NEW TYPE OF PISTON MOD ! test to come

GoldenMotor.com

rogergendron1

Sep 18, 2013
woburn ma
new type of piston mod ! well for the china girl lol its actually used quite often on the zenoha model airplain motors and thats where i got the idea.

its a copy of the zenoha Viper piston mod and its basicaly a piston vent drilled in the side that vents the trapped hot gasses from under the piston out into the transfer ports to keeep the piston cool at high rpms and to keep cool fuel and oil flowing over the needle bearings.

video

edit... i talk about jug mods for about 3 min first if you wish to skip to the piston mods

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8QXdkU_glIw

video of the mod !

i would love to get my hands on a zenoah 50 cc or even a 42cc motor !!! those things are built like tanks and handle well over 10,000 rpm all day long all wile pushing out 5 + HP !!!! i have seen 50LB rc monster trucks rip around at 60 MPH

Last edited:
Reactions: WEEDHOPPER

rogergendron1

Sep 18, 2013
woburn ma
here are the pistons from the zenoah for referance, at first it looks like reed valve porting but then you see its at the wrist pin. this is to vent the trapped hot gasses out from under the piston and into the transfer ports to be burnt thus cooling the piston dome and preventing detonation and also oiling the bearing with fresh flowing fuel.

Attachments

rogergendron1

Sep 18, 2013
woburn ma
i am verry interesred in how wel this will work on a china girl !!! I could be onto somethin here for those who run high rpm race motors !

i will post the results here once the motor is together, i plan on running it on a stand first to test everything out before it goes in the bike

Chaz

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver, British Columbia
Wow, this is very interesting stuff. Before I saw the video I thought those pictures might be part of an elaborate joke. I thought you were carving robot faces onto old pistons. Really cool mods. Can't wait to see/hear the results of your tests, Professor.

YesImLDS

Jun 29, 2013
Columbia, Missouri
Roger has always been one to try something a little off to see how it goes. I learned a lot of mods from reading his older posts and surprising to see him still coming up with stuff! I am all for trying it! Tell me how it goes Roger I'll be watching. Seems like extra cooling would be beneficial for bearing life and a gram or so off the piston would help some with balancing as well.

rogergendron1

Sep 18, 2013
woburn ma
i am short on cash now so my gt5 stuffed case has just been sitting there..... but ..... ijust re-enlisted for 6 more years and have a masive bonus comming so ..... lol this motor will be going together rather quickly and be in a sweet bike mabey a fat tire in 60 days or less .... till then i am just going to make a few differant sized base gaskets rangeing from .5mm to 1.5 mm and the same for head gaskets .5mm to 1.5 mm and play around with raising and lowering the port map and dertermaining where i want it to finaly sit in relation to the final squish clearance then seal it all up and figure out what i want to use for an exhaust and what size and type carb i want .

probly something like a modded ktm 50 pipe for a wide power band with a 19mm dellorto

or an arrow style snake pipe fmf fatty knock off with a 16.16 dellorto sha

idk yet

but i do know i am going to get it tunned and then beat the ever loving heck out of it on dirt trails at screamming rpms, going large on the rear sprocket at least a 48-55 tooth its going to be a trail ripper

rogergendron1

Sep 18, 2013
woburn ma
ohh and i know this mod works for shure. i tested it out on an old craftsman weed wacker

i drilled and vented it the verry same way to test it out and i also gave the wacker motor a similar port job trying to as close as possable get results that i think may transfer over to our china girls.

the weed eater friggging ripps lol i have nevver heard an eater rip and rev that fast before lol

i should mention though that the eater jug has open transfer ports and ours are closed ... but i believe there will still be sufisiant vent time as the piston drops past the port for this to be effective, if i find there is not enough port open time to the vent on the down stroke i can take my dremal and lower the transfer port floor opening to the bottom of the vent hole at the bottom of the stoke and increase the vent duration

we will see in a little wile how it goes, ohh and i will go to my moms and post a vid of the weed eater i super modded with this test mod done so you can see it run then strip it down and take picks of the piston itself

actually going to see if i can do it today but it will take a day or two for me to get the vid and picks up so you can see the mod and how it runns on a 40 cc piston port 2 stroke similar to ours

Last edited:

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
Lol... I guess I'm not the only one who soups up weed whackers and chain saws...

I will be paying attention to your piston mod experimenting tho since I'm building a new engine and got my other engine out of the bike now while awaiting frame repairs and mods...

rogergendron1

Sep 18, 2013
woburn ma
Ok guys i went to go take a vid of the weed eater running so we can see how the piston vent mod works on a piston port 2 stroke and the tabs on the pull start broke lol

So now the motor has been pulled from the weed eater and has been bolted to a mount on my work bench.
I mixed uo some gas and tried to get it going but its hard starting and just wont start now.... huh .... hhhmmmm... it started on the second pull before ! Somethinng is up but i am going to get some starter fluid today and check for any air leaks and get it up and running on video, the i will do a tear down and show the piston mod .

Figures lol it ran fine before but now that i wanna do a vid...... lol

I guess it sat for a long time something may have happend to it during the move

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
I was heavily into RC car racing several years ago... Many of those engines have those transfer holes in the pistons.

I looked at trying to do it to a HT piston, but there isn't enough room between the wrist pin & the bottom ring. :(

rogergendron1

Sep 18, 2013
woburn ma
There is ! For about a 3/16 port hole but you must grind by hand for the channel and it just barley passes the bearing boss on the piston

Check the video i have driled and ground one out for use

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
I dunno how much experience Roger has but I do respect him since he's young but intelligent and not afraid to try different things with these engines... Let's see where he goes with this one and if it'll work...

dtv5403

May 4, 2015
USA
I dunno how much experience Roger has but I do respect him since he's young but intelligent and not afraid to try different things with these engines... Let's see where he goes with this one and if it'll work...
My thoughts exactly. If and how well this mod works will prove or disprove everything. Anything else is irrelevant.

Aug 26, 2015
Overgaard AZ
Well good sir how goes it? This mod also seems like it would improve durability on an otherwise stock CG. Better lubrication means longer engine life. Did you ever pursue this venture?