Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum  

Sponsors

Go Back   Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum > Motorized Bicycle > Board Trackers and Vintage Motorized Bicycles

Board Trackers and Vintage Motorized Bicycles Vintage enthusiasts share your board trackers and other vintage motorized bicycles ideas, builds and replicas here

Old 12-16-2016, 09:24 PM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member

Default Re: Sidecars?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogcatcher View Post
Thanks for a lot of information. I am retired, and now disabled and use a walker to get around. I came to this forum to try to find ideas for a sidecar for carrying a walker. Now I will have to digest this info and see what I can do with it.
Why not use a trailer instead?
Old 12-16-2016, 09:47 PM

Hello dogcatcher, and welcome to the forum. If there is anything I can help you with please let me know. I get around with a cane myself and for some time I had to use a walker as well. Major car accident at 22 and now replaced knees and a 2-1/2 year fight with a staph bone infection.
I'm retired as well and 73 years old.

It all seems daunting at first but it is fairly easy once you get the basics filed away. Let me know what you are planning and the budget you have to work with and I'll tell you what I learned as I built mine.

I hope some of the other builders get in on the conversation as well. I hope to start building another sidecar body and maybe a frame.in the New Year. If you look at the thread Indian Tadpole started by my friend Silverbear you will see what I am finishing up or at least trying to if winter weather gives me a break.

If you haven't gone to the top of the forum page and signed into the new member thread please do. This will give everyone a chance to say hello and know what you want to do. A lot of builders will see it and offer suggestions as well as help. Just mention your on the sidecar thread.

Steve.
Old 12-16-2016, 11:17 PM
Motorized Bicycle Member

I tried a trailer, but I need the stability of a sidecar. Or 3 wheels on the ground.

Fast Eddy, if I have questions, I will ask. Not sure when I will even get around to playing with this idea.
Old 12-17-2016, 01:48 AM

Dogcatcher:

can you swing a leg over the saddle?

My little sidehack is a nice ride if you can:

Stable, stands on it's own. Corners & rides like a bike - running over a bump with the sidecar wheel does not toss the bike around.

I am going to sell it to make room for other toys.

Click on the pictures for full size view.
Old 12-17-2016, 11:50 AM
Motorized Bicycle Member

FFV8 the pics won't show up. I can with work get my leg over the bike, takes a lot of effort, but I have done it a few times to ride my bike.
Old 12-17-2016, 12:30 PM

There are several ways to skin a cat. Velosolex offers a step through frame, and can be fitted with a chair, or the engine can go on a pre existing trike.

Another option

Last edited by Ludwig II; 12-17-2016 at 12:32 PM.
Old 02-04-2017, 01:21 AM
Motorized Bicycle Member

I found a commercially made sidecar in Europe. Pricey but it would be simple to make an equal or better version. http://www.scandinaviansidebike.com/sidecar-carbon.html
On the link are 3 pics.
1. the body that could be made from wood or poor man's fiberglass covered foam.
2. the frame, fender and wheel.
3. the mount that mounts to the bicycle, that the frame will attach to, a simple item to make.