What is more reliable?

GoldenMotor.com

dthcore

Nov 12, 2013
Arizona
My friend is needing something to get to work. Its 17 miles away from his house. He doesnt have a license. I know some of you will say the best solution is for him to get one.

But hes is trying to decide between a moped or a motorized bicycle. The moped he is looking at is a 1978 Motobecane 50cc 50v Moped. They are selling it for 500.

Now to the question. Will he benefit more from using this moped or buying a 66cc motor kit and installing it to a bike to use as transportation?

Oh, and he is a heavy set dude. 6'1 300 pounds. Solid but still kind of fat.

pino.

Lightning Boy

Apr 19, 2014
Michigan
I'm pretty sure you'd need at least a moped license for either one, but laws vary greatly in different regions. None of my business, anyway.

I would say being a bigger fellow, he might benefit from the stronger rims and tires typically found on mopeds. Not familiar with that particular model, but I wouldn't want to put that much stress on a thin tire and rim.

Personally, I have a license and car- and still choose to ride a motorized BMX as my primary transportation. It's definitely going to be cheaper on plates and insurance by a long shot, a lot of fun, and lots of crazy looks and questions about it regularly.
Also, I've never weighed more than 145 or so in my life. If I was a bigger guy, I'd definitely ride something bigger and reinforced for it.

Theon

Jan 20, 2014
FNQ Australia
$500 should build a nice motorized bike. Where I come from a Moped needs a license, A motorized bike is illegal, unless electric and under 200w.
a 1978 moped doesn't sound all that more reliable than a $500 motorized bike, plus you can peddle, At 300 lb's maybe a little peddling would be good for him?
I'm less than 135 lb's so I have no idea how a bike would stand up to 300, but I'm sure it's been done before.

Sidewinder Jerry

Dec 19, 2011
Rockwood, TN
I recommend mirrors, tachometer to keep from over revving the engine and a speedometer. I prefer wired bicycle computers for the speedometer. The tach/hour counter you can get from Northern Tools or Staton Inc.

Sep 4, 2012
America's Hi-five
my $.02

Running moped to running motorbicycle, the moped wins. It has better brakes, suspension, tires and accessories. Nothing wrong with a 78 as long as parts are available. Much friendlier and less silly looking to a big guy (gorilla on a mini bike). also, it has a variator, which can be nice.

Broken moped to broken motorbicycle, at least you still have a bike.

for a 17 mile journey every day to work... I'd do the moped. but I have a license.
Idk what they are worth around you, but that would be a good deal on a running moped of nearly any sort out here.

If I didn't have a license and could legally ride a motorbicycle I'd do that. Wouldn't want to make it harder to get it back getting busted.

Of course, If he buys a bike kit there is potential he could sell it to you cheap down the road...

Last edited:

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Reliable transportation for 34 mile round trip rides everyday I'd go moped....

Motorized bicycles can be pretty reliable if built right but the moped is a much stronger platform.

Map

greaser_monkey_87

Mar 30, 2014
USA
I'm voting for the moped. Can't build a motorized bike as strong as the moped for under $500. The engine, even being a 1978, is likely to be more reliable as well. It's not our place to judge the man's weight or suggest that pedaling is better than motoring for a man his size. The only way that his weight plays into this discussion is to suggest what motor might carry his weight better. Buying the moped, he doesn't have a choice of motor except as a possible replacement. It's not our place to judge anyone's physical appearance, nor to suggest that they modify it. It simply has nothing to do with the hobby. I suggest he buy the moped because it is going to be the stronger option and he doesn't have to tinker with it before driving it 34 miles round trip.

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
...It's not our place to judge the man's weight or suggest that pedaling is better than motoring for a man his size. The only way that his weight plays into this discussion is to suggest what motor might carry his weight better. It's not our place to judge anyone's physical appearance, nor to suggest that they modify it. It simply has nothing to do with the hobby.
No one has even hinted at the above - there are valid points to be raised concerning wheel integrity & engine capability with heavier then average riders, but that's all that's been said.

People aren't being judgmental, clearly they're only trying to help.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
I'd have to suggest a moped as well. If it is yer buddy's first MB build and under $500, gonna be some lessons learned and some part failures. For cummuting and when you absolutly need em, thats when things go wrong. Is a law or some thing. Also, with that long a ride every day, full suspension is almost a most. Especially for a larger person. Lights and a horn are really great things that would need to be added for safety. (opptional)
Adding to build costs.

All around and IMVH, a moped is designed for this. Where a bicycle with a motor is more then capible but I think a moped is much better suited.

Just a thought.

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
Much as I love My Pig, I'd go with the moped as well.
Bosses don't care WHY you were late, and a motorbike is just too finicky for such a critical use considering the possible consequences of a minor breakdown (which WILL happen)
The moped will be more likely to get you there on any given day.