Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum  

Sponsors

Go Back   Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum > Bicycle Motor > Norm's 2 stroke repair center

Norm's 2 stroke repair center Having problems with your 2 stroke engine? Just ask Norm, he loves to tinker and troubleshoot engines

Old 09-17-2016, 04:26 AM
Motorized Bicycle Member

Default Re: can't find an answer then ask here someone may be able to help!!

Is the zl rod a 38mm or 40?mm
Old 09-17-2016, 01:27 PM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatdaddy View Post
A quick test would be to, take out plug, Plug it back into boot, lay it on engine head for ground, give it a kick and check for spark. If the plug is grounded good you will get spark, unless the COIL is bad. PLEASE FOLKS, get the guy started in the right direction by intsructing on the proper use of names for parts. a coil is not a magneto. The MAGNETO is the oblong spinning MAGnet inside of the COIL.
fatdaddy.
Yes, let's do get our terminology correct.
The coil is not part of the magneto, nor is it in the engine. The coil is the component that has the spark plug wire coming out of it. Usually it is a separate part, but the coil in these engine kits is built into the CDI housing (the black box that mounts to the frame of the bike).
Under the timing cover of the engine is a spinning magnet that is attached to the end of the crankshaft. That spinning magnet is called the rotor. Surrounding the rotor is a U-shaped piece of steel with a spool of wire on it. That part is the stator. The spool of wire is the stator winding (not the coil; calling it a coil confuses the issue). The rotor/stator/winding combination is the magneto.
Old 09-17-2016, 01:48 PM

the zl rod is a 38MM rod
Type A = 15/16" Bottom of piston to center of connecting rod. Used on 38mm rods. Also on specialized ZAE 50 rods 38mm stroke - If you have this rod and crank, double check

Type B = 1 1/16" Bottom of piston to center of connecting rod. Used on 40mm rods.

-------------------------------------------

Z-L Rod = 38mm / Type A Piston - PK Type (Non-Caged)

CY Rod = 38mm / Type A Piston - PK Type

FM80 Rod = 40mm / Type B Piston - GT5 Type

ZAE 50 Rod = 38mm / Type A Specialized crank setup.= 38mm / Type B Piston - PK Type

ZAF 60 Rod =

ZAF80 Rod = 40mm / Type B Piston - GT5 Type

No Mark Rod = 40mm / Type B Piston - PK Type (Caged)

ZAF 50, ZAF 60, and ZAF 80. The higher the number, the longer, and therefore heavier. You can run a pk piston in a gt5 as long as the con rod has z-l on it or zaf 50 not the zaf 60 though and yes the jugs are different the biggest visual difference is the gt5 usually has a tapered transfer port window.
Old 09-17-2016, 04:17 PM
Motorized Bicycle Member

Your answer is appreciated. You got that information from the" technically speaking "Page by Ozark. This is the article that originally got me second-guessing what I thought I already knew. I watched the video that Fred from CR machine did on engine configuration and he's rather certain that the zl Rod is a 40 millimeter stroke.
Old 09-17-2016, 04:43 PM

Terminology again. 38mm or 40mm is not the rod length. It is the piston stroke, which is an entirely different thing.
Sorry, but come on, guys!

I do get what you're saying, DRBS, and it's great information.
Old 09-19-2016, 05:08 PM
Motorized Bicycle Newbie

Default Need help with mounting new/different motor on Stretched frame

I am trying to figure out how I am going to put a motor on my current stretched cruiser bike. It does not have V type frame. Its completely open in the middle. gas tank built into frame .reason . I would say the middle section of the frame is shaped like a bathtub. Anyone have any ideas. Im new to this stuff. I bought the bike from a guy that built them in his garage. It currently has a friction drive on it that engages under my seat where it hits the tire. Im not sure If I could mount a rear wheel friction drive over the back tire. I would prefer to change it all together and put a chain drive motor on it. Please help if you have the answer
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bike1.jpg (160.3 KB, 13 views)
Old 09-19-2016, 10:23 PM
Motorized Bicycle Member

Pretty sweet bike. It will be a lot of work but you need the right mounts, short chain on right side long one in the left. Look up the occ choppers and other stretched chopper builds.
Old 10-01-2016, 03:17 PM
Motorized Bicycle Newbie

I just assembled my 80cc motor bike it stays in freewheeling all the time and there's no spark with the sparkplug it looks wired correctly black to black blue to blue ...please help
Old 10-01-2016, 04:53 PM
Motorized Bicycle Member

Make sure the ground (black wire) is grounded well. Screws are tight on magnito, the magnet is on the right way and the spark plug boot is also tight the magnet should be in the two o'clock posistion at tdc.