copper muffler pipe question

GoldenMotor.com

spillers

Oct 18, 2008
va
Hello,
Im new here.
I recently purchased a new muffler for my motorized bike and it didnt fit.
I will have to make my own manifold pipe. Ive noticed a lot of people use copper pipe. My question is this: What are you soldering it with? Plumbers solder? Brazing? What? Id rather use low temp plumbers solder but want to make sure it will hold up and the exhaust gas temp wont soften/melt it, otherwise, I'll braze it. What do you all do?

Thanks
Ron

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
silver solder might hold, best bet is to braze it or weld it. the pipe can reach a temp of about 1200 F solder melts at about 400F To bad your not here I was going to start on making a pipe today from scratch it will have a muffler can on the end of the pipe and fit under the bikes cranks. I have one already made and it seems to work good.I can 't post any pictures the old snake took the camera to MO. to see my grand baby.
Norman

Last edited:

spillers

Oct 18, 2008
va
Okay, thanks, that's what I figured.
I'm gonna braze it. I just wanted to see what you all did, cause 400 degrees solder seemed way too low. I just wanted to check before I went to town on it.
Good luck with your exhaust.

Spillers

Pablo

Master Bike Builder & Forum Sponsor
Dec 28, 2007
Duvall, WA PNW
www.sickbikeparts.com
Ron - Jim and mine are "press" fit, then we slip some silicone sleeving over the joints with two retention springs and the tubing it holds up well and is still adjustable. OTOH brazing will hold up well and be more "permanent".

spillers

Oct 18, 2008
va
interesting idea with the sleeves.
I welded/brazed/silver soldered my contraption up last weekend. Looks rough. works great! Basically, braze tacked it, ran out of oxygen, used silver solder until the mapp ran out, and then mig welded the rest Even tried to mig weld metal to copper. Didnt work too well, go figure, but the grapes are beautiful. And the engine runs wonderful.

tecker

May 31, 2008
whats the purpose of useing copper for heat exchange or what I watched occ the other day and they were putting pipes lined with ceramic they would cool to touch in 30 seconds that would be great for one of are bikes

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
I just rode the bike with the JB Weld and it holds up fine where the extension comes out of the bottom of the muffler.

Copper would be a lot easier to bend than aluminum, but I think it's more expensive.