Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum  

Sponsors

Go Back   Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum > Bicycle Motor > Norm's 2 stroke repair center

Norm's 2 stroke repair center Having problems with your 2 stroke engine? Just ask Norm, he loves to tinker and troubleshoot engines

Old 01-31-2013, 10:52 AM
Motorized Bicycle Newbie

Default Re: No start wonder!

Norm
Hey Guy! great stuff!
I just tried sometime that worked fine. As an example I copied all your advice about no start in this file to a zip drive.

I have a couple cheap Tablets (Made in Thailand) have wifi no phone. I have a micro usb/USB adapter that I can plug zip drive in... now with stand I can use as class book to view your steps...in garage! leaving comuter or notebook for my wife to use

Plus I can add notes not to forget anything. Either use 5V adapter or 7hr battery.

Keep up the Great advice for these kids!
David
Old 03-04-2013, 07:50 PM
Motorized Bicycle Newbie

I have a Few Questions That hopefully someone can answer for me, Im new to 2 stroke motors, so I need help with the Fuel Ratios...Like 16:1 would be 1 gallon of gas to 8oz of Oil ??? Thats what Bikeberry.com recomended for the break in period, but my bike will run great for a block or 2 then just dies, I have Adjusted the Needle to All the way up to Run Leaner, Maybe i need to Adjust it down all the way??? I just need Help figuring out the Fuel Ratio's, So ANY Help would be Great! TY Everyone!!

Last edited by Norman; 03-05-2013 at 10:24 AM. Reason: I answered your PM
Old 03-07-2013, 09:51 AM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincoln78 View Post
I have a Few Questions That hopefully someone can answer for me, Im new to 2 stroke motors, so I need help with the Fuel Ratios...Like 16:1 would be 1 gallon of gas to 8oz of Oil ??? Thats what Bikeberry.com recomended for the break in period, but my bike will run great for a block or 2 then just dies, I have Adjusted the Needle to All the way up to Run Leaner, Maybe i need to Adjust it down all the way??? I just need Help figuring out the Fuel Ratio's, So ANY Help would be Great! TY Everyone!!
That sounds a lot like what happens when the vent is blocked in the gas cap. A very common problem with the stock gas tanks.
Old 04-09-2013, 05:16 PM

Alright so heres my deal, grubee skyhawk 66cc. ran fine till yesterday when I ran out of gas. I figured it was a good time to go ahead and make the 32:1 ratio oil which by my calculations meant 5.2 oz of oil to one gal of gas, well Im thinking I did 5.2 oz to a half gal of gas without thinking about it. Sure enough I got oil squirtin out of the exhaust manifold. So now the danged thing starts and wants to run but just doesnt have the get up and go. Tommorow I am going to drain the tank and mix up a batch of regular mix to the right ratio which for me is going to be 2.6 oz oil to the gal. synthetic oil and its the mix my bike seemed to run the best at. My question is, will the extra oil in the gas as it sits overnight clogg any jets or mess anything up?
Old 04-09-2013, 07:16 PM
LORD VADER Moderator

You shouldn't have a problem with what's in the carb bowl for a couple of days, but you can drain the float bowl on some carbs or you can remove the float bowl to empty it.
Old 04-11-2014, 08:29 PM
Motorized Bicycle Member

So I recently finished my first bike 2 weeks ago and it ran great for a few days then while I was riding it slowly started to die and wouldn't start back up. I ditched the stock spark plug and got an NGK b6hs. Still no start, brought out the volt meter and magneto checked out fine cdi didn't. I bought a new cdi and went out to crank her up and got 2 pops no start. Pulled plug and it was flooded and fuel coming out the exhaust. Then I took apart the carb (speed carb) and It had some bits of plastic like pieces in the float bowl area and the pin thing above the float. I cleaned that out and adjusted the float lever down a bit so as not to flood the motor. Also set the needle to the 2nd notch on the top. Spark plug is gaped to .028". Today I used starting fluid and it started but would not hold an idle. Had to hold throttle open full and it still died. Kept trying but only got pops. Should I set the needle back to the 3rd (factory setting) position? Any help would be appreciated.
Old 04-11-2014, 09:17 PM

One of the best rules when working on a m/b is do one thing at a time, that way you'll know if what you just did helped or hurt. If the engine started flooding all of the sudden it probably had debris in the needle and seat, it might not be a bad idea to go back and give it a try. I would put the float back up a little also, it may be too low.

Last edited by Greg58; 04-11-2014 at 09:19 PM.
Old 04-11-2014, 09:23 PM
Motorized Bicycle Member

I'm going to try again in the AM but just wondering what can I do to keep her idling.
Old 04-11-2014, 09:24 PM
Motorized Bicycle Member

Also, why is it so hard to start?
Old 04-11-2014, 10:12 PM

I always turn off the fuel to the carb after a ride. So what I do on both of my bikes is turn on the fuel then hold down the tickler button two to three seconds then raise the choke, after i get up to speed I release the clutch , once it fires I lower the choke a little so it stays running and let it warm a bit before ridding. This has worked for me every time. Turn the idle screw clockwise will raise the idle.

Last edited by Greg58; 04-11-2014 at 10:15 PM.