What is the best place to get a 4 stroke kit?

GoldenMotor.com
Jul 5, 2015
Santa Barbara, CA
So I'm going to be building a 4 stroke bike for a friend, and i was wondering where is a good place to get a decent quality 4 stroke kit that will not be too hard to operate, because my friend is not a gearhead like i am. Obviously i will be able to service it for him, but i want it to be able to go some time without any major adjustments, unlike the 2 stroke bikes that i have which require something to be adjusted almost every time i ride. I checked out the dax 4 strokes, but they seemed a little pricey. This will also be my first 4 stroke build, so any advice would be appreciated.
And i'm not even sure where to post this! Should i post it here, in Pre Motorized bike info, or in Swap and Shop for the question about which dealer to buy from? If this is the wrong section and a moderator has to move it sorry and thanks in advance!

Agreen

Feb 10, 2013
Southeastern GA
I really have no input on where to buy one from, but if I were to build a 4 stroke bike for someone else, I would definitely be concerned with reliability. One of the 79cc predator engines would make a great candidate for that purpose. They seem fairly reliable to me. I do keep looking at huasheng engines, but I've seen some disasters from those things that kind of scare me away.

Having no experience first hand with using a 4 stroke bicycle kit, I really don't have a leg to stand on when I say this. I have, however, been investigating the same thing for the same reason, and all roads seem to point to the HF 79.

Jul 5, 2015
Santa Barbara, CA
Thanks for the input about the HF 79cc, but i was looking for a kit which comes with most of the things that i would need to get it up and running, the most important to me being the attachment to the frame, since i don't yet have a welder. Is the HF 79cc fairly straightforward to attach to a bike frame without a welder? And if i built a bike without a kit i wouldn't want to give it to someone else! So if i do end up using a HF 79cc in a bike i will probably have to build one for myself before building one for my friend.

Jul 5, 2015
Santa Barbara, CA
BoardtrackTank, that is a really nice looking bike! If i bought a kit without the engine would it attach to a HF 79cc? Would the Qmatic drive attach easily to the HF? I have never built or even seen a 4 stroke bike in real life, only looked at pics of them, so sorry if that is a stupid question.

Jan 21, 2015
Portland, Oregon
Thanks for the input about the HF 79cc, but i was looking for a kit which comes with most of the things that i would need to get it up and running, the most important to me being the attachment to the frame, since i don't yet have a welder. Is the HF 79cc fairly straightforward to attach to a bike frame without a welder? And if i built a bike without a kit i wouldn't want to give it to someone else! So if i do end up using a HF 79cc in a bike i will probably have to build one for myself before building one for my friend.
I have a welder, but I didn't use it to attach my 79cc predator to my frame... http://imgur.com/hd49xMh

Pop rivets, weldable steel, and 3/8" threaded rod.

BTW the 79cc predator is a fairly straightforward build, pretty easy to do. I'd say the hardest part for me was waiting for the parts to arrive :)

Dec 11, 2014
Tucson
This is my friends web store. http://umotobikes.com/ I do almost all of my 2 stroke builds with his 66cc and I think they are one of the best. I am going to be building the performance 2 stroke motors for the site, he works hard with the factory and tries to offer very good kits.
He has 2 good examples of the Huasheng 4 stroke kits. I am with you on the kit build but if the bike has room the HF79cc is probably a pretty bomb proof motor. I think one short cut might be the build kit minus motor on gasbike.net and one of their 4 stroke bolt on mounts. That leaves the transmission. Affordable go karts web store might have the answer, or pedal it up to about 30 and run a straight centrifugal clutch?

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
If i bought a kit without the engine would it attach to a HF 79cc?
Would the Qmatic drive attach easily to the HF?
I have never built or even seen a 4 stroke bike in real life, only looked at pics of them, so sorry if that is a stupid question.
I suggest you just go with a quality ~50cc 4-stroke kit.
It has everything you need to motorize, less than a 79cc Pred once you buy the other things like a $300 transfer case, tank, throttle, exhaust, and you don't need to fabricate anything.

I built a couple 79cc preds, not what I would recommend for a rookie's first build.