Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum  

Sponsors

Go Back   Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum > Bicycle Motor > 2 Stroke Bicycle Engines & Kits

2 Stroke Bicycle Engines & Kits 2 stroke engine kits need careful installation and setup, find out how from our professionals here!

Old 01-28-2008, 01:00 PM
minor bike philosopher

Default Re: The clutch.

Now that you explained how to test the clutch (duh on me) I can figure it out. I can't believe that I didn't figure that out myself.
Old 01-28-2008, 01:40 PM
LORD VADER Moderator

Do this only if there is no extra cable hanging off the actuating lever on the engine the outer housing is too long and you will need to take the cable apart. cut off an inch off the outer housing and reassemble and then adjust you clutch. If you've got some extra cable hanging on the end of your actuating arm loosen the nut on the cable ferrell and get a little slack that way. When and if you cut the outer housing be sure to pull the inner cable clear out don't need the inner one chopped off. One of my bike does have a little drag when the clutch is in the locked button position but when the lever is pulled in all the way there is no drag on the clutch. Rufus says I got to get back to work so good luck.

Last edited by Norman; 05-13-2009 at 10:35 AM.
Old 01-28-2008, 02:38 PM
Master Bike Builder & Forum Sponsor

OK I may need to do that AND turn the nut counter clockwise.....thanks.
Old 01-29-2008, 05:54 PM
Godfather of Motorized Bicycles

Awesome post(s) Norman!
Old 01-29-2008, 07:32 PM
LORD VADER Moderator

Thanks glad you like them
Old 01-29-2008, 07:58 PM
Motorized Bicycle Senior Member

Norman I hope this is not too off topic. My clutch is working fine on my 80 cc chinese but is rattling like a coffee can with a few loose marbles in it.

what could this be? If I lightly press on the cover with my 2 thums it quiets down. All the screws are tight!

Ted
Old 01-30-2008, 10:28 AM
LORD VADER Moderator

take the cover off and see what falls out. could be the gears need grease or the cover is rubbing on the gears. One of my engines gears whine loudly at a certain rpm. check the small gears slotted screw and make sure its tight. The cover on some engines will resonate like a drum on some of these engines as well. That problem can be addressed by putting a sound deadening material on the cover if your hands quites it down when you lay your hand on it its possible the cover is making the noise. Check out the cover.
Old 02-20-2008, 09:02 AM
Godfather of Motorized Bicycles

Looky here- same general set up for all frame mount Chinaco engines.

Last edited by Bikeguy Joe; 02-20-2008 at 04:39 PM.
Old 03-11-2008, 03:19 AM
Santa Cruz Scooter Works

Default Re: bicycle engine clutch.

Great post Norm, My clutch is slipping pretty bad and its in need of some serious adjusting. I was wondering if its necessary to remove the small gear to adjust the clutch? Also I wasn't sure if the clutch needs to be engaged during the adjusting? Thanks for the awesome post Norm!
BTW....
Does anyone know who sells clutches?

Thanks
Old 03-11-2008, 06:54 PM
LORD VADER Moderator

Default Re: bicycle engine clutch.

No you don't need to remove the small gear another one of the guys was wondering how to remove the small gear so I did that just to show how to get the small gear off. To turn the I call it the flower some call it the star nut. Its the nut with the very small locking screw holding it from turning. To adjust this flower nut pull in the clutch lever and lock the lever then you can turn the nut with your fingers and not damage or strip the nut out. If your clutch is slipping remove the silver clutch plate clean off the silver plate with brake clean and you can spray the clutch pads with brake clean. Then reassemble your clutch. Don't stretch that spring it won't do you any good. put your flower nut on with your fingers (still got the clutch lever locked) and screw it on a couple of turns let out the clutch lever and see if it slips turn the flower nut in 1 complete turn and keep trying it it should get to where it won't slip. remember to pull in the clutch lever when turning the flower nut and you should not have trouble remember to put a dab of locktight on the little locking screw then done and a small dab of grease on the gears. I have a post showing all of this. so you should not run into a major problem.
Last time I looked there is vendors who sell the clutch pads as an assembly Dax comes to mind and check with who you bought the engine from as I'll bet they have parts as well. have fun work safe and I hope I answered your question.