lawn mower horizontal?

GoldenMotor.com

rbrtlndhl

Jan 27, 2010
La Crosse, WI
I'm pretty sure that this Engine is in fact off of a tiller or similar application, however, who knows what kind of lawn mowers they're building in western Europe... i believe that they probably just bought the motor at a flea market or garage sale, and don't know what it exactly came off of. Jesus, that thing looks dangerous... I had a Go-Kart powered by direct drive like that... not too stop-sign friendly.laff

professor

Oct 14, 2009
Buffalo ny area
Clearly has brakes, he slides to a stop.
Notice the different carb.
Probably added a dipper to the rod cap so it acts like a normal horisontal Briggs for oil control.

civlized

Apr 28, 2009
Alabama
Can't say I've ever seen a kill switch used as a brake before. I saw a front brake also. Running to get on, not for me. Reminds me of my dad talking about getting on the school bus way back when. He said, "they just slowed down so you could run and jump on?" With my luck, I would fall just as it cranked and look like somebody that fell off of one of those old jet skies and gets dragged behind it for a while.

42blue15

Sep 18, 2008
St Louis metro, USA
It could be a horizontal-shaft engine to begin with. Riding mowers for instance don't use verticals.

As for dangerous, yea, in traffic. But they weren't really riding in traffic.... and once upon a time, LOTS of go-karts and mini-bikes were direct-drive, just because the clutches would burn out if you had one, so kids wanted the direct-drive instead.
~

Nashville Kat

Apr 20, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
He musta got it up to about 40 passing that car-

reminds me of the old briggs and Stratten on the Rupp minibike I had in the 60's when I was a teen- 2.5 horses I think- don't know the displacement- it would do about 30 with small fat wheels and full suspension-

but much better here with lighter bike and better wheels-

I ended up putting a mcCulloch 50 cart motor on it- it went faster but took longer to get speed with the same gear

I don't like the friction drive- the Rupp had a centrifical clutch

Last edited: