To all of those that have drilled their own jets

GoldenMotor.com

spit_fire

Aug 28, 2009
Brampton
my bike left me stranded on a 30mph+ trip luckly i was on my way home and about 7mph to go when i creeped up to the lights and with no heads up the pig jus died, of course dreading the long peddle home i must have peddle maybe 1/3 of a mile with the engine engaged hoping it would start, tried all the trick a bit of throtle no throtle choke on/off(cant put it in the midle its a delloroto and just snaps closed or open) with no such luck after about 3 mph of peddling dead tired at this point my buddies happen to drive by and saw me realized i dont normaly peddle so they pulled over and gave me a lift, when i got home i took out the plug wich was soaked check for spark wich was there I dried out the engine and plug put it back in tried to fire it up and nothing, i took out the plug again it was soaked so i decided to make the gap very small and succes the bike fired up although the whole exhaust system (sbp piep in the down position) smoked like a chimeney and it was backfiring shooting flames out the tail pipe like crayze im asuming this is becouse of a possible puddle of gas inside the expansion chamber now finally my question is...... is it possible the gas has eaten threw the solder in the jet ( i soldered and redrilled my jet) gave out and im running really really rich or could of my cdi have possibly lost some power but not completly die ??? has anyone had such issues with their bike that have had the jets soldered and redrilled, the bike ran perfect for the last 2 months and even on this trip it ran great untill it died and wouldnt fire back up :-||

Last edited:

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
Soldering & redrilling the jet wouldn't cause it to flood the engine like that, because you never made the jet bigger than stock. (unless you screwed up & drilled it bigger first?)
I would look into the carb & make sure everything inside is working properly, & then I would look into the electrical system to be sure it's making a strong spark.

Last edited:

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
I also solder and drill my jets have never had any problem with fuel eating the solder.
You could check the jet see if its changed in size , if you think the gas ate it?
I'd be more inclined to think your float stuck and flooded the engine.
Or a short in the wiring killing the ignition.

I did have the float stick and caused it to flood.
something I thought of later is your spark plug might have fowled out speck of carbon between the electrodes just enough to short it out.

Last edited:

stv1jzgte

Feb 11, 2009
australia
Just a theory, my bike recenty did pretty much the same thing i tried everything but it wouldnt fire. turned out to be a puddle of 2 stroke oil in the crankcase. I usually run 32:1 mix now im useing 40:1 and better oil. all's good now

spit_fire

Aug 28, 2009
Brampton
so if lets day theres gas inside the crank case any way of getting it out without having to take the motor apart or shaking it upside down could it just burn it off with time?

Riding Rich

Aug 14, 2009
pa
I've noticed from putting oil in the crankcase that whatever is in there gets sucked up through the transfers.
It should be pretty oily in there everything should be coated.
Peddeling alot without the engine firing would definatly flood it out.

It's good to have a little oil in the crankcase but if there is too much it'll blow into the cylinder and fill the exhaust.

professor

Oct 14, 2009
Buffalo ny area
When I get an engine flooded (2stroke) and I know it- I spin the engine over without the plug in and preferrably with the fuel shut off. You will see gas and air shooting out as you spin. Then, after it clears, try a new plug.
By the way, fuel has no effect on solder -here is a tip on jet drilling- chuck up the JET in the hand drill and clamp the drill bit in a vise. Go in slowly at fast rpm.

spit_fire

Aug 28, 2009
Brampton
srry for the missunderstanding i came home that night took the plug out stuck a propane torch in the cyclinder to burn averything out and also used it to dry the plug put the plug back in and it didint work but then i tried it again but this time made the plug gap very small i mean so small u can hardly call it a gap and it fired right up and it ran,it still ran today i rode it to work and back but it runs like a heap of s*hit i guess i should try to make the gap bigger again c if shel run, ohh and it back fires alot although ive come to the conclusion that i havent blown threw the solder in the jet as i still need to use the choke to start the bike were as before i soldered and redrilled the jet smaller i wouldnt have to cuz it ran so rich so im leaning toward the coil but now im wondering can the coil all of a sudden get weak but still work i thought they either work or they dont???

Last edited:

Outrunner

Dec 27, 2008
Atlanta, Georgia
I had a problem with my bike a couple of months ago, when it was hard to start and ran very rough. I thought it was a bad spark plug or wire, but after an hour or two of checking things out, I discovered that the four bolts that hold down the magneto had become loose inside the cover, and allowing the mag to wobble around. That was all it was! Take a quick look at your magneto bolts. Another clue would be that you reduced the plug gap to make it fire. That's an indication of a weak spark coming from either your mag, CDI unit or bad plug wire, Take a close look at your plug wire connection to the spark plug.

Maxvision

Jun 13, 2009
San Diego, CA
Did you drop your carburetor bowl and check your float and the needle valve? Sounds like you might have some gunk on the needle valve and gas is just pouring into your engine.

spit_fire

Aug 28, 2009
Brampton
unfortunetly my carb doesnt have the needle valve i have a dellortoto sha 16.16 i believe and the only way to control the flow of the gas is threw the size of the jet, other than that i figured out my problem or at least wut i think was the problem, about 3 weeks prior to this incident i bought a Flow and Go wich you hook up to your gas can and you can pump gas into your bike instead of having to lift the can use a funnel and all the fun stuff its alot easier, problem was it siphens gas from the bottom of the canister (4 gallon tank) and i had done my mix when i installed this thing and havent bothered moving the can never mind shaking it so my guess is when i filled up for my long trip i sucked more oil than i should have as maybe the gas/oil mixture had seperated a bit and being full throtle for about 25mph or so i guess alot of the oil sat in the crankcase and eventually soaked the plug and i had no spark that is the only theory i could come up with as there was nothing wrong with the air/fuel mixture or ignition it just simply died and refused to fire back up but was fine after taking out the plug, airing out the motor and cleaning the plug, amyone else ever experience such problem???

Last edited: