The Rubber City Flyer

GoldenMotor.com

Robertzep

Oct 3, 2016
Akron, Ohio
Since Ohio has temporarily froze over like the Arctic...
Latest action: I found some NOS middleweight fenders. Not the right colors, but I have a plan.

My NOS S-7 Rims are here. I am not going to paint these. They have some chips from shelf wear. I could never match that "off white" that time has created!
I also received my Shimano Cb-E110 rear hub. I am still waiting for the Sturmey Archer 90mm Drum hub for the front to arrive.

No more freezing or sweating to death in my garage for me! I am re-working my basement into my workshop. This is something I would never been able to do with Hot-Rods! The garage will be for welding, painting, engine runs, and final assembly only.

Robertzep

Oct 3, 2016
Akron, Ohio
Okay, time for a little recap. I recently found a 1955 Schwinn Hornet Deluxe with some issues and negotiated a deal that I couldn't walk away from.

What do you all think of that springer fork? Believe it or not, the rest of the bike is straight! I knew of a springer and some extremely well taken care of Whizzer fenders on a parts bike for sale and bought them. Here are the parts mocked up on the 1955 Heavyweight Schwinn.

It's funny, I was so worried about the paint on the green 1956 Middleweight and then I find this basket-case of a 1955; complete with baby blue house paint. Don't worry about the green 1956 Schwinn. I plan to make her into my trail riding pedal bicycle. Northeast Ohio is blessed with some of the nations best bike trails in the Cuyahoga Valley National Park. The trail system is huge, and if you make a ride larger than you stamina, you can load you bike on the train and return for a $1! Unfortunately you can't ride a motorized bicycle on the trails. But, I still enjoy the trails and the exercise, so it is a perfect setup for the 1956 Middleweight bike. More decisions, I can paint the 1955 any color I want now...
Still a bit of a work in progress... my basement shop. That was a lot of work, but worth it!

Another perk of the basement shop is my helper is always available!

Robertzep

Oct 3, 2016
Akron, Ohio
dnutRob, so your going to motor the ballooner one huh? Blue would look good on that with the fenders you have on it. Can't wait to see your progress with it.
Yep Doc, goin with the ballooner. I put the middleweight alongside the ballooner (heavyweight), although very similar, I just like the larger beefier frame for the motorized platform. As for paint, I have a plan and the next couple of posts will cover the latest.

Robertzep

Oct 3, 2016
Akron, Ohio
Well, I have stripped the frame using non-toxic citrus stripping gel. I have had great success with this product, in fact I feel very safe using it in my basement shop.

Depending on how much archaeological paint discovery you are after, decides how you use the product. In my case, I want to remove all paint to the bare metal. Easy... brush on the stripping gel and leave it on for over a week. Yes, a week! Then take it along, to wash the car, at a pressurized diy car wash. Hit the frame with pressurized water and knock off most of the paint!

I love using old school methods to solve problems. In all the photos of the ballooner frame, there is a bent seat post. It was an attempt early in the life of this bike for a lay-back seat look. It was in the frame with two shims and I could only move it with a rubber mallet. To remove this stubborn problem without damaging the seat stay, I chose a propane torch and candle wax. All I did was melt the candle wax down between the two shims and the seat stay and then pull the post out. Worked like a charm.

Nothing bent or deformed. YES!

Robertzep

Oct 3, 2016
Akron, Ohio
After less than an hour of using scotchbite and various grits of sandpaper, I am happy with it and it's ready for primer.

Since Pre-Spring has desended in to Northeast Ohio, I painted the frame outside in February. Yes February! If looks like I caught a big one!

Last coats using a reddish primer; being loyal to the Schwinn method!

Robertzep

Oct 3, 2016
Akron, Ohio
Since the Pre-Spring in Akron, Ohio continues, I have finished painting the 1955 Ballooner frame. It is now green. I used Rust-oleum Painters touch ultra cover 2x gloss Hunter Green. which is pretty darn close to Schwinns Coach Green! Boy, Rattle can technology has really gotten good. The Rust-oleum can's have an any-angle spray with comfort spray tip that really replicates a spray gun. Simplest thing I have painted in years. I can't believe that I can spray upside-down with a rattle can!

ZipTie

Jan 8, 2016
Mpls Mn
Beautiful paint job, I like the green. Yep I was amazed at the rattle can changes nowadays when I recently did my copper indian tribute.. A guy can get a factory job now, the rattle clear coats are so much better also. Your prep paid off big time. Congrats on the shiny new paint.
Cheers
Zip

Robertzep

Oct 3, 2016
Akron, Ohio
Beautiful paint job, I like the green. Yep I was amazed at the rattle can changes nowadays when I recently did my copper indian tribute.. A guy can get a factory job now, the rattle clear coats are so much better also. Your prep paid off big time. Congrats on the shiny new paint.
Cheers
Zip
Yep, It is all in the prep and patience. Thanks for the compliments Zip, it's on the way to being a great bike!

Sep 1, 2010
Cincinnati,Ohio
Yep Doc, I am going to paint the tank. I planning on using a Schwinn tank stencil and mimic that style.[/QUOTE

How about the Frame? Are you planning on putting Ram horn stencils on it?
I seen them on E-bay for 19$, Not sure if they are the best ones for he job,,, maybe someone will chime in & give more input on them. So far you build looks awesome can't wait to see more progress. Good luck with your build DOC

dnut