New tandem build, from the old tandem.....

GoldenMotor.com

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Parts are finally coming in....it's time to build. At last the frame is finished and the paint is curing.....now the fun begins once again! Very little fabrication is needed now as I've been tinkering while in between sanding and waiting for coats of paint to dry. It's gonna be interesting to see it come back together as a bike we had intended from the beginning.....a killer tandem!

dnut

scotto-

Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Thanks guys, now here's the latest on the build....those handlebars and front and rear wheels are not part of the build, they're just there for reference for me....the rear will be a 24" also. the one in pics is a 26".....

URL=http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/543/img0199c.jpg/]
[/URL]

Last edited:

scotto-

Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Gettin closer, yet still aways to go. There's been a little hold up in the wheel set....had to track down a worthy 24" rim with 32 spoke hole for the Shimano Nexus hub......most rims in 24" are 36h and a few 28h and 32. Almost went with the SRAM or Sturmy but stickin with the Nexus Disc brake. Still need a few more parts to get this beast dialed in and a few of them are currently out-of-stock.....whatcha gonna do?

URL=http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/849/img0212g.jpg/]
[/URL]

scotto-

Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Does the pedal hub have a freewheel in it? I'm wondering whether pedals will spin while being driven by the motor.
I have to say no to answer your question as the front bottom bracket spindle (hub) with the 40t pedal chainring does not have a freewheel. But in order for it to freewheel, the 20t that the long pedal chain goes to is actually a freewheel so the pedal drivetrain is independant of the motor drivetrain in that aspect.

A little confusing I know, but it works the same way that you're thinking it should. Hope this makes sense...I've got some pics I'm posting right now that will clear this up for you and everyone else....gimme a couple minutes....

dnut

The actual rear hub will be a Shimano Nexus 3-speed w/disc-brake laced to a 24" Halo Combat rim...not a freewheel.

Last edited:

scotto-

Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Yep, you guessed it, a boat load of more progress pics......doin it Terry Blow style.....bombs away!

Hope this helps....I know it looks a little strange and you'll not easily guess the overall gear ratio....

scotto-

Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Man..that beast looks so much better and stronger as an in-frame than as a rackmount, IMO.

I dig that front tire, what is it?
Yes it is a big improvement from the rack mount....just the paint alone is a nice improvement from the original.

That tire is great, we're gonna run them front and rear. It's the Odyssey "Path" and they are rather spendy at $26-$40 a pop. Pretty much worth it and great for racing the kart tracks with.

dnut