Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum  

Sponsors

Go Back   Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum > Motorized Bicycle Mechanical Components > Hubs, Gearboxes, Sprockets and Chains

Hubs, Gearboxes, Sprockets and Chains Can't find 'em, grind em - hubs and transmissions, problems and modifications to make you run smooth and trouble free

Old 12-07-2009, 01:30 AM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member

Default re: List of motorized bicycle gearboxes

I just got one of the Hoot boxes. It is the gear model. The reason I went ahead and got this one is that 1, it was not expensive and 2, I think I have found what it needs. I was working on one of my friends engine and found that there is no indexing of the gears. I took the cover off and found the gears were just about out of the teeth. I found that the back cover has no dowel pins to locate it to the engine. They just bolt it on and hope for the best, if it is moved slightly to the rear the gears are out of mesh, if it is moved forward it is too close and makes a lot of noise. I snugged the two inside screws and then installed the large gear, next I took a rubber hammer and tap'd the cover in the direction it needed and found the place that the gears were in proper mesh, snugged up the fasteners with a little extra wally. Next I took all the stuff that looks like grease out ( wonder what it is ) and filled the box with 3 oz. Hydraulic oil (no foaming) the box sounds quiet and so far runs smooth. I will keep you posted. Have fun, Dave

PS: The vent needs a mod. Look at the size of the intake. I think I need to find a carb to fill that hole!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PICT0711.JPG (582.7 KB, 452 views)
Old 12-07-2009, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egor View Post
I just got one of the Hoot boxes. It is the gear model. The reason I went ahead and got this one is that 1, it was not expensive and 2, I think I have found what it needs. I was working on one of my friends engine and found that there is no indexing of the gears. I took the cover off and found the gears were just about out of the teeth. I found that the back cover has no dowel pins to locate it to the engine. They just bolt it on and hope for the best, if it is moved slightly to the rear the gears are out of mesh, if it is moved forward it is too close and makes a lot of noise. I snugged the two inside screws and then installed the large gear, next I took a rubber hammer and tap'd the cover in the direction it needed and found the place that the gears were in proper mesh, snugged up the fasteners with a little extra wally. Next I took all the stuff that looks like grease out ( wonder what it is ) and filled the box with 3 oz. Hydraulic oil (no foaming) the box sounds quiet and so far runs smooth. I will keep you posted. Have fun, Dave

PS: The vent needs a mod. Look at the size of the intake. I think I need to find a carb to fill that hole!

awesome! now theres 2 of us! all i did to my gearbox though was shim the clutch bell out a few milliliters, and put in a ludicrous amount of industrial grease, let me know how far it lasts, mine is coming close to 1000kms now, but i havnt been riding much due to the cold, mine doesn't whine under acceleration but it whines when i let of the gas, thanks and good luck!

-linnix13(at)gmail,com
Old 12-07-2009, 07:31 AM

I just got one of there kits.(Gas Motorized Bicycle 2 Cycle 40cc Chain Drive Rear Mount Motor Kit | All Gas Powered Bicycle Motors | Live Fast Motors - Gas Motorized Bicycles and Gas Motorized Bicycle Parts) I havn't been able to find much info about the gearbox. I think it's a 3 to 1 reduction chain/sprocket box. This setup uses the 78mm cent. clutch so swapping up to another engine will be possible. Instructions on the web site are poor/incomplete. I have asked the vendor for better instructions. Anyone have experience with this kit?
Old 12-07-2009, 10:55 PM

I looked at their site and the box you have is one of their own. Looks like it will work ok and will be easy to maintain. It is something like the Dax but with ought the gearbox full of oil. Just keep good clean oil in that engine and you will have many happy miles in front of you. Have fun, Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gator Wrestler View Post
I just got one of there kits.(Gas Motorized Bicycle 2 Cycle 40cc Chain Drive Rear Mount Motor Kit | All Gas Powered Bicycle Motors | Live Fast Motors - Gas Motorized Bicycles and Gas Motorized Bicycle Parts) I havn't been able to find much info about the gearbox. I think it's a 3 to 1 reduction chain/sprocket box. This setup uses the 78mm cent. clutch so swapping up to another engine will be possible. Instructions on the web site are poor/incomplete. I have asked the vendor for better instructions. Anyone have experience with this kit?
Old 12-08-2009, 12:24 AM

I got the Hoot kit today. The engine and box look good but the rest of the kit is poor. The pedal bits are for a 20" bike and can't be used the tank is the small one with two dents. It came with two throttle grips and no plain matching grip. It came with the chain guard for the two stroke engine (no way to attach) the motor mount is the plain one that has no way to fit to anything remote like the frame I am using. I do like the drive portion they are using Allen screw's to hold the box together and it is full of oil, not grease. Ill change that lube to the hydraulic oil. It was only 220.00 so I guess I got what I payed for. My buddy is going to install his over the rear wheel, that will be easy. Oh well Ill keep you posted. Have fun, Dave
Attached Images
File Type: jpg New engine.jpg (611.7 KB, 412 views)
Old 12-08-2009, 07:32 AM

Quote:
I got the Hoot kit today. The engine and box look good but the rest of the kit is poor. The pedal bits are for a 20" bike and can't be used the tank is the small one with two dents. It came with two throttle grips and no plain matching grip. It came with the chain guard for the two stroke engine (no way to attach) the motor mount is the plain one that has no way to fit to anything remote like the frame I am using. I do like the drive portion they are using Allen screw's to hold the box together and it is full of oil, not grease. Ill change that lube to the hydraulic oil. It was only 220.00 so I guess I got what I payed for. My buddy is going to install his over the rear wheel, that will be easy. Oh well Ill keep you posted. Have fun, Dave
thats exactly how i got mine, i never used the chain guard to begin with anyways, the mount plate was rough but it fit on my bike easy, and the gearbox had that oil in it, i tried to fill mine like i think your planning on doing, the problem is the clutch is right in there, so if you fill it will liquid of any kind the clutch slips, i found really think, high temp industrial grease works wonders!

-linnix13(at)gmail,com
Old 12-08-2009, 10:21 AM

Grease probably is best, but it requires more maintenance. An oil that doesn't foam should work fine. I've been using marine grade gear oil in mine for a couple of years. If the oil foams, that's when you get problems. The foam creates air pockets between the clutch pads and the bell causing slipping and heat. Also, you only need to fill it with enough oil to cover a small portion of the bigger gears. The big gears will "pick up" the oil and transfer it to the smaller gears. I added a little bit of Lucas transmission no slip to the oil in my boxes.
Old 12-09-2009, 10:56 PM

I took the box apart today, the gears are bevel cut just like the ones in the two strokes. A slight cut not like a motorcycle. It was full of engine oil I cleaned all that out and added the hydraulic oil. One thing that was way out was the alignment of the gears the clutch gear was inside of the large drive gear by nearly 1/4" I made a spacer on the lathe and now it is nearly in line, if I move it out any more I think it will hit the outside cover. I think there is a misunderstanding of the lube that is used in clutch gearboxes. Every automatic trans in every car that was ever made was immersed in oil, the Ford T had all its clutches in the same oil that the engine ran in. Grease on the other hand has a film action that is so high if it gets on the clutch you would not get far, just a note, Don't use STP. I had a guy bring an old Honda motorcycle in said he had no gears. I tried the bike and I could tell it was going in gear (the clunk) but I could push the bike in reverse with my feet with the clutch out, you guessed it he had added STP. I cleaned it out and the bike would do weelies again. Have fun, Dave

PS: I was going to mention the carb has a bad flat spot just off idle, I know what that is, their are tiny holes in the passage just behind the throttle plate. I guess it is too hard to drill for the fellas that made the carb, so it will be interesting to see if I can get it to run better with that carb.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Gears.jpg (572.5 KB, 373 views)

Last edited by Egor; 12-09-2009 at 11:20 PM.
Old 12-24-2009, 03:26 PM

Talking "Whisper Drive"

"ShellyBelly Whisper Drive" prototypes are built and ready for testing.

Models to be available for all common motors and configurations.

The 1st 2 are specifically built and geared for the Lifan, i.e. Harbor Freight and Power Pro 79cc and 98cc (pc'd) 2.5 hp motors.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 047-1.jpg (895.3 KB, 449 views)
File Type: jpg 041-1.jpg (748.8 KB, 438 views)

Email Support@FireBellyCycles.com

www.FireBellyCycles.com

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-kNGVCnjJVs

Old 12-24-2009, 03:51 PM

Quote:
I took the box apart today, the gears are bevel cut just like the ones in the two strokes. A slight cut not like a motorcycle. It was full of engine oil I cleaned all that out and added the hydraulic oil. One thing that was way out was the alignment of the gears the clutch gear was inside of the large drive gear by nearly 1/4" I made a spacer on the lathe and now it is nearly in line, if I move it out any more I think it will hit the outside cover. I think there is a misunderstanding of the lube that is used in clutch gearboxes. Every automatic trans in every car that was ever made was immersed in oil, the Ford T had all its clutches in the same oil that the engine ran in. Grease on the other hand has a film action that is so high if it gets on the clutch you would not get far, just a note, Don't use STP. I had a guy bring an old Honda motorcycle in said he had no gears. I tried the bike and I could tell it was going in gear (the clunk) but I could push the bike in reverse with my feet with the clutch out, you guessed it he had added STP. I cleaned it out and the bike would do weelies again. Have fun, Dave

PS: I was going to mention the carb has a bad flat spot just off idle, I know what that is, their are tiny holes in the passage just behind the throttle plate. I guess it is too hard to drill for the fellas that made the carb, so it will be interesting to see if I can get it to run better with that carb.

yes that bad flat spot, i have that too,

-linnix13(at)gmail,com