Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum  

Sponsors

Go Back   Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum > Bicycle Motor > Norm's 2 stroke repair center

Norm's 2 stroke repair center Having problems with your 2 stroke engine? Just ask Norm, he loves to tinker and troubleshoot engines

Old 03-01-2011, 02:09 PM
LORD VADER Moderator

Default Re: No start wonder!

what kind of spark plug gap you running? could be you just need to close the gap a little.
Old 07-17-2011, 05:56 AM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member

Im having trouble with my motor

Ive tried the following

2 cdi's
2 spark plugs
3 carby's

all in differetn combinations....

I now have spark and it seems to be getting fuel as the fuel is able to flow out the release port on all 3 carbys

i have NFI what it it It's an engne from Rock solid. I have never had it start for me in the 2 years i have had it
Old 07-17-2011, 07:37 AM

I wish I could help. I went through the same thing with two motors, a 66 and a 49. Nothing I could do would get these two motors to fire. I got rid of my Chinee stuff and bought a Morini motor.

I know it's been two years but did you contact Rock Solid? Maybe they could help you out or maybe a member of the forum there in Sydney could help you out. I've helped a few locals get going but it was hands-on and not fixed over the internet.
Old 07-17-2011, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveC View Post
I wish I could help. I went through the same thing with two motors, a 66 and a 49. Nothing I could do would get these two motors to fire. I got rid of my Chinee stuff and bought a Morini motor.

I know it's been two years but did you contact Rock Solid? Maybe they could help you out or maybe a member of the forum there in Sydney could help you out. I've helped a few locals get going but it was hands-on and not fixed over the internet.
yeah i gave rofck solid an email. hopefully they just give me a reasonable discount or soemthing on a new balanced engine. ( i boguht it from there specifically because it came balanced and it never even ran )
Old 07-17-2011, 05:48 PM

..and your getting spark? It just might be too weak to fire under compression. If the two sparkplugs were the Chinee ones then a NGK B5HS or B6HS should be tried. Sometimes the blue wire where it solders to the coil is a bad connection. A lot come down the line with what's called a "cold solder".
It's when the solder holds things in place but it's not really fused and making a good connection. Re-soldering the wire has fixed many.

Sometimes a air leak where the carb bolts to the intake can be the problem. Lets in too much air for it to fire...

I hope Rock Solid can help you. They need happy customers to grow and having a motor out there not working is bad publicity and you've been two years un-happy with them
Old 07-19-2011, 10:11 PM

yay. I got it started yesturday and rode it to class.

I stayed up to 2.30 the previous morning rebuilding the bike.

I am unsure what the actual problem was but i changed back to the standard carby, bought a brand new cdi black box thing, new spark plug, resoldered the blue wire

it didn't start on the way home though as the intake port from the carby to the engine came loose

the engine vibrated like crazy on the way to class.
Old 11-06-2012, 11:44 PM
Motorized Bicycle Newbie

I m going to do all the above .cant get started .motor stopped running after A LONG initial run .when it stopped is when i noticed that a part of the carb had vibrated off .its the small rubber button that fills the bowl and gets the air out of the line . couldn't find a replacement online so i put a screw in the hole .would this stop the motor from running ?where can i get this little rubber thing ?
Old 12-09-2012, 09:35 AM
Motorized Bicycle Newbie

I have the same problem with my motor kit. Except I have fire and I too have peddled this ***** so long that I have fuel dripping from the muffler. This motor will not crank. Guess I need to build some sort of jig so that I can attempt to crank it with some sort of drill motor as I don't have it in me to peddle this thing anymore. Any ideas on how to get it to run. As I said I have good visible fire, I have fuel flow. The needle in the center of the carb is set in about the midrange level. The screw on the side of the carb is set and about 3.5 turns from bottom. I have disconnected the kill switch, nothing will make this engine run. Any help or ideas would be appreciated. Oz
Old 12-09-2012, 11:33 AM

Take the spark plug out, hold or tape the throttle wide open and crank the engine over for a minute or two to clear out any fuel that may be trapped inside it.

Try a new spark plug. I recommend an NGK B7HS for starters.
Just because a spark plug will spark when resting outside the engine does not mean it can spark when under the strains of compression. The conditions inside the combustion chamber are harsher than you think.

Also, read norm's post #4 in this thread.

Does not come with a fortune cookie."
Old 01-03-2013, 11:46 AM
Motorized Bicycle Newbie

GOT A NEW PLUG BOUGHT A NEW CDI =JAGUAR ,BOIGHT CENT GET IT TO WORK ,MISSING JUMPERS ,DIAGRAMS SHOW DIFFERENT CONFIGURATIONS.my loopset rings out true for ohms .i put 3 of the jumpers in but all i have is a green wire going cross the box ,not the 2nd brown wire thats in the pics .