Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum  

Sponsors

Go Back   Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum > Motorized Bicycle > Motor Bicycle Safety And Stolen Motorized Bicycle Alerts

Motor Bicycle Safety And Stolen Motorized Bicycle Alerts Share safety tips. Some of these bicycle engines will reach great speeds and need respect. Also post stolen motorized bicyclesand maybe someone will let you know if seen

Old 12-28-2009, 02:42 PM
a guy who makes cool bikes

Default Fender Fixes. a tip from Bairdco Industries.

seems like everytime someone posts a picture of their new cruiser, one of the first replies is, "those fenders will fall off, and you will flip over the bars..."

to me, fenders are what make up a cruiser. without them, there's just no style. plus, fenders keep dirty water and mud from splashing up on you and your engine.

so here's some tips that've worked for me since before i even thought of motorizing my bike:

first, the quality of the fender is a big part in keeping them, and you, alive. if you've got really cheap, flimsy fenders, the easiest thing to do is upgrade them to Wald fenders (Wald Bicycle Baskets, Training Wheels, Fenders, Racks, and Accessories - Fenders.) these are available everywhere. they've been the most popular fender for a million years. they make almost every style and every size you could want. the chrome is awesome, and the mounting hardware is excellent. and you can buy struts, brackets, etc, seperately. they're about $30 a pair, or less.

regardless of what fenders you have, i'm gonna show you how to make them better.

if your fender struts are riveted on, drill those out. the older they get, the looser they get, and they'll eventually fail. especially the new, cheap aluminum rivets on dept.store bikes.

now that you have the fender struts off, slip some heat shrink tubing (usually 1/2" fits) on, and slide it up to the middle, and shrink it on there. (PIC 1) poke some holes for the bolts with a phillips screwdriver or something.

this gives you a rubberized, non-slip contact surface, and is probably the best tip for dampening the vibration.

replace the struts with some good bolts, washers, and nylock lock nuts. i use black,grade 8 button head allen bolts, just because they look cool. (PIC 2 you can see the heat shrink sticking out, and PIC 3)

for the center bracket in the front, my bike's old enough that it has a threaded, welded cap in the bottom of the fork, but your's probably has a cheap, flimsy "L" bracket. REPLACE THAT NOW. get a steel bracket from Lowes, or buy a Wald one, or make one, but whatever you do, make a strong one. this is the main cause for fender failures. that breaks, fender slides and jams up, you need new teeth.

replace that hardware too, and make it match, so it looks good.

now you can spray the underside of your fenders with rubberized undercoating, if you want. it's supposed to help with the vibes, but i've never done it, just because my fenders don't rattle anyway.

so, you're ready to mount them to your bike.

if your bike has a seperate hole in the rear drop-outs, i'd mount them there. some bikes have these holes, but still mount to the axles. i dunno why.

what's always bugged me about mounting fenders to the axles, is that the strut is so flimsy, it gets bent, chewed up, and there's a cheap piece of tin coming between the solid steel of my forks, and an axle nut. it just seems like a weak link to me. plus, old bikes like mine have strut rods (PIC 4) and having all this stuff held on by my axle nuts bugs me.

if your lucky, you have long enough axles, and you can do like i do (PIC 5.)

that should about cover it.

good hardware, no rivets, heatshrink, strong brackets, solid mounting.

my fenders don't move when i ride, and they're 70 years old.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg heatshrink.jpg (412.5 KB, 865 views)
File Type: jpg fender fix 003.jpg (193.4 KB, 942 views)
File Type: jpg fender fix 011.jpg (146.3 KB, 981 views)
File Type: jpg fender fix 005.jpg (297.8 KB, 1091 views)
File Type: jpg fender fix 002.jpg (302.9 KB, 956 views)
Old 12-28-2009, 03:27 PM
MB Builder Extraordinaire

Default Re: Fender Fixes. a tip from Bairdco Industries.

you could also keep the existing cheap, flimsy L bracket where it is and add a thick, strong one to the other side of the forks.
you're 100% right about getting rid of the rivets. and DO keep the fenders...they add alot. i just recently started putting them back on my builds.

also, because the newer fender braces arent nearly as well-made as the older bikes, you can double them up.

bairdco: nice post, hey. with the multiple (myriad, actually) same-o, same-o threads/posts regarding this very issue, IMHO this should be a sticky in the Motor Bicycle Safety lobby.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikeguy Joe View Post
You are one sick man spun, I like that quality in a person.

Last edited by Spunout; 12-28-2009 at 03:29 PM.
Old 12-28-2009, 03:43 PM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member

very good info
I agree with spun...this should be a sticky

Intelligence is learning from your own mistakes,
Wisdom is learning from the mistakes of others

EZ Motorbike Dealer - Fountain Hills, AZ
www.ezmotorbike.com
EZ Motorbike of Fountain Hills
azgrampa@gmail.com
Old 12-28-2009, 04:10 PM

agreed, done an' did
Old 12-28-2009, 05:41 PM

Great post and it reaffirms some thoughts I had arrived at on my own. Now I don't feel quite so unsure about implementing them. I am thinking about doing brazing rather than using nuts and bolts but the outcome is the same, no rivets. The one rivet on the back fender is already removed. Thanks for posting.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bike parts_e_12_16_09.jpg (200.8 KB, 336 views)
Old 02-20-2010, 02:42 PM

Thumbs up Re: Fender Fixes. a tip from Bairdco Industries.

thank you Bairdco !!!...
I incorporated your heat-shrink anti-rattle idea into my stretch and those full wrap fenders are QUIET
I even heat-shrinked where the struts touch the rear of the frame

sorry for the indoor pics,,it's raining
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mini-fender struts 001.jpg (258.7 KB, 608 views)
File Type: jpg mini-fender struts 002.jpg (183.7 KB, 509 views)

Intelligence is learning from your own mistakes,
Wisdom is learning from the mistakes of others

EZ Motorbike Dealer - Fountain Hills, AZ
www.ezmotorbike.com
EZ Motorbike of Fountain Hills
azgrampa@gmail.com
Old 10-22-2010, 11:49 PM

I just came to the same conclusion last night about needing fenders to complete the look. I spent most of the day installing the rear fender.

My fenders are bobbed on the ends and were very short. I decided they'd look better if I rotated the rear fender back. I used my rear rack for support as well as one mount on the frame. The fasteners are 6mm ss button head screws and fender washers on nyloc bolts on the underside.

Last edited by biknut; 10-22-2010 at 11:54 PM.
Old 09-28-2011, 02:24 PM

One of the coolest fender upgrades I have seen was a modified door hinge used as an "L bracket". since the hinge was made to hold a heavy door, its a given that a fender is not hard on it, and since it can flex, vibration shouldn't split it.

re: if your bike has a seperate hole in the rear drop-outs, i'd mount them there. some bikes have these holes, but still mount to the axles. i dunno why.

They are probably cargo rack eyelets. Also, some fender sets come with struts that might have large holes for the axle already, so that is what is used. Plus, using the axle saves $ for bike mfgrs.
Old 09-29-2011, 05:27 AM

Thanks for the post, its always good to be reminded of the little things
Old 11-29-2011, 03:35 PM

Smile Re: Fender Fixes. a tip from Bairdco Industries.

I had a little fender problem on a ride up in the Sacramento Delta area awhile back. I had my bobbed fender scimming the back wheel about 1/4". I hit a bump going around 50 MPH. The seat hit the fender and the wiring tabs on the under side of the fender got caught in the knobs on the tire. Locked up the back wheel instantly. I didn't go down but I never knew my hips could swival like that. Oh what a day!
Good fender advice here. It could have been real bad.
Quenton builds one heck of a hot rod whizzer motor and I thank him.

Last edited by OG-Whizzerdude; 11-29-2011 at 03:38 PM. Reason: Typeo

Tags
fenders