Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum  

Sponsors

Go Back   Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum > Bicycle Motor > DIY Home Built Motorized Bicycle (non kit)

DIY Home Built Motorized Bicycle (non kit) Post all about your home built rides here. Weedwacker motors, lawn mower engines ect. This area is for non kit builds

Old 12-19-2016, 12:38 PM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member

Default Re: 212cc 2-speed Schwinn rebuild

I love this bike, it's another inspiration for my build. Although I'd like to keep the pull start on. I wonder if it's possible to add your own sprocket to the flywheel and make a homemade electric start? Because it definitely takes a good 2-3" out of the width of the engine.
Old 12-19-2016, 06:29 PM
Motorized Bicycle Newbie

This one could easily become a dream of mine. I really like the looks of it,
Old 12-19-2016, 06:52 PM

I like what you have done. Especially the shape of the rear triangle, the way the chain stays sweep down low. You mentioned ridin single speed for now. Can you cruise at 30 with low rpm's??
Old 12-20-2016, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogcatcher View Post
This one could easily become a dream of mine. I really like the looks of it,
Thanks for the comments guys!!

Scratch yeah I can cruise low rpms down to around 25. Right now the clutch and shoes are worn so it's engaging and disengaging a bit higher at 30ish. But you know even with the 2-speed I could cruise at 25 in high gear. Cause on heavy acceleration it could shift at 35, but then with light loads and keeping light power on it I could keep the top gear engaged almost down to 25ish but it would start slipping. 30mph top gear cruise was the best.

I think I'm gonna swap the high gear box and primary chains to #35. This will fix my 2-speed and hopefully reduce the amount of maintenance it needs while I work on other 2-speed designs. I'll be starting this other build soon probably with a Briggs 5hp and will use it to test new designs. I wanna create a 2-speed jackshaft for motorized bikes, because the ones available are for minibikes and don't have the right ratios, adjustability or shift speed.

81 Schwinn by Tony K

This bike was stretched to look like mine! The chainstays are straight though.

Last edited by Tony01; 12-20-2016 at 04:10 PM.
Old 12-20-2016, 08:19 PM

Yeah Tony, I always wanted to make a high quality 2 speed with good go kart clutches, but it wasn't very cost effective. I've even thought of a 3D Motorsports hand clutch for low gear and a good go kart centrifugal clutch for high gear override. Maybe use half-link chain for more adjustability. You could even start with a cent. clutch for low and engage the hand clutch for high. I have lots of weird thoughts, but it may give someone ideas. A planetary would be the most compact.
Old 12-20-2016, 08:30 PM

Awlright, 01 building again! From the looks of your parts, with an igh one shift not done in sync would fubar the mech with a 212. Looking forward to your trans plans.
Old 12-26-2016, 07:58 PM
Motorized Bicycle Newbie

Hey I'm currently doing a 212cc Hf build myself. Having a problem finding a good enough bike frame to put it in.... any suggestions on what frame would fit, in a decent price range....
Old 12-26-2016, 10:00 PM
Motorized Bicycle Newbie

When I was a teenager, I scavenge a 2 speed gear box off of an old Cushman my uncle had laying around and put it on my mini bike. It had one chain from the clutch and one down to the rear sprocket. It had a suicide type shift lever. That gear box was bullet proof and really worked good. I don't remember it being any bigger than some of the Jack shaft setups I've seen. I would love to find something like that to use on one of these bikes, but hav'nt really seen anything like it since. With a 5 HP Briggs, in low I could get up any hill I wanted, and in high, my mini bike went around 35 mph, that was with 16" tires, and have no idea what the actual gear ratio was.