First 1,000 miles

GoldenMotor.com

Msiert

Sep 19, 2014
Omaha NE.
Bought a Phantom Bike Kit that I received at the end of September in 2014. I completed the kit and started riding it by mid Oct. Rode it all through the winter when the roads were dry to check on my 93 yr old Mom and Day which is approx a 14.2 mile round trip from my house. My average was 3 to 4 trips a week.

Learned a lot putting the kit together and learning how to maintain a motorized bicycle. Durning January I took advantage of some down time after the snow storms and added a horn, a battery to run it and added a rear flasher and tail light.

Durning the winter months I learned how to dress to stay warm and found routes that made my commute to the folks shorter, quicker and safer.

There was improvements done to personalize the bike like moving the front hand brake lever from the right to the left side so my right hand didn't have to brake and work the throttle, a ball bearing throttle grip, a mirror, new kill switch and added a rear rack for a pannier so I didn't have to lug everything in a back pack.

I also found the motorized bike is a great workout. I use the peddles to maintain my speed up hills and to give the motor a shot of extra HP from time to time. My legs are difinitely getting much stronger!

But the best part of the experience was finding how much cheaper this sport is then any other hobby/sport I have been involved with in my life time.

Attachments

Last edited:

Msiert

Sep 19, 2014
Omaha NE.
Here a picture of the bike next to a creek with the pannier on. I use the pannier on all my rides. I have found that I am always peeling layers of clothing off as the day gets warmer and I carry a small amount of tools and locks for when I park it.

The green color of the bike changes depending on the light as you can tell between this picture and the one on the lake pier in the picture before.

Both pictures were taken in the same ride. The creek is the half point there and the lake is 1 mile from the Mom's and Dad's apartment.

Attachments

Last edited:

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK
Great look'n bike! And you're certainly correct about the $$ aspect of the hobby -- you can spend as little or as much as you'd like in customizing your ride.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Congratulations on that first 1K.
And your bike is a looker, for sure. Fine machine. And you're certainly right about the cost of this hobby especially when you factor in the return on your investment in terms of enjoyment.

Thanks for sharing your bike and story with us. Have fun and ride safe.

Tom