what did you do to your motorized bicycle today?

GoldenMotor.com

Jumpa

Aug 12, 2011
Cape Cod
Re: what did you do to your motor bike today?

I finally made a custom dual brake lever .. I used the 3 hole motor mount plate I got in a M/B kit a while back drilled a 3/8 hole on the aluminum lever slid in an "aluminum anchor pole" cut up part off of an air tool fitting I had , that was a little loose fitting so I drilled in a set screw in the middle where the cable would be on a normal brake set up that seems to hold OK for now.

I had to use that derailleur screw on the bottom cable, because I was afraid the small lead ball "anchor" would pull through the aluminum anchor pole "I didn't have the standard brake cable with the larger lead anchor "Top Cable" Works great with a little adjusting & it stops on a dime.

You can adjust it so ether there is minimal front and lots of rear , or just the opposite. My brother hit's me with the " now you have reduced yourself to a single part complete failure system "Mr Technical himself" IN other words if one part fails you wont have any brakes at all

I can appreciate that I told him , however I said before I did this I only had a half way decent front brake "that was non existent if it was raining" for over 2 years whats your point .. he shut up after that

Last edited:

Wickedest1

Oct 31, 2012
connecticut

so i had won an auction for an old school dynamo light...6 volt, 6 watt generator...the mount screws that came with it were too small for my larger diameter front fork tubes...had to go to the local nuts and bolts joint to get some new hardware...got it installed with a brand new light bulb from radio shack and even in the day time i can see the brightness of the bulb...i think it looks slick...and only time will tell how well the little bugger holds up...enjoy the pics...

Attachments

fatdaddy

May 4, 2011
San Jose, Ca.

so i had won an auction for an old school dynamo light...6 volt, 6 watt generator...the mount screws that came with it were too small for my larger diameter front fork tubes...had to go to the local nuts and bolts joint to get some new hardware...got it installed with a brand new light bulb from radio shack and even in the day time i can see the brightness of the bulb...i think it looks slick...and only time will tell how well the little bugger holds up...enjoy the pics...
The only problem I have with generated lights is that when ya stop, NO LIGHT. At stop signs and red lights, Or just pulled over to the side of the road, This could be a problem with the mostly BLIND people driving cars. But as long as your happy with it that all that counts.
fatdaddy.

CTripps

Aug 22, 2011
Vancouver, B.C.

I finally made a custom dual brake lever .. I used the 3 hole motor mount plate I got in a M/B kit a while back drilled a 3/8 hole on the aluminum lever slid in an "aluminum anchor pole" cut up part off of an air tool fitting I had , that was a little loose fitting so I drilled in a set screw in the middle where the cable would be on a normal brake set up that seems to hold OK for now.

I had to use that derailleur screw on the bottom cable, because I was afraid the small lead ball "anchor" would pull through the aluminum anchor pole "I didn't have the standard brake cable with the larger lead anchor "Top Cable" Works great with a little adjusting & it stops on a dime.

You can adjust it so ether there is minimal front and lots of rear , or just the opposite.
Nice, good work.

Jumpa

Aug 12, 2011
Cape Cod

Nice, good work.
Thank you very much...
It only took around an hour or so I have so many nuts and bolts collected over the years "Stainless mostly" so Every time I need a screw or a nut or a bolt..didn't have to run out to the store "thank god" that can really take the wind out of my inspirational sails.

I need to get the same size cables so it will look more uniform that screw on the bottom anchor really kills it .. then perhaps paint it ll black & round of the square edges with the dremel.
Thanks again ...you tooo Faddy!!

Last edited:

Jumpa

Aug 12, 2011
Cape Cod

That's AWESOME man I love the old stuff like this that stood the test of time if this was made in the 40's 50's or even the 60's you can expect many more good years of life back then they really made stuff to last not like now days where they intentionally make stuff that will break in several months of use so you will buy a new one, What they fail to realize that it this exact way of thinking that will put them out of business because people like me wont go bu another one from them I will spend more on a different one!

Example years ago I went to a job this lil old lady had an old Grundfos well pump "in her basement , her primary source for water in her house " the pumps bearing were kind of loud ..expected in a 60 year old pump she wanted a brand new pump i took her old one apart and saw it had a beautiful bronze impeller and diffuser not in use any more because "they all lasted way to long" they are all plastic now and if a new pump runs dry for 5 minutes it a melted mess.

So I convinced her to let me replace the bearings in her old pump after we fired it up it was a quiet as it was when her husband put it in 60 years prior I showed her the 60 year old beautiful bronze impeller compared to the brand new plastic junk one she wanted to buy and she was so grateful I didn't take advantage of her and only charged her $125.00 for parts, materials, and labor

I gave her a break on the 4 hour labor bill also." I even repainted it" I just could t remove that old pump and put in a crappy new one then charge her the $650 bucks it would have cost her in good conscience. & that pumps still running today!!

Last edited:

fatdaddy

May 4, 2011
San Jose, Ca.

That's AWESOME man I love the old stuff like this that stood the test of time if this was made in the 40's 50's or even the 60's you can expect many more good years of life back then they really made stuff to last not like now days where they intentionally make stuff that will break in several months of use so you will buy a new one, What they fail to realize that it this exact way of thinking that will put them out of business because people like me wont go bu another one from them I will spend more on a different one!

Example years ago I went to a job this lil old lady had an old Grundfos well pump "in her basement , her primary source for water in her house " the pumps bearing were kind of loud ..expected in a 60 year old pump she wanted a brand new pump i took her old one apart and saw it had a beautiful bronze impeller and diffuser not in use any more because "they all lasted way to long" they are all plastic now and if a new pump runs dry for 5 minutes it a melted mess.

So I convinced her to let me replace the bearings in her old pump after we fired it up it was a quiet as it was when her husband put it in 60 years prior I showed her the 60 year old beautiful bronze impeller compared to the brand new plastic junk one she wanted to buy and she was so grateful I didn't take advantage of her and only charged her $125.00 for parts, materials, and labor

I gave her a break on the 4 hour labor bill also." I even repainted it" I just could t remove that old pump and put in a crappy new one then charge her the $650 bucks it would have cost her in good conscience. & that pumps still running today!!
And thats probably why neither one of us are rich. I do stuff like that all the time. Everyone says I give people too big of a break on things. I figured it would all come back to me, you know, Karma or something. I'm still kinda waiting.
fatdaddy.

dracothered

Jul 25, 2012
Howell, MI.

Fabricated my my gas tank straps today and bolted down the tank. See the Wasp build for more pictures on how I did it.

Temp cap on the tank to keep junk out of it.

Wickedest1

Oct 31, 2012
connecticut

The only problem I have with generated lights is that when ya stop, NO LIGHT. At stop signs and red lights, Or just pulled over to the side of the road, This could be a problem with the mostly BLIND people driving cars. But as long as your happy with it that all that counts.
fatdaddy.

All too true...but I have backup battery lights as well...and after running it tonight with one and then all my lights at once I'm definitely visible...if I can light up the road front and back I should be good...slowly but surely heading towards a battery and fog lights off a jeep...need a 12volt dynamo and use that to charge up and maintain the battery...

d_gizzle

May 29, 2012
ARDMORE,OK

Wickedest,how big a battery? I would LOVE to be super visible. Maybe add the turn signals too,if possible.

fatdaddy

May 4, 2011
San Jose, Ca.

All too true...but I have backup battery lights as well...and after running it tonight with one and then all my lights at once I'm definitely visible...if I can light up the road front and back I should be good...slowly but surely heading towards a battery and fog lights off a jeep...need a 12volt dynamo and use that to charge up and maintain the battery...
I see you have your sights on lighting up the world, Good for you. You can NEVER have TOO MUCH light.
fatdaddy.

jimmymc2286

Nov 26, 2012
Indiana

I finished up the install on my LA Cycles chopper and rode my first MB today. This is going to be fun. It worked out so well that both of my brothers, and my son in law are now going to build one. Now to decide what to do to it next. I'm thinking headlight, speedometer, front disk brakes. Who knows where this will end.

Jimmy

soup325

Dec 11, 2010
Canberra

jeep...need a 12volt dynamo and use that to charge up and maintain the battery...
just an idea...

why dont you use an 12V alternator from a small car/motorbike....fab up a chain drive...and bing.....some wires.....lots of juice for lights, sirens, and a phone charger or stereo.

d_gizzle

May 29, 2012
ARDMORE,OK

Hey soup,how easy is that? I can get an alternator,lights,turn signals,I even have an air horn kit I could hook up too. I'm already using the air horn,with a ball pump.

Wickedest1

Oct 31, 2012
connecticut

Wickedest,how big a battery? I would LOVE to be super visible. Maybe add the turn signals too,if possible.

Ok so as far as the battery at walmart they sell very small 12v batteries for mopeds that are only about 4"x3"x4"...thats what I'm looking at as a power source...then you could run your lights and everything else...when I can fund this experiment I will...visibility is key for us all...