and they take up the room of 2 bikes :-(
Very very cool idea though!!!!
Old 05-17-2011, 09:52 PM

Yes, Indian made them using first the diamond frame (1903)with the camel back gas tank behind the seat and by 1909 offered the tri-car in the newer frame much like a modern worksman newsboy.
These are the bikes that are the inspiration for the tri-cars Fasteddy and I are building this summer. His will use a diamond frame and look something like the earlier model with the camel back gas tank. Mine will be more like the later one with the in frame gas tank. I say "inspired by", meaning "in the spirit of" since there is no way to duplicate an original. Those upright engines I have learned are part of the seat post... the engine forms part of the frame of the bike. We will be using the Villiars like yours as the best we can come up with in keeping with an old time look. Steve is working on the front end assemblies in Canada right now. I've located a diamond frame for him and will use my Worksman for my build. We're pretty excited about it. So the idea is that we will make these convertible, so that they can be two wheeled motorcycles with side cars or tri-cars with two wheels up front. Steve will be here in July and will bring the front end assemblies with him. I'll try to have the engine mounting plates done by the time he gets here so the engines can be bolted in place. Curtis Fox is making up leaf spring front forks for each bike for when it is in two wheeled mode. Once we get going full guns, we'll do a detailed build thread.
SB
Old 05-17-2011, 09:59 PM

Harry, that's funny because I was looking at the same bike when your message came up.
Indian built the front end to go on their bikes with different bodies on them.
Since there were few cars and they were expensive. The seat on the front doubled as a car. Put a box on the front and you had a delivery lorry.
The uses were endless really. Take it off and reinstall your forks and you had your motorcycle back.

I'm building the seat to put on the front of mine and I think Silverbear is too. I may build his at the same time I'm building mine since it is as easy to cut two pieces as it is to cut one and I have a wood working shop here at my brothers.

Steve.
Old 05-17-2011, 10:36 PM

Here are some more photos showing the tri-car in different forms...
SB
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 65_1.jpg (32.3 KB, 196 views)
File Type: jpg indian tri car 1.jpg (23.6 KB, 234 views)
File Type: jpg indian tri car 2.jpg (20.6 KB, 248 views)
File Type: jpg indian tri car 3.jpg (25.1 KB, 206 views)
File Type: jpg indian tri car 4.jpg (25.6 KB, 240 views)
Old 05-17-2011, 10:42 PM

...and one more.
SB
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Indian tri car.jpg (68.3 KB, 151 views)