Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum  

Sponsors

Go Back   Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum > Motorized Bicycle > Motorized Tandems, Trikes and Recumbent Bicycles

Motorized Tandems, Trikes and Recumbent Bicycles Trikes (tricycle) and recumbent bicycles can give the ultimate in comfort for cruising on long trips or just around town. Ad an engine and they will really turn some heads.

Old 12-03-2010, 08:50 AM
The Boy Who Never Grew Up

Default Indian Tadpole

I wanted to share this photo and also some thoughts about a convertible tadpole I've been thinking about. The photo was sent to me by fasteddy of sidecar fame and we've each been been talking about building something in the same spirit... vintage, early motorcycle look powered by a 5 horse Briggs & Stratton engine. I've also been talking to BarelyAWake and though it best to stop high jacking his build thread and give this subject it's own. I said to him yesterday...
"The thought rolling around in my head is of a convertible early days looking cruiser... straightbar frame like a Panther or your Rollfast... with a 5 hsp briggs motor all set up as a two wheeler, but with a convertible feature where at the front fork tube the fork comes out and a tadpole front end goes in in it's place making it a three wheeler. I'm over simplifying and it would need more tie in to the frame of the bike, but you get the idea. Actually a convertible in three ways. A stand alone two wheeler, a detachable canoe sidecar to fit on to it or with the different front end a tadpole with the sidecar body now on a two wheeled trailer pulled behind. (The dog has to have her ride). Something to think about. The ultimate geezer 3 in 1 ride. Sigh...
Your dream machine inspires others to dream, too. That's a good thing, my friend, to inspire dreams. It makes the world a better place.
SB"
And this morning...
"Don't mean to highjack your thread, Barely, just want to talk a little about tadpoles, kind of like hanging out while you're working on your project and shooting the breeze about related stuff. The picture is something Fasteddy shared with me as he's gimpy, too, and for that reason we share an interest in sidecars, three wheelers, etc. I don't know where he found it, but I think that bike is just beautiful and can't stop thinking about it. So I'm seeing a panther frame, a five horse Briggs with a kick start, nice cream tires like that and handmade wheels. So while you're lying on the floor turning wrenches give some daydream time to that tadpole front end in the picture and whether or not I'm nuts for thinking of a convertible bike. Some other time we can talk about it maybe.
SB"
So I thought I'd share this with everyone, if nothing else for the cool picture of a three wheeled Indian. If this catches your interest, lets talk about it some. I'm thinking to do a Briggs build over the next year or two as a slow, long term project of my conception of the ultimate bike. I'd like to share ideas about that tadpole front end... suspension, brakes and such.
SB
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ScreenShot208.jpg (130.7 KB, 3600 views)
Old 12-03-2010, 09:04 AM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member

Default Re: Indian Tadpole

IHMO that thing looks very unstable. It looks like it steers like a wagon whereas a tadpole steers like a car and it has a high center of gravity. It would probably be o.k. at LOW speeds. a tadpole could be built with an upright seat and a little higher than normal. Take a look at these pages.
http://www.fleettrikes.com/ and http://www.ihpva.org/projects/tstrike/home.htm

Last edited by Elmo; 12-03-2010 at 09:10 AM.
Old 12-03-2010, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elmo View Post
IHMO that thing looks very unstable. It looks like it steers like a wagon whereas a tadpole steers like a car and it has a high center of gravity. It would probably be o.k. at LOW speeds. a tadpole could be built with an upright seat and a little higher than normal. Take a look at these pages.
Fleet Trikes and Recumbent Cycle Projects
I think you should take a closer look Steve sent me that picture and there is tierod and spindles up front so it does stear like a car.
It would be one awesome build with 5hp Briggs. I cant waite to see it if you build it.
Old 12-03-2010, 11:49 PM

My bad you are right. It does appear to have spindles so I would think that it would not be unstable as I said.
Old 12-03-2010, 09:39 AM
The Boy Who Never Grew Up

Hey Elmo,
I don't want to build a recumbent, but I am interested in a three wheeler. Do you think then that two wheels in back would be better? I had been thinking the two up front might be more stable at turns. I understand about lower speed and I know it doesn't make much sense with a 5 hsp motor, but I love the look of the briggs builds and am thinking of one bike that I can use in different ways as I get older. Right now I'm good on two wheels and I may be for some years yet. If the paralysis in my feet and legs gets worse then I may need either a sidecar or three wheeler and understand that either one suggests lower speed. I'm no speed demon anyway, but I do like power even if I don't have to use it other than on hills and such.
I like what Barely is doing with his recumbent and it fits him, but I'd never be able to climb out of that bike and I like sitting upright so I can look around. Is there a way to both sit upright and be able to change the steering on that Indian in the picture to make it turn better? Thanks for your thoughts on this, bud.
SB
Old 12-03-2010, 11:36 AM

I am sure that making the front wheels steerable could be done but it would take a lot of design and fabrication. It is probable that someone has already done this and posted it on the web somewhere as there is very little that hasn't been done by someone somewhere.

The reason that I sent one of the links was that there was a tadpole on one that is pretty upright and could be built more upright. Pic below. http://www.ihpva.org/Projects/tstrike/trike3.htm It might still be too hard to mount and dismount though. Keep dreaming and looking and you will find or build what you are looking for.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg thumb_7.jpg (38.0 KB, 949 views)

Last edited by Elmo; 12-03-2010 at 11:41 AM.
Old 12-03-2010, 12:41 PM

Check out this page for some ideas. Trikes and (odd) bikes.: Tadpoles?
And this one Trikes and (odd) bikes.: The Viktor

Last edited by Elmo; 12-03-2010 at 12:47 PM.
Old 12-03-2010, 12:12 PM
Super Moderator

Unstable or not, that is one cool looking old trike. Even if all you did was poke around at 10 to 15 mph, it would be neat. A leather flying helmet and goggles would just top it off. Thanks for sharing that with us, Silver B.
Tom
Old 12-03-2010, 12:15 PM

i have a trike with the two in back in turns i dont have any issues honestly. of course i do slow down for them just to make sure of it. I am definitely interested in seeing one like that indian and seeing how it handles.
Old 12-03-2010, 12:40 PM

Cool Re: Indian Tadpole

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverbear View Post
I wanted to share this photo and also some thoughts about a convertible tadpole I've been thinking about. The photo was sent to me by fasteddy of sidecar fame and we've each been been talking about building something in the same spirit... vintage, early motorcycle look powered by a 5 horse Briggs & Stratton engine. I've also been talking to BarelyAWake and though it best to stop high jacking his build thread and give this subject it's own. I said to him yesterday...
"The thought rolling around in my head is of a convertible early days looking cruiser... straightbar frame like a Panther or your Rollfast... with a 5 hsp briggs motor all set up as a two wheeler, but with a convertible feature where at the front fork tube the fork comes out and a tadpole front end goes in in it's place making it a three wheeler. I'm over simplifying and it would need more tie in to the frame of the bike, but you get the idea. Actually a convertible in three ways. A stand alone two wheeler, a detachable canoe sidecar to fit on to it or with the different front end a tadpole with the sidecar body now on a two wheeled trailer pulled behind. (The dog has to have her ride). Something to think about. The ultimate geezer 3 in 1 ride. Sigh...
Your dream machine inspires others to dream, too. That's a good thing, my friend, to inspire dreams. It makes the world a better place.
SB"
And this morning...
"Don't mean to highjack your thread, Barely, just want to talk a little about tadpoles, kind of like hanging out while you're working on your project and shooting the breeze about related stuff. The picture is something Fasteddy shared with me as he's gimpy, too, and for that reason we share an interest in sidecars, three wheelers, etc. I don't know where he found it, but I think that bike is just beautiful and can't stop thinking about it. So I'm seeing a panther frame, a five horse Briggs with a kick start, nice cream tires like that and handmade wheels. So while you're lying on the floor turning wrenches give some daydream time to that tadpole front end in the picture and whether or not I'm nuts for thinking of a convertible bike. Some other time we can talk about it maybe.
SB"
So I thought I'd share this with everyone, if nothing else for the cool picture of a three wheeled Indian. If this catches your interest, lets talk about it some. I'm thinking to do a Briggs build over the next year or two as a slow, long term project of my conception of the ultimate bike. I'd like to share ideas about that tadpole front end... suspension, brakes and such.
SB
Love the "hammer head" design, very nice ride.