Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum  

Sponsors

Go Back   Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum > Motorized Bicycle > Motorized Cruiser Bicycles

Motorized Cruiser Bicycles The beach cruiser has always been great bicycles to motorize. They just look good with a motor. Use this section to share and discuss about motorizing this classic.

Old 12-08-2016, 01:38 PM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member

Default Dedicated Race Bike For The Young Wrenchers

I've been mentoring these kids I met at Donut Derelicts for a while. Max, the leader of the pack has been putting motorbikes together for the gang and teaching them how to build and maintain them on their own. I'm trying to get them to install front brakes and put the loose wires in looms and shorten and clamp all the cables. Basically making them safer and better looking. I tried to get them to the October race and Neil sent me a bunch of Waivers because they range from 13 to 17 years old. I told them I would take them as long as one of the parents who knows all of them comes also and they have read the rules and gathered up all the safety equipment. Well, a few days before the race, Max was being pulled on a skateboard by his friend on a motorbike, on the way to buy a used 2 stroke engine, when he lost control and crashed, breaking his collarbone. So some of the other guys called me and wanted to go race anyway, no waivers, no parents on board and very little preparation. Needless to say, it didn't happen.
The kids thrash their bikes all week, or until they break, and fix them as needed. John at Banzai Machine and I help them to make repairs that need more than they're capable of doing.
So I'm making them a race only bike so when it comes time, it won't be broken. I'll take them to the track sometime to dial in the bike and see who cuts the fastest lap time. That will determine who races first. And if any of the other bikes are running, they can also race them.
Anyway the bike will be a stock Chinese motor on an old Hawthorne 24'' frame. No chain tensioner, heavy spokes, drum front and rear brakes with no suspension. Still needs a little work, but we have plenty of time.

Old 12-08-2016, 08:04 PM
Motorized Bicycle Member

Default Re: Dedicated Race Bike For The Young Wrenchers

MSRFAN, thanks for making a difference in young men's lives! Youth require exciting activities which can occupy their minds and keep them away from mischief. Motor bicycling is a perfect fit. Keep up the good work!

On the other hand, that is a really nice looking ride! I certainly dig it!
Old 12-08-2016, 10:18 PM

Thanks Jankey, it was so cool seeing all these kids with tools instead of games.
Old 03-14-2017, 11:38 AM

Race day is getting close and I need to get this bike on the road.
Old 03-15-2017, 11:10 PM

Made some progress on the bike today. Installed axle adjusters. Then drilled and tapped the fork and frame where the brake stay buttons will go. Used 1/4-20 allen bolts threaded from the inside out, then need to weld the outside.

I used double straps for the fuel tank so the studs won't tend to pull out when tightening. It seems to be more secure also.

After that, I made a heavy duty front brake cable and front motor mount. Installed the module and exhaust end cap. I'll try to get more done tomorrow.
Old 03-16-2017, 09:18 AM
Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles

Nice looking bike & nice truck!! (I have a 64 C10).

I'll see you guys at the track.

Follow VMB on facebook>>> facebook.com/VeniceMotorBikes

Follow VMB on Instagram>>> instagram.com/venicemotorbikes
Old 03-16-2017, 09:40 AM

Thanks Norm. The kids put this motor together from spare parts, so it's their effort that'll pay off. My C10 is a '66.
Old 03-16-2017, 10:33 PM
a guy who makes cool bikes

If I get my bike's dialed in in time, I can help you out, if you need it. Might have a few fancy parts for ya, too.
Old 03-17-2017, 06:09 PM

Thanks baird, I may need you between now and race day. I have some time to test ride and get the bugs out. I finished the wiring, cables and clamps. May still install an exhaust brace. I had to trim the rubber flange on the air cleaner to clear the frame.