Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum  

Sponsors

Go Back   Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum > Motorized Bicycle > Board Trackers and Vintage Motorized Bicycles

Board Trackers and Vintage Motorized Bicycles Vintage enthusiasts share your board trackers and other vintage motorized bicycles ideas, builds and replicas here

Old 03-01-2016, 10:44 AM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member

Default 1911 Flying Merkel single build.

Well All righty then! Its FINALLY time to start a build thread on this beastie. Long long ago, I made a trade for this frame forks and tank with truckd. He got a Westfield / Pope made Shapley frame and forks. He ended up getting the short end of the stick as it turned out the forks were a bit bent. Not proud of that, but it was still a nice frame and all. This one has been laying about in my garrage for quite a while but about a month ago I dug it out with all the bits and took it and a build stand over to my friend Bob's shop. He's a paint and body man with ALL the tools and skills I need to do something like this properly. I had been assembling parts for this one for well over a year. Just a bit here and there. I traded Bob partial value in a Chinese "Pre Ban" AK-47 I had in the safe, to cover the labor and shop consumables. The motor I've had for a VERY long time indeed. It was originally going on the Pope build but I decided I wanted the flathead for that one. What I have is a Honda GX100 that I will eventually "vintagify" ( Its a word because I say so ) Worksman Industrial wheels, a Sturmey Archer 90mm front drum hub, and some spare custom bits I bought from Dan Orabona way back when for just in case I ever needed em reasons. Glad I did now cuz I don't think he's making bits or bikes anymore. ENOUGH TALK ! PICTURES! First un is what Im hopeing to have in the end.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Flying-Merkel-1911 single bigger.jpg (168.1 KB, 117 views)

Last edited by Velodrome; 03-01-2016 at 11:29 AM.
Old 03-01-2016, 11:10 AM

Default Re: 1911 Flying Merkel single build.

We started by adding a bunch of gussets and braceing to the frame as this could be a 40 MPH bike in the end. I didn't want the chain and seat stays or the front end buckeling with my weight on it at those speeds. I also wanted to use an internal throttle like the original and so had a 1" bar fabricated. this will match to a Nash "sticky throttle" Possably the WORST name for a throttle ever. but there is a reason. apparently it has a sort of cruise control built into it. I got the bottom bracket bits from http://custommotoredbicycles.com/wid...bottom_bracket second kit down. My intent is to make a quill or cassette style gear reduction, sort of / kind of like Sportcarpat makes for his flyers.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FM 1.jpg (678.0 KB, 117 views)
File Type: jpg FM2.2.jpg (543.4 KB, 95 views)
File Type: jpg FM3.jpg (674.0 KB, 90 views)
File Type: jpg FM4.1.jpg (502.2 KB, 87 views)
File Type: jpg FM5.jpg (712.9 KB, 111 views)
Old 03-01-2016, 11:27 AM

Having disassembled the Worksman wheels for eventual powdercoat of the rims I had no wheels for the build /test process. SO I had to buy some Husky wheels to make the test fitting process easier. At the end of the build I'll sell em, as this should be my last internal combustion build. The Quill stem is a nice old bit I found on my favorite source for vintage bike bits. eBay is your friend Its lucky I'm putting tires on this bike because the drop loop is a bit DEEP! The Continental retroriders in 26X2.1 give just enough ground clearance, but may end up getting replaced with Quick Bricks, which are a bit taller when checked side by side against the ones on my Felt Twin build. The original rear dropouts were front facing Electra style. No good... Luck was with me when on a whim YEARS ago I bought some custom replacement dropouts with built in adjusters, to fix a problem like this when I was thinking about doing an Electra build; from Dan O. Bob welded the crap out of them and we both had a try grinding them into submission so they look nice.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FM6.jpg (721.2 KB, 95 views)
File Type: jpg FM7.jpg (636.6 KB, 66 views)
File Type: jpg FM8.jpg (597.3 KB, 70 views)
File Type: jpg FM9.jpg (576.1 KB, 66 views)
File Type: jpg FM5.5.jpg (647.4 KB, 94 views)

Last edited by Velodrome; 03-01-2016 at 11:33 AM.
Old 03-01-2016, 12:14 PM

Man that looks good so far,nice work....................Curt
Old 03-01-2016, 12:27 PM

Yep looks good..that is quite the drop in that loop!
Old 03-01-2016, 12:41 PM

Yup! Ghona need a skid plate! Actually, on the ground WITH the tires on its not all that bad. It will get over speed bumps anyways.
Old 03-01-2016, 03:57 PM

Lookin good.
Old 03-01-2016, 07:23 PM

"vintagify", derived from vintagizing I would assume, or to vintagize? I've been using the term regularly since you coined the term building your flathead. This build is looking awesome.
Old 03-01-2016, 08:30 PM

Thanks Harold. Yes; it started with the first flathead. I'll be doing less emulating this time though... Vision is starting to go.
Old 03-01-2016, 08:34 PM

Vintagetrification from the Latin simpliticus tomfoolicate meaning? Hmmm where did old Father Benedict wonder off to just when I need him?

Super start on the faux Merkel! I do like your choice of power & look forward to how you'll fill up the loop. I'm signed on & know you'll finish up with a wonderful classic board tracker. Rick C.