Clutch Roller Upgrade???

GoldenMotor.com

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
These are really easy to make, especially if you have a welder, but the welder isn't mandatory by any means... You just need a screen door roller set from Home Depot, a few nuts and bolts, and a small piece of angle iron.
I'm not sure if anyone's making them to sell but I can show you how I made mine or build you one if you want.

The difference is night and day with a roller in place and it makes the clutch a lot smoother and easier to pull.
I know Arrow Racing uses a different method that eliminates the roller but re routes the cable so it's at a better angle to the clutch arm so the end result is the same... a really smooth and controlable clutch.

Here's a few close ups of mine so you can see how it's built, mine is welded together but they can also be bolted together or you can braze it using a mapp torch...

Hope this helps, and hopefully somebody with the Arrow setup shows pics, theirs is easier to make and works just as good.

CarpsCustoms

Jan 27, 2014
Waterbury, Connecticut
These are really easy to make, especially if you have a welder, but the welder isn't mandatory by any means... You just need a screen door roller set from Home Depot, a few nuts and bolts, and a small piece of angle iron.
I'm not sure if anyone's making them to sell but I can show you how I made mine or build you one if you want.

The difference is night and day with a roller in place and it makes the clutch a lot smoother and easier to pull.
I know Arrow Racing uses a different method that eliminates the roller but re routes the cable so it's at a better angle to the clutch arm so the end result is the same... a really smooth and controlable clutch.

Here's a few close ups of mine so you can see how it's built, mine is welded together but they can also be bolted together or you can braze it using a mapp torch...

Hope this helps, and hopefully somebody with the Arrow setup shows pics, theirs is easier to make and works just as good.

http://s296.photobucket.com/user/brandoncarpenter73/library/?sort=3&page=1

is this the same diameter roller you used? Noo mean to thread jack, its just that I'd like to make my clutch pull easier like you guys aha

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Want to make your clutch easier to pull? There's a little modification you can do that will help, a lot.

Remove the clutch actuator cover, (left side sprocket cover), remove the bucking bar and the cam from the cover. Using a Dremel with a sanding disc, smooth the edges of the end of the bucking bar, rounding it slightly where it contacts the cam. No need to remove much material, just enough to radius the end and smooth the surface.

The cam ramp, or the edge where it begins to press against the bucking bar is usually a sharp edge and rough. Sand that edge off and round it slightly.

I go so far as to polish those contacting parts on my bench buffer making them as smooth as possible. When I'm finished they look like chrome.

Lubricate the parts with a good grade of bearing grease and reassemble.

While things are apart lubricate the clutch cable inside the housing and make sure there are no tight bends or kinks in the cable. I also lubricate the barrel end of the cable at the handlebar lever. Don't zip-tie the cable to the frame or prevent it from flexing as it is designed to do.

If you've installed the small spring that comes in the kit between the end of the cable and the clutch actuating arm, remove and disgard it. It serves no purpose but to increase clutch pull pressure.

Adjust the cable properly and I think you'll find your clutch pulls much easier than before.

All of my clutches can be disengaged with one finger.

Tom

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
That's a cool idea as well... Pretty much just a cable guide going thru a sheet metal bracket? It'll definitely do the job with no moving parts and it does look cool too...

I remember shortly after I made my roller somebody showed me another setup where the cable bracket was mounted so the cable came out pointing straight at the clutch arm which would work just as well, I think that one was on an Arrow race engine... Gotta see if I can find a pic of it because that's one that anyone could make from home,