Yeah Baby! Got that motor runnin!

GoldenMotor.com

Sign Guy

Jan 19, 2010
Everett, WA
After some clutch help from Homer I got the bike running tonight for it's maiden voyage. I took it out front and hit 21 without it even breaking a sweat! However... There is a slight clunk in I think the rear drive area that is really random so I'll look at that tomorrow in the daylight along with a bearing for the clutch since mine was missing.
dance1

Brian in Everett

Sign Guy

Jan 19, 2010
Everett, WA
First off I'm fairly pleased with what I've got - a moped that looks like it can cruise at 22 mph most of the time without breaking a sweat. I purchased the 80/66 cc model from BoysGoFast off eBay. For the $150 I've got into this project (some things have been upgraded ) what more can you ask for?

I am disappointed that it basically tops out at 25 on the flat and level. (FYI - the tach was at 5550 rpm at 25 mph.) It needed a little bit of help going up some really steep hills but that's fine, I didn't have to pedal much and the engines bogging down eased up immensely while I didn't have to work hard at all. Usually going up those hills I have to drop down to first and really crank to get up them and now it will be with ease.

Now my buddy has a Honda Metropolitan 49cc (4 stroke) that will top out at 43 mph and my goal was to at least match him so I have some work to do. I really wanted to do it under $200 to his $2400 especially since my motor is 66cc and a 2 stroke, but it looks like I'll need to just chill. Another goal is to hit at least 35 so I will not impede traffic and that does look attainable with a few mods, so let the party begin.

The clutch did not have a little bearing inside and it looks like I need a 5/16" or so. I called all over and could only find places that would sell me a box of 65 for $12. I called a bicycle shop and they had a 1/4" for 4 cents so I picked up a couple and gave it a shot. It worked fine. I'll continue to try and find a larger one but for now this will work. After some adjustments I got it to idle 2200-2400 RPM which seems a tad high so I'll do more research on that speed. More clutch adjustment is necessary but it at least works now.

I tried the choke and for me it doesn't do anything except make the engine NOT start. I leave it off and the bike seems to fire up quickly and run pretty decent in 20 seconds. Anyone use the choke? Bueller?

Chain issue - loose and slapping around, so I took some more links out and then it was so tight I could hardly put the master link in. Once I got that on and ran it around the block it loosened up some more and the tensioner was installed. I had to turn it around to get the alignment right and now no clunking, chain is fairly tight (little play) and all seems good.

I am not using the stock gas tank, a 1 gallon regular plastic tank its in the milk crate on the back rack that I carry my stuff in for commuting and will be basically hidden and the motor will be mostly covered up with my legs in the pedal position so it will be quite stealthy which is another goal. Looking good Winthorp ;-) I'll post more picts of the project maybe later today when I get home.

After about 1/2 hr of ridding around the hood, I'll do a couple more 1/2 hr rides to make sure it's up to the task and put it into commuting service. Sorry to bore you, thanks again for everyone's help. :)

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Glad ya got to go fer a vroom FTW, but remember it takes a while for these things to break in and reach their full potential (anywhere from 100-300 miles for break in) - usually an average 30mph-ish (bone stock) is to be expected when that's sorted.

They're all also known to run on the rich side of things so it's no surprise that your choke is ineffective - have you checked the plug coloration? Beyond making sure it's not one extreme or the other I would suggest leaving off worrying if it's not "perfect" until the motor is broken in for that as well tho - it really is like a different motor lol

Sign Guy

Jan 19, 2010
Everett, WA
Thanks for the tip on break-in, I'll keep my shorts on ;-) I've only put about 6.5 miles on so I'll start cranking those miles out and try to get 100+ miles on in the next 2 weeks if possible and watch for the changes. It's supposed to go back to raining and cooler weather so I'm not to jazzed about riding in that, but ya gotta do what ya gotta do.... I'll report back as time & mileage progresses.

Sign Guy

Jan 19, 2010
Everett, WA
That back sprocket was a total PITA. I laid the wheel down on it's side, then set the sprocket on it. There were 2 sets of spokes side by side that aligned with 2 adjacent holes. I rotated, flipped, hopped on 1 foot, you name it but somehow got 8 of the 9 bolts through it and the 2 tire grommets. The last bolt would not go through unless I removed 2 spokes. I finally ended up drilling a new hole in the sprocket about a 1/4"-3/8" further out from the hole and bolted it together. I later measured the distance from the spokes to the sprocket at the bolt area. Make sure the distance is the same all the way around the sprocket and you'll be fine.

I put 18.5 miles on the bike this afternoon. I had a few issues with gas can I'm using (it needs a pin hole for ventilation) as I starved the engine for fuel a few times till I figured out the issue. Later I ran into rain, then ran out of gas, and finally overfilled the gas tank. Oh well... I had fun.

Tad Bit Tipsy

Jan 2, 2010
Pensacola,FL
Sounds like fun. And just wait that motor will come into its own once you break it in. I went from 16:1 pure oil for 1.5 gallons, to 20:1 synthetic for 2.5 gallons, and now put synthetic in at 32:1 and it screams all the way to 40+mph. Just remember if you baby it too much at first it won't hold up to tearing it up later. Just floor it once you get that first gallon through it and it will never disappoint you later when you want to haul A**.

Sign Guy

Jan 19, 2010
Everett, WA
Thanks for the inspiration tipsy.

Baby it! Shoot I've had that thing wound out with the 16:1 mix for the first half gallon and now I've got some synthetic in it and will be working it overtime tomorrow when I get home from work. I did hit 26 - 27 mph today and saw the rpm hit a tad over 6000. I don't know how high these things rev but it is reving higher already and that's after about 25 miles total on the engine and 1.5 hrs. .wee.

Tad Bit Tipsy

Jan 2, 2010
Pensacola,FL
Ha! your just like me, Its hard not to just gun it every time I take off. I feel like River Phoenix in Signs, you know "Swing Away"... feels wrong not to speed away in a cloud of smoke...