Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum  

Sponsors

Go Back   Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum > Motorized Bicycle > Motorized Bicycle General Discussion

Motorized Bicycle General Discussion All topics regarding bicycles with engines.

Old 01-15-2008, 04:26 PM
Master Bike Builder & Forum Sponsor

Default re: Motorized Bicycle Take a Tip...Leave a Tip

Indeed - post of the week material!
Old 01-15-2008, 07:00 PM
Godfather of Motorized Bicycles

Maybe the Admin could put it up as a "sticky" somewhere?
Old 01-15-2008, 07:21 PM
Administrator

consider it done.
Old 01-16-2008, 06:31 PM
minor bike philosopher

since we are sharing tips.... this probably isn't for everyone but...

I bought a 20" kids bike for the wheels to make a trailer. At the same time I was having trouble with one of my big bikes. The pedals were just to high on the upstroke. It was very uncomfortable and it was my first bike in forty years so I was still relearning how to do things. My balance was terrible at the time and the discomfort was worrisome.

Anyway, I switched out the crank and pedal sets. Low and behold the pedals were low enough to actually be comfortable. Yes I had to shorten the chain a few links but it gave me a great big unexpected advantage as well. I put this on on electric bike at first and it make the hills easier to climb. I had a smaller front gear so it pedaled easier. I moved that crank set to my 24 kit bike now. Today I realize that it makes starting off from a stop sign on a hill a heck of a lot easier. Since all I really use the pedals for is to start off and to assist on steep hills right now, the smaller sprocket makes no difference and the pedal throw is much more comfortable.

Like I said not for everyone but it might be something to think about if you have a kids bike around. Might only work on cruisers though.
Old 01-16-2008, 06:46 PM
Manufacturer/Dealer

On some of the new engine kits I have installed there has been junk in the gas tank right from the factory....yes a shop vac can suck out loose stuff (obviously, as mentioned earlier, only do this BEFORE any gas has been used).

I typically go a step further though....I assume there may be loose stuff waiting to break loose so I will put some bb's ( or larger sling shot bearings) into the new tank and shake for awhile....You'd surprised how well this cleans up even surface rust in the tank...of course you have to thoroughly vac / clean out the tank afterwards....You can rest assured that there is nothing waiting to break free and plug up the in tank strainer.

Andrew

Andrew
Old 01-16-2008, 09:54 PM
LORD VADER Moderator

to clean your tank if new and if used make sure its emptenty and buy a box of bb's or pellets or lead or steel shot washer etc. something metalic easy in to be easy out pour into tank. Shake the tank with the cap on and fueline plugged until your arms feel like they are going to fall off.or the redneck way I do not recommend this way warp it in towels and throw it in the dryer this is a good way to see God because if you've ever had gas in there you and eveyone there will see him or the other guy.BOOOOOM!
Now that we are tired of shaking the tank rince it with warm soapy water and rince with clean water then get a bottle of heat and rince the tank with it . You should be good to go rust should be mostly gone you could spary B-12 carb cleaner in there or wd-40 until your ready to put in fuel and please use an inline fuel filter.
Norman
Old 01-17-2008, 12:13 AM
Dealer

Tank cleaning: you guys go to a lot of trouble here, so I'll add to the mix with what I've been doing too long to remember.

Buy BB's or other tiny stuff? Nope! I will either use nuts and bolts, or a short lenght of small chain, chain is best as you only got to pull out one piece and you get it all.

Swish till done, and then I will swish with a bit of rubbing alcohol. Alcohol is cheap, easy and clean, and rarely ever explodes.

I hope this makes it easier for you-all!

Mike
Whizzer, Pacesetter Products, Starfire, and SkyHawk
Old 01-17-2008, 06:32 AM
minor bike philosopher

I like the last one best. I don't have to buy anything and I have often used rubbing alcohol to mix with gas to burn the water off. Alcohol mixes with water and then mixes with gasoline and burns. At least that is what I have been told and it seems to work. The engine might not run good, but it will burn the gas. At least that has been my experience.
Old 01-18-2008, 06:52 PM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member

The best thing I have found is slipping rubber pieces between the cylinder fins. You will be blown away by the dramatic change in engine noise...it's unbelievable!!! Put them every where you can that does not restrict air flow.

...Q
...(_\g
..(_)/(_)
Old 01-18-2008, 10:44 PM
Master Bike Builder & Forum Sponsor

Seems like the rubber will melt, but I know they actually sell dampers for that purpose. What rubber did you use?

Here's mine for today: I find that an 3/8" air ratchet is the cat's meow for the sprocket bolts. (a big air wrench is too bulky, ratchet nice!)

Tags
advice, bicycle, motorized, repair