Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum  

Sponsors

Go Back   Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum > Motorized Bicycle > Board Trackers and Vintage Motorized Bicycles

Board Trackers and Vintage Motorized Bicycles Vintage enthusiasts share your board trackers and other vintage motorized bicycles ideas, builds and replicas here

Old 11-23-2009, 06:37 AM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member

Default re: Sidecars?

1934 Hercules Popular Lady’s 22″ Bicycle with Watsonian Sidecar www.Oldbike.eu

I get it now with the canoe thing - in that light it's an awesome idea silverbear! BTW I used to work makin' cedarstrip guideboats;

I loved the craft... hated the job lol

There's a buncha neat sidecars here (motorcycles tho);
Cycle Sidecar - Photo Gallery: Images from the 2006 Griffith Park Sidecar Rally

and even a "boat" sidecar
http://www.cyclesidecar.com/images/c...motorcycle.jpg

Last edited by BarelyAWake; 11-23-2009 at 06:43 AM.
Old 11-23-2009, 08:08 AM
The Boy Who Never Grew Up

Thanks for posting the photos and links. Some very cool sidecars there. A special challenge for us is keeping things light enough. I got that cano bow on my bb brain now... nice little bow light and a stern light sticking up... maybe an American flag back there. Rig up a wheel generator to run the sidecar lights. Hmmm... I was in a guy's welding shop once where he had an old Grumman hanging on the wall to show off his welding skills. It was two ends joined together to make a little duck hunting boat, just a few feet long. Of course I liked it lots and wanted one, even though I had no use for it. I like your guide boat. Very nice. With your skills I'm sure you could make something really awesome.
SB
Old 11-23-2009, 08:59 AM

That guideboat isn't mine BTW, I mighta been involved in makin' it - but I've no idea, the pic is from their site. I did want one, but at $16.000 starting price (oars are $300 a pop) I'd hafta make one... and that would involve the shop of my own I never had.

The skills in that place were a priceless experience tho, that's the only reason I worked there
Old 11-23-2009, 09:40 AM

Making a pivoting sidecare is not as easy as it would seem. Not many motorcycle sidecars are. The one in the pic above is not so far as I can tell. If it is what's keeping the bike and car from leaning up against each other?

For example, on the one above, if it is leanable. If you take a left turn at speed and your going too fast, you (the rider) will be violently flopped over to the right. Because you can only lean so far (not very) over to the left and because the ballast of the sidecar no longer keeps you upright. If it is rigid then increasing the ballast allows for a faster speed (i.e. passanger leans, you lean). Again w/ the pic above if you lean that bike over to the left the car leans right and vice-versa. And when you lean, the bikes rear wheel and the sidecars wheel are trying to move closer and spread apart while running parallel. Meaning at least one of them has to slide closer and further away.

The ones I've seen work have the car lean too through some type of scissor linkage w/ shocks and hard stops. It can be done but I think most found the setups to be less predictable than a rigid set up.

Email Support@FireBellyCycles.com

www.FireBellyCycles.com

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-kNGVCnjJVs

Old 11-23-2009, 10:27 AM

Yeah, yer right - I didn't pay much attention to the leaning aspect in my search for simple methods of mounting, sorry 'bout that lol There appears to be a small amount of pivot but ofc you and the passenger would get closer on left turns and further apart on right... I don't think it would be violent - but I don't think it'd be helpful either. I think the play is mostly for shock absorption if it's supposed to be there at all. Thanks for pickin' up on that BTW

A slightly more complex fixed system;

SIDECAR

A different take on the lean - not the car but the wheel;

Flexible Tilting Sidecars

A wicked simple bicycle version O.O

leaning sidecar

But something like the Flexit is prolly gonna be a lil more complicated;

http://bmwmotorcycletech.info/8FlexitViews.jpg

lol - alla this stuff is sooooo tempting!
Old 11-23-2009, 10:44 AM

Yeah, I guess I hadn't really thought that through very well. Everything has to flex together or not all all. Not at all sure would be simpler, but being able to lean into turns would sure be nice. Somebody lots smarter than me could probably figure something simple.
Old 11-23-2009, 11:55 AM

The mtb pic uses essentially the same parallelagram design as the Goldwing one. On the mtb the whole thing is a parallelagram but on the mc the parallelagram is between the mc and the car so that, like the wheel on the bicycle sidecar, the car stays parallel to the motorcycle. It's not all that complicated especially w/ trig calcs online. You wouldn't need a shock absorber if you had a good hd spring that would limit travel and give a similar rate on stretch and compress.

Email Support@FireBellyCycles.com

www.FireBellyCycles.com

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-kNGVCnjJVs

Old 11-23-2009, 12:10 PM
Motorized Bicycle Newbie

New to the forum, and to building sidecars, but I just hacked up an old Burley style trailer, and used the spring loaded swingarm to get some flex in the rear, then made the front mount pivot in the vertical plane to gain some maneuverability...all of it is held on by quick release pins for taking on and off quickly. I wouldn't put anyone I love in the thing, but great for taking beer to the park!

(Old pic...I'm having to use image grabs from my flip since my camera broke)

Last edited by BarelyAWake; 02-01-2014 at 03:44 AM. Reason: dead links
Old 11-23-2009, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbmxm View Post
New to the forum, and to building sidecars, but I just hacked up an old Burley style trailer, and used the spring loaded swingarm to get some flex in the rear, then made the front mount pivot in the vertical plane to gain some maneuverability...all of it is held on by quick release pins for taking on and off quickly. I wouldn't put anyone I love in the thing, but great for taking beer to the park!

(Old pic...I'm having to use image grabs from my flip since my camera broke)
Excellent! That swingarm is what I pictured doing with the old kiddie trailer I had been eyeballing. It is spring loaded where it attaches to the rear axle and on this one I can move that swing arm further back and reverse it, like you have done. Do you have a photo of how it attaches up front? By the way, a hearty welcome to the forum!
SB

Last edited by BarelyAWake; 02-01-2014 at 03:43 AM. Reason: dead links
Old 11-23-2009, 01:34 PM
Motorized Bicycle Newbie

Hey thanks silver bear,
Well, I took it all down this morning to paint it, so no I don't have any pics of the attachments, but as soon as I do, I will post them to this thread.

As far as the attachments go:

Rear: The trailer nubbin is the male, and an old bmx peg is the female. A hole was drilled in the peg and the pin passes through to hold it.

Front: Two triangle tabs welded to the down tube and a piece of steel 1"x1" welded to the front left corner of what is left of the original trailer.

I also cut down the width of the trailer to accommodate the keg, then had it all welded back together, and used the original screws/nuts for added secure awesomness!