Storage of Bike...

GoldenMotor.com

twowheeledfox

Oct 21, 2009
Houston TX
Well, due to one of my roomates getting a car and a bunch of his old stuff from home, I cannot use the garage at our house anymore.

I will have to keep my tools and projects either stored away or in my bedroom, which means no more motors and related stuff, and most of my tools apart from basic screwdrivers, adjustable wrenches and pliers, and allen keys will be put away as well.

However there is room in the top part of the garage to keep boxes so I don't need to get rid of anything. This means though that I will need to disassmble my MB to store it. I need to store the whole thing not just the motor, tank, lights etc- I am getting a new ATB soon to store indoors so I can keep it clean. Anyway, I have three questions: Can I leave the cylinder on the motor, or will the piston stick? Will a little bit of 2-smoke motor oil prevent a stuck motor after being in storage for a while? And two, what's a typical box size that a bicycle frame will fit into? Finally will batteries cause a problem if they're new and I remove them from storage before their expiration date?

Thanks all.

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
Just drain the gas out & store it!
I've seen Chevy's that were buried in a back yard for 15 years start up with a little carb cleaning & some fresh oil! ;)

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Drain the tank, run the bike until it quits, then drop the float bowl and wipe it out. Or.....run a little Sta-bil through it and forget it for 6 months.

Alajoyn

Sep 28, 2009
Portage, MI
I agree w/ Bikeguy, except in one area. I would run w/stabilizer, wipe out carb but as with my motorcycles of the past, I'd store the fuel tanks full w/stabilizer, put cap on and therefore no rust could form in the tank. Drain & refresh in spring and viola', always started up.
I'd also polish my chrome prior to storage with Nevr-Dull wadding. Bag over intake and exhaust, rubber band it shut. Battery out, keep cool & dry- ck charge ea 60dys & trickle. Keep tires up.

Robert

twowheeledfox

Oct 21, 2009
Houston TX
Thanks guys... already have MB withdrawal :(. It's apart and in boxes now, tank is WD-40'd and carby is drained and wiped. Batteries removed from light, etc etc.

Oh, one quick question- if the gas tank and carb are thoroughly drained, can they be stored indoors? In a mid-size bedroom- in or not inside boxes?

DOC BOLM

Aug 21, 2008
Mississippi
Do you pay half the rent.If so use half of everything.Paint a line down the middle of the garage and keep your stuff on your half.If he needs more room for the car rent it to him or her.