Boating Anyone

GoldenMotor.com
Sep 4, 2009
Texas
see how that pipe is attatched that's how i attatched the weed whacker trailer hitch but the business end of the whacker is bent a little more to make it 90 degree angle. That's a cool way to haul a boat!

obd1kenobi

Dec 28, 2009
chicago
That's awesome! What engine you plan on running on there? Maybe the lil 2 stroke can propel that boat, as well as the bike! Direct drive, I/O... Now that's an idea.......

noco

Sep 9, 2009
fort collins colorado
nice trailer...ive been thinking of how to build a trailer for my kayak....whitewater kayaks are shorter though....im looking for sturdy and light....gave me some ideas maybe just a pvc square with weels and a hitch would work...dont got to carry much weight...huh...something else to think about....i do dig using the boat as the tounge....

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
nice trailer...ive been thinking of how to build a trailer for my kayak....whitewater kayaks are shorter though....im looking for sturdy and light....gave me some ideas maybe just a pvc square with weels and a hitch would work...dont got to carry much weight...huh...something else to think about....i do dig using the boat as the tounge....
Noco,,
PVC will work for your trailer frame but use schedule 80 pipe, not the thinner schedule 40 sold at home improvement stores. The heavier pipe can be found at industrial pipe suppliers. The weight difference won't be that much but the strength will be much better for your purposes.
Tom

noco

Sep 9, 2009
fort collins colorado
i was thinking schedule 80...they got it at home depot or should...its nec code that any conduit coming out of the ground has to be 80....40 is ok in ground but 80 needs to be there cause of risk of breakage....i thought about it some more and all i really need is an axle i can strap on to....how about a piece of threaded rod that i can put a nut onto the inside and out side of each wheel....

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
If it were a canoe I would use the axle set up made for portaging a canoe. It is small and attaches to the canoe itself. At the pulling end I'd make up a hitch coming directly from the bow. No need to make a frame as the canoe is plenty strong as it is. Don't know about kayaks, but I would think the same is true. The canoe rig is set up so that the wheel/axle folds up and stows inside the canoe. Just a thought.
SB

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
Cool. Now that I live closer to the water, I'll have to rig up something for towing my rec kayak.