Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum  

Sponsors

Go Back   Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum > Motorized Bicycle Mechanical Components > Intake & Exhaust

Intake & Exhaust The ins and outs - carburetors, manifolds, mufflers, expansion chambers and more to keep your engine running the way you like

Old 01-05-2013, 02:46 AM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member

Default Re: The Silencer

im sorry but that thing looks horrible.. go to a metal shop get yourself 2 inch outter diamiter tube 24 inches long then take the bafles out of the stock muffler drill more holes in the tube insert into new pipe then get fiberglass insulateion stuff it.. then get exhaust flex tube from napa.. and run it from the bike to the back of your tire it will be 1/2 as loud
Old 02-26-2013, 11:54 AM

Aesthetics aren't always everything, if he's saving money and it really works (I mean he can hear his intake noise...) then it's just fine.

Also just wondering, is there a way to do this without welding/brazing, like screwing in copper fittings that are threaded with some silicone sealant in between the threads?
Old 04-07-2013, 09:32 AM
$50 Cruiser

Mike B- Good tinkering man! Nobody else has the 'Mike B switchback exhaust quieting system'!

MysterySandwich_ Brazing and soldering don't appear too daunting, having never done them before myself. I suggest you spend $20 and give it a shot! That's what I intend to do. It's not a gas tank that may require quite a bit more finesse, so why not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysterySandwich View Post
Aesthetics aren't always everything, if he's saving money and it really works (I mean he can hear his intake noise...) then it's just fine.
Need It Make It Got It
Old 04-07-2013, 02:22 PM
Gutter Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacotruck View Post
So what actually lowers the sound
I know this is a old unanswered question. I want to add a comment that will help some folks understand. Every time sound has to travel through a 90 degree bend it becomes less loud. The steep angle of the turn it has to make traps and deadens audible noise.
Old 04-07-2013, 11:15 PM

I found a better web page for some of that rubber exhaust hose. I might go this route if the autozone doesn't have any. I don't want to go stainless. and the flex tubes price per foot at the diameter I wanted was insane.

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs...1#.UWJD4qLvt8E
Old 05-08-2013, 11:31 PM
Motorized Bicycle Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike B View Post
In an effort to make the happy time a bit more quiet, I came up with this.

An Arnold 1/2" B&S muffler with the threaded end cut down and 1/2" copper pipe brazed in. And some elbows and street elbows.

It works! The sound is lower and the low end torque is higher. I can now run slower w/o the annoying "jerkyness". Rolling off the throttle coming to a stop is much smoother. I'm going to add another elbow and a reducer tomorrow and see how that works.

Then I'll paint it all with the high temp grill paint and life will be good.
Hi there Mike! I apologize for bothering you so long after you made the original post, but I LOVE what you did here! I was curious where you purchased the small sausage muffler at the end of your copper piping? I am working on an exhaust rig using the same basic design (90 degree turns with more copper piping and routing exhaust behind me). I would love to get my hands on one of those compact sausage mufflers as an addon to my exhaust system to make it much quieter
Old 05-09-2013, 10:19 AM

No problem, glad to help another guy wanting a quieter bike -

The little muffler is an Arnold 1/2" pipe thread Briggs and Stratton muffler that you can get at the hardware store in the lawnmower parts area. I cut off the threaded section and just brazed the copper pipe after inserting into the steel pipe.
Old 05-09-2013, 12:14 PM

Thanks so much!! I really appreciate the specific info and I am now even more excited to get going on the exhaust! Thanks again Mike!
Old 05-22-2013, 06:52 PM

So, this might already been answered, it IS possible to just use that copper piping to have the muffler go straight to the back of the bike and then just add the B&S sausage muffler at the end??
Old 08-29-2016, 11:17 PM
Motorized Bicycle Newbie

Thats a db snorkel design