Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum  

Sponsors

Go Back   Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum > Bicycle Motor > Norm's 2 stroke repair center

Norm's 2 stroke repair center Having problems with your 2 stroke engine? Just ask Norm, he loves to tinker and troubleshoot engines

Old 04-13-2010, 12:27 PM
Motorized Bicycle Senior Member

Default Re: Casting Metals

You'll probly find what you need at some of the bigger flea markets
Old 04-13-2010, 01:48 PM
Super Moderator

Sorry I forgot about these.

Old 04-13-2010, 03:42 PM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilikeabikea View Post
Where'd you get that sweet city pic for your background?
Old 04-13-2010, 04:53 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZRTMWA View Post
Where'd you get that sweet city pic for your background?

They picked it for me, I guess it is just one of the default photobucket pics.............

Old 04-14-2010, 07:34 AM

Great photos. Norm, what did you use for parting dust? I like the baby powder container, I use an old stocking, but I may try your method. Your green sand worked very well, no sticking, no dropouts. Where did you get it? And I love your snap flask. Great job. I looked at all 39 pictures, but where is the pour and final product? I am waiting for the next exciting episode. Tune in next week, same bat time same bat channel.
Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilikeabikea View Post
They picked it for me, I guess it is just one of the default photobucket pics.............
Old 04-14-2010, 10:46 AM
LORD VADER Moderator

parting dust is dollar general baby powder. When you get the(baby powder) talc power make sure its only talc and not corn starch with talc.
I made my sand from play sand bought at walmart sifted out the big stuff. I ground up in a blender, some of Rufus's cat litter (fresh unused) Benoite clay. Its the clumping cat litter with a citrus smell.
1 lb clay to 10 lbs sand mixed it up by hand and also put it on the shop floor and walked on it
mixed it up and walked on it a few times.
Flask is home made.
I have all the patterns made except for the last one for the shaper, I did a test ramming of all patterns yesterday to see if I can pull them with out damage of the mold ,one pattern had to have some light sanding on one corner so it would pull cleanly the rest worked good.

Last edited by Norman; 04-18-2010 at 11:02 PM.
Old 04-14-2010, 10:58 AM
Super Moderator

Hey Norm, when you gonna start pouring??????????????/

Old 04-14-2010, 11:06 PM
LORD VADER Moderator

May try it tomorrow. You want to play? We could do some Saturday if you want and the weather is good. I need to get some used oil I have very little right now.
I still need to get some 5/8" plywood or particle board to make the shaper table a chunk about 2' sq. should be enough I might make it out of 3/4" ply as I have some that will make the table just a little thicker so it shouldn't hurt anything. Once the table pattern is made I will have all of the needed patterns made.
I still haven't taken any photos of the patterns, I liked your photos of the cylinder head mold.
I might need to make more sand as the biggest flask will maybe take all that I have made and still need more to fill it completely.
Old 04-15-2010, 05:42 AM

Hi Norm,
The do it yourself green sand is exactly what I did. I used a coffee grinder to get a powder consistency to the kitty litter. A blender didn't seem to get it fine enough for me. I guess my mistake was either too little bentonite or water amount was wrong. I used 8 parts sand to 1 part fine sifted sand. But I did by volume (margarine containers. The clay weighs less, so I probably did way less than 1/2 of your ratio. I'm gonna try this using your method. Hopefully no more dropouts. I am posting this so if anyone else decides to try it, they will see common problems, and avoid the mistakes that can easily discourage people. Good luck with your project. I can't wait to see a pour. Jim
Old 04-18-2010, 01:47 PM
Super Moderator

YouTube - video-2010-04-17-20-19-24

Here's Norm making his first pour.I don't think he cussed to much...........