Greetings from the BikeBug

GoldenMotor.com

gianni1

Nov 14, 2008
Bag End, Hobbiton, England, UK
Howdy folks from the sunny English Shires. Just collected my BikeBug, and now I gotta fit it to my bike. Never been run, it's new in box, but has been sitting for decades. I'm a newbie with small engines. Gotta sort out the mounting it and getting the engine running. - bit cold and windy around here now, so won't be rushing into things....

Gianni :ride2:

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
BikeBug! Nice! I had one. They go on ther bike in about 30 minutes. Smooth. Top speed of around 23 mph.

Please don't fall for the guy in Texas who won't sell you anything unless you buy his "info package" for 20 dollars. All the knowledge you need is free.

gianni1

Nov 14, 2008
Bag End, Hobbiton, England, UK
Very nice to meet you all. I'll begin posting some questions around the forums. I was going to go for an electric motor, but the high cost and problems with batteries turned me into a petrol head. Might electrify myself eventually. My plan is to use the BikeBug on my nine mile commute (each way) to work. I'm lucky it's an official London Bike Route most of the way.

The cold wet weather is the main problem besides being a newbie! I won't have a bike shed / garage till next summer so either the engine stays outdoors all winter, or indoors without using it. Don't want to stink up the indoor with exhaust fumes. Too bad it's not a Desiel, then I could fill it with Rapeseed or Penut Oil.

Gianni (North West London Sticks) :ride:

jasonh

Jun 23, 2008
Longmont, CO
It's partly crappy here with a chance of depression....and snowing!

I love my snowblower.
Well it's only snowed once this season so far...and I didn't even need a snow shovel...just a scraper and brush for the car windows. This is my first full winter living somewhere that it snows...still waiting on the snow...

My wife won't let me have a snowblower :(

TexasDav

Aug 19, 2008
Houston
Well it's only snowed once this season so far...and I didn't even need a snow shovel...just a scraper and brush for the car windows. This is my first full winter living somewhere that it snows...still waiting on the snow...

My wife won't let me have a snowblower :(
She knows you would pull the motor off the snowblower and build another motorbike:)

toytime

Mar 20, 2008
Ontario
23 mph? I'm surprised at that because I have one but only used it one time because it was way to slow. Hmmm, I wonder if it's because I made the diaphram in the carb out of a larger one that I found. Can Bikeguyjoe get me a few fuel related parts? I figured I would just keep it until I came across the lower unit that was used to turn them into a outboard boat motor. I am missing most of the rubber parts that go from the gas tank to the carb. It's a very simple easy to install kit!

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
You could be going slower than 23 for a lot of reasons.
I can't get you parts, but they are available. It's a Tanaka engine.

The check ball valve can be made with a large model airplane fuel filter, taken apart, install a screen, and a ball bearing and voila! instant check ball.

toytime

Mar 20, 2008
Ontario
Thanks Joe. Yes you are right about many things "causing the problems". I'm sure that it is my home made diaphragm because I found a bigger one and cut it with a knife. It is very tiny and has holes that I tried to cut out as best I could. Also I believe that the part dose the pumping should have had a little pocket or bubble shape to it and mine is just flat.
The way I set it up was to mount my happy time gas tank on my handle bars so that it sat above the engine. The thing is that the return line would fill up the original gas tank with the gas from upper tank and I would have to dump that back into the upper tank.
I was just seeing if it would work but as I said , I gave up within an hour of use. I found that guy that makes you buy a book and was turned off by the whole thing. Is he the only guy with parts?

NEAT TIMES

May 28, 2008
PENSACOLA, FL
Jasonh, Your Wife Won`t Let You Buy Snow Blower Because Of The Cost! In Co. Don`t You Need The Blower That Mounts On The Front Of A Train Locomotive, For The 15 Foot Drifts??rotfl