Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum  

Sponsors

Go Back   Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum > Motorized Bicycle > Board Trackers and Vintage Motorized Bicycles

Board Trackers and Vintage Motorized Bicycles Vintage enthusiasts share your board trackers and other vintage motorized bicycles ideas, builds and replicas here

Old 11-23-2009, 02:42 PM
Motorized Bicycle Newbie

Default re: Sidecars?

Alright, so I summoned up all of my image grab skills to bring you these horrid quality pics of the attachments:

I have no idea what order these will be displayed in, but descriptions are as follows:
1. Front triangles on frame downtube
2. Front 1"x1" welded to the trailer
3. Rear peg with hole
4. Rear trailer nubbin
5. Overall View of the frame in paint
Attached Images
File Type: jpg front triangles.jpg (117.9 KB, 484 views)
File Type: jpg trailer front.jpg (148.9 KB, 436 views)
File Type: jpg rear peg.jpg (76.9 KB, 449 views)
File Type: jpg trailer rear nubbin.jpg (93.7 KB, 469 views)
File Type: jpg overall.jpg (131.9 KB, 477 views)
Old 11-23-2009, 03:41 PM
The Boy Who Never Grew Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbmxm View Post
Alright, so I summoned up all of my image grab skills to bring you these horrid quality pics of the attachments:

I have no idea what order these will be displayed in, but descriptions are as follows:
1. Front triangles on frame downtube
2. Front 1"x1" welded to the trailer
3. Rear peg with hole
4. Rear trailer nubbin
5. Overall View of the frame in paint
That really helps to see the pictures. So the front mount can allow the attached arm to swivel up and down. I have to figure a way to make an attachment without welding, since I don't weld. There is another way to do it, but what that is I don't know yet. I suppose it also depends on the bike the frame is attached to. The rear mount is different from the one I have which came with the trailer and attaches to the axle with a female receptacle just below the axle nut. The swing arm fits inside it and is held in place with the pin clip.
SB
Old 11-23-2009, 03:52 PM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member

Biggest thing to remember though is it really isn't enough to get the sidecar to lean into a turn, you're still going to end up more or less dragging the sidecar wheel through a turn unless the sidecar wheel lines up perpendicular with the rear wheel.

Think of it as having three wheels inline and only the front turns, one of the two rear wheels is going to have to "scrub" (slide sideways) through a turn.
Old 11-23-2009, 03:53 PM
Motorized Bicycle Newbie

Also note that this is on a 20" BMX....so it approximates the height of the trailer really well...

As for a front mount without the welding, you could probably run some threaded rod through the trailer frame toward the frame, then figure out a spring mechanism up to the downtube??? Or you could heat up the rod and bend it.

Oh, and I definitely had to grind down the axle on the wheel to get it to match the axle linkage from the 16" wheel that came on the trailer.
Old 11-24-2009, 01:53 AM
Motorized Bicycle Senior Member

Woah, lots of ideas. I tried a pivoting sidecar on a motorcycle, it was more natural than the rigid set up I have now on my bicycle but the rigid was so easy to build. I'm toying with a body now but wanted to say I added a pocket rocket electric motor. Now with a little pedaling I can out run my 27" Sekia 1000 with a very heavy bike. The batteries make for good balast too. I put the sprocket to a three speed rear tire in place of the sidecar tire so it has gears to boot. I'll get pics up later.
Old 11-30-2009, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverbear View Post
Like you guys, I've been thinking about a sidecar for years. In doing some research on the old timers, including the Watsonian, it seems they were set up so that the connection could flex or turn (not sure how to put it), so that the bike could still lean into turns. Wouldn't it handle kind of weirdly if it can't lean? Anyway, that's what I'm trying to figure out. I keep picturing the front end of an aluminum canoe with it chopped off a few feet back and a wooden squared off end in place as a very cool sidecar. Much of the structural support could be from the canoe itself... strong and lightweight. I've been on the lookout for one wrecked in a rapids. Maybe next summer. Still can't figure out the connection to the bike, though. I also want to be able to detach it easily. Any ideas? Some enterprising machinist could come up with an attachment kit and make some money. I think a lot of motorbikers would be interested in a sidecar if they thought they could put one together themselves and if it could detach.
SB
silverbear,
Just a thought on finding an old canoe ... if there's a canoe rental near you they might have an old beater that's really cheap.

"There's never a reason to be unkind."
Ravi Zacharias
Old 12-07-2009, 03:35 PM

Pictures by speedydick - Photobucket

I have put the pictures of the side car I'm building as I frame it. Photo bucket above will take you to the sight.
It will be a Chris Craft style boat with mahogany lapstrake sides.
It is 2x4 ft x15" tall. I'll post more photos as i finish it.

Your thoughts, positive or negative are most welcome and if you have a question please ask.

Steve.
Old 12-07-2009, 04:44 PM
The Boy Who Never Grew Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddy View Post
Pictures by speedydick - Photobucket

I have put the pictures of the side car I'm building as I frame it. Photo bucket above will take you to the sight.
It will be a Chris Craft style boat with mahogany lapstrake sides.
It is 2x4 ft x15" tall. I'll post more photos as i finish it.

Your thoughts, positive or negative are most welcome and if you have a question please ask.

Steve.
Steve, that's just awesome! I know we're looking at the skeleton, so to speak, and that a beautiful mahogany skin is going to follow, but it's clear you know what you're doing. Not only is it a beautiful build, but you designed it, too! I am impressed sir, and tip my hat to you. (Actually I don't wear a hat, so I tip my imaginary hat... )
SB
Old 12-07-2009, 11:14 PM

Silver Bear, thank you. I just told BarelyAWake that my brother came into the shop and said when you build the next one you will know what to do. The kid knows me!
If I do do another one it will be 18" wide not 24"
To hard to bend the wood when it's that wide.

Covered the frame with 1/4" luan plywood today and kept thinking about birch bark and spruce root stitching. Gotta tell ya my foot was tapping and I was humming.
That is a got to do.

Saw a side car from the early 1900's and would that be a joy to build. High back and low sides, door. Almost like a throne.
One at a time.

Steve.
Old 12-07-2009, 11:34 PM

A friend of mine had a motorized bicycle with a sidecar that was shaped like a coffin. It was the coolest lookin' bike ever. It was just recently stolen from the Stanford university area. If any one out there hears about or sees this very distinctive ride please contact me through this site.

Sharksfan.