Bicycle Enjenn

GoldenMotor.com

enjenn

Feb 15, 2012
everywhere
Hello. As are other in this section of the forum, I am new! I have not purchased a motor yet. I am still in the research phase. I have never owned one before. I am not a wrench turner as a trade or hobby, but I am not afraid to. I have done simple repairs on my vehicles, fluid and filter changes, tune ups, water pump replacement, wheel bearing/hub replacement, ball joint replacement, etc. I am not an engine person/gear head by any means.

I had a chinese scooter once and it was a complete nightmare. I rarely rode it because I was afraid it would leave me stranded out in the middle of nowhere. That's the closest that I have come to owning a motorized bicycle.

I have lots of questions that I hope you can help with.

Thanks for reading!

Cheers,
Jenn

enjenn

Feb 15, 2012
everywhere
Thanks for your reply. That's what I am thinking, but I am pretty undecided. The quality control of the Chinese motors scares me a bit. I have been reading and looking at pictures of them for the last few days. Yikes. I do not mind doing maintenance but the thought of purchasing something that is destined to fail because I was unlucky and got one of the really bad ones isn't something that sits very well with me.

However, the price tag of a Honda kit is a lot more than I would like to pay as I am just starting this hobby.

enjenn

Feb 15, 2012
everywhere
Thanks, 5-7HEAVEN. I have been to that site multiple times in the last few days. Is there something there in specific that you are referring to? Also, do you know why the warranty period is so short on that website? 90days is half of what others are offering.

Cheers,
Jenn

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
Thanks, 5-7HEAVEN. I have been to that site multiple times in the last few days. Is there something there in specific that you are referring to? Also, do you know why the warranty period is so short on that website? 90days is half of what others are offering.

Cheers,
Jenn
I like the fact that Dax is research and developing many engine drive systems.

Unsure about the short warranty.

You can ask Dax. He's a forum member here.

enjenn

Feb 15, 2012
everywhere
Are you guys saying that these chinese motors don't have quality control issues?

Thanks again for the pictures and the links. Do you know of somewhere that sells an in frame 4stroke kit. I am interested in ones both with and w/o motors.

Cheers,
Jenn

Ibedayank

Oct 29, 2011
Columbia Tennessee
Are you guys saying that these chinese motors don't have quality control issues?

Thanks again for the pictures and the links. Do you know of somewhere that sells an in frame 4stroke kit. I am interested in ones both with and w/o motors.

Cheers,
Jenn
post 5

many on here have went 4000 or more miles with the HS 49cc
member AzBill has went 17,000
scotto has over 12,000
aleman over 4000

The_Aleman

Jul 31, 2008
el People's Republik de Kalifornistan
Don't be afraid of the chinese 4-strokes. They are copies of Hondas, and they have proven themselves in the forums. They are worlds ahead of the chinese 2-strokes. There's guys here with over 10k miles on them. I have 4k miles on my Huasheng and it's reliability amazes me. You may have problems with a 4-stroke gearbox, but probably not the engine for a long time lol

If you want to spend the extra money for a real Honda, by all means do so. But either way, the little 4-strokes are extremely reliable. You definitely get your money's worth out of one.

enjenn

Feb 15, 2012
everywhere
Also, after reading my post, why did you recommend the 4 stroke kit? Why not a two stroke? I guess they are as bad as I thought. I am down with the pre-use cleaning and booger/bur removal and basic maintenance, but I am not cool with a major failure due to a manufacture's defect.

Last edited:

enjenn

Feb 15, 2012
everywhere
Don't be afraid of the chinese 4-strokes. They are copies of Hondas, and they have proven themselves in the forums..
Thanks. I have been leery of them due to the fact that the motor (QMB139) in my old Chinese scooter was supposedly a Honda clone. It sure would be nice to see more pictures of the HS 142F's innards. Did you do any pre-use prep work? Was there any junk in it? Was it well machined?

The_Aleman

Jul 31, 2008
el People's Republik de Kalifornistan
I didn't have to do anything to mine. These engines aren't like the 2-strokes where you have to go through them to get em somewhat reliable. The valve adjustment may be way off tho, so it's a good idea to do a valve adjustment before you start the engine, and then another one down the line. It is possible that you may get a defective carburetor. The carbs are very sensitive, you need a good fuel filter. Mine worked for ~100 miles and then never worked right again. I had to replace the carb.

Other than keeping the valves adjusted and occasionally changing the oil, there's usually nothing that needs to be done to these Huashengs. You don't even have to adjust the valves, you just get the most power out of the engine when they are adjusted properly.