Ist Build Partially done In Mpls MN

GoldenMotor.com

ZipTie

Jan 8, 2016
Mpls Mn
Hello from Minnesota. I joined this forum a bit late as I am almost done with my first build that was laced with many small battles along the way. I built on the Gt2A Skyhawk platform with the built in gas tank. I love the general look of the bike a lot but it sure isn't a standard bike frame and for a newbie bike builder I ended up buying a few parts that did not fit it. Eventually I got the main stuff working as a bike and then had it powder coated candy apple metallic red...added the engine, exhaust etc. I Used a donor bike for the wheels, tires and a few other parts as a short cut. I need front brake( somehow?) This one wont get a ton of use as I plan on building a more practical build this winter for riding this summer. You guys who live in a warm climate have my envy. Its ready to start but the slippery glare ice outside on my driveway and street wont allow me to test it out...so I will most likely have to wait till March to even see if anything works.

I went with a retro look, but it pales in comparison to other vintage builds I've seen on the forum, but it suits me fine for now until I feel up to taking on a major build. Ill build one more themed bike this winter on the Skyhawk style frame as I feel I can do it with much less time and redo's. Ill try to post a picture or two( when the forum lets me ) I thank the forum members for all the info gleamed and look forward to contributing back more than I took.

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
Welcome aboard,Brainerd here. Glad you got it all straightened out and ready for spring ride. .....................Curt

ZipTie

Jan 8, 2016
Mpls Mn
Thanks Curt, Spring seems a bit out but maybe we will get a thaw, weathers been odd here. Still not 100 percent sure Minnesota is a MB friendly state, but in reading the statues, looks like they are... still seems like a grey area on a Gt2a frame that resembles a Motorcycle with pedals. Any bad experiences?

Attachments

ZipTie

Jan 8, 2016
Mpls Mn
Thanks skitch, I'll post some non potato quality pictures in the cruiser section tomorrow with a bunch of tribulations coupled with some close ups. It looks pretty good. But other guys have done amazing gearing and brake systems.
- I wish the moderators would add a Gt2a style frame builds section as these builds really do not fit the boardtrack category either and the building of these is challenging in many ways for a guy like me. But could be easier. As example/ Just finding a straight course thread fuel petcock took a month as no one lists parts that will fit the frames they are selling. I find the frames unique looking and are a canvas that has not been exploited fully yet by the average builder. The head tube was a nightmare solved only by parts from 3 suppliers and I still needed to steal a part off a huffy donor bike to get it correct. Even the fuel cap provided doesnt come close to fitting and had to even change the cap seal. Yikes... Then to top it all off aparently there are knockoffs...that have some differences. Again, these frames builds badly need their very own section in this forum. .shft.

skitchfish

Oct 27, 2010
Michigan
Zip,

That's what's so cool about your bike, is that it's hard to tell that it is a china GT. You did a ton of finish work and it doesn't have that tear drop guppy bowl looking tank with the unsightly giant swirly weld.

I think maybe the guys in charge may listen to you about having a china gt section as there seems to be plenty of them. I never thought about them not being plug and play but i guess all i have to do is think of the motor problems we have.

A vintage generator drum brake would fit the bill of that baby.

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
Really nice looking bike Zip. Do you see any bike riding around there? There a few here although i don't see to many, people tell me they see um...............Curt

langolier

Jul 6, 2015
Wisconsin
Hey Zip, 1st build or 15th excellent job ! A build from the frame up can be a challenging one especially if it's your first, Ask me how I know. Just remember getting there is half the fun. Need to be patient when breaking in (making adjustments and tuning) also. But the final result can be rewarding. Can't tell you how much interest and questions you will get tooling around on these. Yours will draw many. Was a little worried how the local police would react luckily they don't seem bothered by it. I think if your not being an idiot on it for the most part they won't bother, good luck.

http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=59349

Last edited:

ZipTie

Jan 8, 2016
Mpls Mn
Zip,

That's what's so cool about your bike, is that it's hard to tell that it is a china GT. You did a ton of finish work and it doesn't have that tear drop guppy bowl looking tank with the unsightly giant swirly weld.

I think maybe the guys in charge may listen to you about having a china gt section as there seems to be plenty of them. I never thought about them not being plug and play but i guess all i have to do is think of the motor problems we have.

A vintage Cwould fit the bill of that baby.
Hey Skitch, Thanks again. If I could find a spoke lacer around here that drum brake would be sweet. I could shave while I ride. Yes, I've only seen only few guys paint and finish these slightly unsightly...whirly aluminum goldfish cracker, tear drop, guppy bowl, shark head frames... too funny man... (I almost choked on my own tongue) when I read your creative description of these very odd looking raw frames.
( I added to your DESCPITION A BIT) What's cool is the powder coat guys has to only bead blast it to get a perfect smooth end finish. The thick finish of A 2 layer powder coating covers "ALL" the swirly and odd metal "WTH" finish.
They for sure are not plug and play, but could be, if the knowledge was in one place so people could order parts with confidence that would work in harmony with each other. The vendors sure don't help much in that dept., they expect you to be a caliper wielding crazed parts telepath. They sell the frames and you are on your own for the most part with all the tidbits... That will change hopefully. If a Section is added it will be a huge help. I think the more of these finished properly folks will see all the possibilities for a cool build canvas with all the bells and whistles, not just wheels and a motor. But true complete show bikes that turn heads and cost under 800.00 to build. I even have working turn signals...complete with a stitched leather wrapped (Starbucks) coffee holder...chrome fenders, custom working headlight and tail lite, fully chain guarded on both sides... LOL. My little Indian tribute motorbike as it sits must not weigh 50 pounds and that is a super light weight motorbike my friend. Parked next to my wide 1800cc Victory jackpot... its a thin wafer. I can carry it easy under one arm..shft.

ZipTie

Jan 8, 2016
Mpls Mn
Really nice looking bike Zip. Do you see any bike riding around there? There a few here although i don't see to many, people tell me they see um...............Curt
Thanks Curtis...I've never seen anyone...ever! I didn't know these things even existed until one day I stumbled upon the kits on ebay. That's why I am worried the cops wont be familiar with them and Ill end up in a German prison. Ill keep the confusing statues in my tool bag, that will really make em' mad and they will ship me to Cuba. The problem is now all my friends and my son want one and want to build it in my garage utilizing all my invaluable newbie experience.zpt

ZipTie

Jan 8, 2016
Mpls Mn
Hey Zip, 1st build or 15th excellent job ! A build from the frame up can be a challenging one especially if it's your first, Ask me how I know. Just remember getting there is half the fun. Need to be patient when breaking in (making adjustments and tuning) also. But the final result can be rewarding. Can't tell you how much interest and questions you will get tooling around on these. Yours will draw many. Was a little worried how the local police would react luckily they don't seem bothered by it. I think if your not being an idiot on it for the most part they won't bother, good luck.

http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=59349
Thanks much , I love it too. I agree 100 percent, Ill go slow and quite and fly under the radar, Ill also keep the law on these in the tool bag and say sir a lot should I get stopped and should be good. There is literally non of these up here in the arctic. I do want to see what can be done with a steel Cranbrook frame too just for everyday use, for 89.00 bucks one cant go wrong really.

Attachments

Last edited:

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
And your garage space LOL. They are prolly around just that you are not in the same place. They are legal as long as same specks as moped 50cc 2 hp or less,and keep the pedals. I had one when i was a kid and am getting ready to do another,working on parts for now,gas tank head light and all the small stuff till my shop gets cleaned. Funny been out in LA a few times and as big as it is only see one now and then, but a lot of members on the forum...................Curt

ZipTie

Jan 8, 2016
Mpls Mn
I wanted one as a kid too, The old friction drive type advertised in the back of comic books or popular mechanics. I saved my money for a year and bought a yellow 70cc Yamaha mini Enduro with a 5 speed tranny and I was in heaven. My parents never saw me again and my tires only touched down on occasion as I was airborn 90 percent of the time. Those were the days. Its ok if they want to build one over here but they gotta put the tools back where they found them... yea right LOL

Attachments

Last edited:

ZipTie

Jan 8, 2016
Mpls Mn
And your garage space LOL. They are prolly around just that you are not in the same place. They are legal as long as same specks as moped 50cc 2 hp or less,and keep the pedals. I had one when i was a kid and am getting ready to do another,working on parts for now,gas tank head light and all the small stuff till my shop gets cleaned. Funny been out in LA a few times and as big as it is only see one now and then, but a lot of members on the forum...................Curt
On that note: Get that dang shop cleaned ! Curt it will be spring before U know it. Me has a feeling that as the economy here in the US slowly turns third World these will be one of our main form of transportation...Just kidding...but kind of serious... a trend I see coming in the not so distant future...MB will continue to grow at any rate as our collective disposable incomes drops. laff

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
Yep its getting there. I think you are referring to the "bike Machine Motor"featured in all the books back in the 60's. I have one i picked up a few years ago, and that is what give me a kick in the but. Put it on a bike and that's all it took, hopefully have that going again this spring. When i was a kid about 55 years ago i had a Monark factory twin motor bike, about the same as Whizzer only twin motor and different clutch. Road that all the time for a few years till the motor went. Sold the rest of parts then a year later built a home made one, then traded it for a model A four door sedan. ...............Curt

Sam90lx

Sep 29, 2015
Ventura CA
Hey Skitch, Thanks again. If I could find a spoke lacer around here that drum brake would be sweet. I could shave while I ride. Yes, I've only seen only few guys paint and finish these slightly unsightly...whirly aluminum goldfish cracker, tear drop, guppy bowl, shark head frames... too funny man... (I almost choked on my own tongue) when I read your creative description of these very odd looking raw frames.
( I added to your DESCPITION A BIT) What's cool is the powder coat guys has to only bead blast it to get a perfect smooth end finish. The thick finish of A 2 layer powder coating covers "ALL" the swirly and odd metal "WTH" finish.
They for sure are not plug and play, but could be, if the knowledge was in one place so people could order parts with confidence that would work in harmony with each other. The vendors sure don't help much in that dept., they expect you to be a caliper wielding crazed parts telepath. They sell the frames and you are on your own for the most part with all the tidbits... That will change hopefully. If a Section is added it will be a huge help. I think the more of these finished properly folks will see all the possibilities for a cool build canvas with all the bells and whistles, not just wheels and a motor. But true complete show bikes that turn heads and cost under 800.00 to build. I even have working turn signals...complete with a stitched leather wrapped (Starbucks) coffee holder...chrome fenders, custom working headlight and tail lite, fully chain guarded on both sides... LOL. My little Indian tribute motorbike as it sits must not weigh 50 pounds and that is a super light weight motorbike my friend. Parked next to my wide 1800cc Victory jackpot... its a thin wafer. I can carry it easy under one arm..shft.
I agree, would be nice to have a separate section. I picked one of these frames up a few months ago.