Chinese Engines Are Worthless

GoldenMotor.com
Status
Not open for further replies.

WWCherokee

Feb 11, 2009
Lakewood Colorado
So after 3 months of trying to get Brett's Bobber Bike running reliably and with decent performance. I finally got it running good enough to take it on a long ride. Everything was working great except the one problem with it choking at high rpms.

So I road it all over Golden Colorado and it was great. I probably road it 30 miles. The only thing I noticed was my top speed was getting lower because the vibration of the engine was getting worse, but when I parked it last night it was still running pretty good.

So today I got on it to go to 7-11 and this is what happened.

1. The clutch was slipping because even with the upgraded clutch spring I installed it wouldn't completely engage.

2. The engine was racing and I had to reset the idle.

3. The engine vibration and noise from inside the engine was worse than before and is now limiting my top speed to 10 to 15 mph.

Here is my conclusion after using one Chinese kit. All the parts of these kits either barely do what they are meant to or simply fail to do what they are meant to. No matter what you do to these engines they are still junk and after spending many hours and extra money working on them it is still likely that the engine will self-destruct. I'm sure mine is about to fail. I'm disappointed that I spent so much time with this engine but I learned something, Chinese motorized bike kits SUCK, SUCK, SUCK. I now refuse to waist one more minute trying to make this time bomb run right.

With the knowledge I have gained I have to say that I have a new opinion of companies that slap a Chinese engine kit on a cheap Shwinn clone and sell them or sell the kits for that matter. This is really fine as long as the buyer is informed that he might get a couple rides out of it before stuff starts to break and that constant maintenance and upgrades will be required. Is seems to me however that the advertising leads the buyer to believe that he can jump on one of these bikes and ride it to work everyday. I wouldn't do it if your boss gets pissed if your late, cause your going to be very late very often. It must be a hard life to be in a business where most of your customers are unhappy most of the time.

Stay tuned for my next build. It will be a Felt MP with a Morini Franco engine and custom shift kit. For those of you that have tried to figure out how to create a good 12-volt system, the Morini engine will have the option of a 12 volt 55 watt internal generator!!! It will be far more reliable and smooth with more power and high quality. My goal is to create a power train can be ridden reliably, often and not to be a never ending project that ultimately ends with a blown engine, so I can sell them with pride and a clear conscience. My next one will be for sale and Hopefully there will be many more for sale in the future.

Ride on,

Brett

Attachments

Last edited:

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
sorry to here your having so much trouble. Take and fix one problem at a time. I have 4 bikes and its hard to ride all 4 at one time so I pick one and ride the snot out of it I don't seem to have any problems like your experiencing. I still run stock nut/studs etc. I only replace the gaskets with ones I make. I've made my own exhausts and and done some porting and off set intakes. I do not know who you bought your kits from, so far I've used Dax,boygofast, and Kings all seem to work great for me. We all have minor problems my worst is running out of fuel have not had to call for a ride home not even a flat tire as some have had ask Ilikeabikea once you stop and take a breath of fresh air and work out the problems sooner or later you should get a grin out of the fun these can be.
I would not be afraid to ride one to work as I trust mine I even rode one of my bikes to a different town to a bike rally and entered it in a chopper contest I didn't win but got a lot of looks I was parked between the two top bikes. All the bikers there seemed to like it even if it was on the extreme low end of motorcycling some were amazed that I rode the thing to the rally.
Don't give up on your bike it will work out when you have problems we can help.
Norman

Last edited:

seca40

Nov 15, 2008
Albuquerque
Sorry to hear you had a bad experience Brett. Good luck with your Morini project, it sounds cool. I guess I got lucky, after break in my engine has been consistent and reliable. Still a Chinese POS but I am getting a lot of good use out of it even stressing it out with loads of "high performance" tweaking. I use the phrase loosely Ha. Keep us posted on your next project, I wanna see it.

Pat

P.S I like your style man. Here' My ride.

Attachments

toytime

Mar 20, 2008
Ontario
I disagree with you big time. A carton of smokes and a case of beer and it's gone in a week. Spend the same on a kit and drive for a year.
Having just come back from the smoke shop and the beer store, I'm relating to our other hobbies....lol

WWCherokee

Feb 11, 2009
Lakewood Colorado
Norman,

Thanks for the words of incouragement. But, I have 25 years of experience working on and building small engine projects and car projects. I have scoured the forums for informations and think I know all there is to know about what goes wrong with these kits and the fixxes.

I have upgraded everything on this kit exept the carb and the engine. Everything works well, exept the engine and carb it's self. The problem is engine vibrations and there is really nothing I can do about it. At this point I am certain it's about to blow up, trust me when I say I know what an engine that is about to fail sounds like.

So I have given up because there is no reason to throw time and money down the toilet when there are far better options out there. The Morini engine is it, and when you consider the savings in time and maintenance it will cost less in the long run. I have dirt bike experience with these engines and they truley rock.

seca40

Nov 15, 2008
Albuquerque
Thanks, I got the forks, saddle and tank from one of these. Of course I had to zap the tank a few times with the welder to get it to be a real fuel tank.

Attachments

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
WW
I too have experience I'm 12 going on 57 and have played for years with all kinds of junk from model engines to big industrial engines,airplanes,motorcycles,cars but boats not too much..duh.
Good luck on your new project those Morini's are supposed to be good I've heard nothing but good things about them and you can still show us when you get it up and running along with the build.cptr.
Norman

WWCherokee

Feb 11, 2009
Lakewood Colorado
Toytime,

I knew there would be plenty of disagreement out there. This is because some of you got decently ballanced engines. But if you read the postings is seems just as many of us have gotten engines that suck. Why do you think that most sellers don't give any warranty and the ones that do I have read sometimes won't honor the warranty. I also wonder if you have had problems with other parts of the kit. Like broken throttle, broken clutch lever, clutch actuator that doesn't work, chain tensioner that won't spin, broken studs, leaking exaust pipe, oil spraying from every seam, broken magnetos, broken DCI, leaking carborator, leaking float bowl, stripped threads... The list goes on. I have had most of these problems and I have less than 150 miles on this bike.

I figure the best way to start a project is with good parts, not start with a crappy kit and when your done with it most of it is upgraded.

When I have finished developing my bikes for sale they will be on a different level than the Chinese kits. If you have ever ridden a dirt bike with a Morini engine, I have, then you would never be satisfied with a Chinese engine kit. Morini makes some 50cc engines that would rip the tire off a bicylce and are smooth as butter. They cost more and require custom mounting but to me it will be worth it. Another benifit is that there is no upgrading to be done. These engines have the best parts to start with and frankly any more power would destroy the bike.

WWCherokee

Feb 11, 2009
Lakewood Colorado
For everyone that thinks I am upset with this or that I am angry, I am not. I am simply trying to express my opinion based on my limited experience with these engines and how my opinion is shaping my next project.

Motoschwinn

Jun 27, 2008
Independence MO
Maybe you should have titled this thread "My Chinese Engine is Worthless"... Cause mine has given me years of fun. But you are right, this didn't work, just try something else!

Reactions: Loop

WWCherokee

Feb 11, 2009
Lakewood Colorado
Motoshwinn,

Your right, maybe I should have titled it "My Chinese engine sucks". as clear as it is that many have got bad ones it is also clear many have got good ones. It's a gamble. If I had gotten a good engine I am sure that all the upgrades I made, I would now consider worth my time and effort. It really runs great except for the vibrations killing it. I am cosidering continuing to ride it until it actually fails and then tearing it down and reporting what the failure was.

Clotho

May 25, 2008
I am sorry you are experiencing some difficulty with your motor. I personally have 4 engines by 3 different manufacturers on 4 different bikes and all are going strong. While I know that it is possible to get a defective motor I still think that it is the exception to the rule rather than the norm. All this means is that buying from reputable dealers who support their product (and expecting to pay more for this service) Is critical.

GoFastBicycles

Jul 29, 2008
West Point PA.
My thinking here is these engines are so cheap that if ya blow one up buy a new one. What were ya looking for no maintenance not here but thats were the fun is and the sense of accomplishment is. BLOW IT UP buy a new one keep at it you built on **** of a cool bike to give up. I've built 7 bikes this month for customers one is pissed but he didn't break it in correctly 2nd day 40+ mile round trip having trouble now.

Sep 20, 2008
Clearwater, FL
web.tampabay.rr.com
Motoshwinn,

Your right, maybe I should have titled it "My Chinese engine sucks". as clear as it is that many have got bad ones it is also clear many have got good ones. It's a gamble. If I had gotten a good engine I am sure that all the upgrades I made, I would now consider worth my time and effort. It really runs great except for the vibrations killing it. I am cosidering continuing to ride it until it actually fails and then tearing it down and reporting what the failure was.
Cherokee,

Good evening!

Please read my "assembly defects" thread in the general discussion forum, (If you haven't already). Disassemble your engine, now, prior to a nuclear meltdown...You may be pleasantly surprised that the problem isn't that bad. I can certainly understand this idea is frustrating, (you were supposed to get a good engine that just needed to be installed). I too have many years of experience with engines.

I intentionally stay removed from any emotional aspects when it comes to mechanical things. It is really very simple. Either the parts work together as assembled, or they do not. And if not, why not? And then calmly go about a solution that will resolve the problem.

Any mass produced product will, in any given volume, result in a certain amout of scrap. The scrap tends to pass through China, and into the market place, at a far more alarming rate than U.S., or European products.

We get scrap products at Target, and Wal-Mart. It's no big deal because we can return them and get another that works as it should. We don't have to work on it, we don't have to spend hours building it. It doesn't work, it goes back to the store. Simple...done.

Jim

Last edited:

WWCherokee

Feb 11, 2009
Lakewood Colorado
I seemed to have sparked some discussion and everyone so far has made good points.

You are correct too Jim.

I just want to say thank you to eveyone for your unique perspectives and certainly some people prefer to tinker with these engines. I on the other hand am willing to pay a little more for the engine and put my building time and effort into a bike with a tuely well built engine. That will allow me to move on to the other areas of the bike. Really it's just a little more and considering I mounted my kit with all custom parts. Doing it again with a different engine will be no problem.

Jim, Thanks for the comments. I recieved the clutch actuator I bought from you and it works great. I have had trouble with the stock spring return though. I upgraded it to a different spring and it still is giving me problems with full engagement but it is not the fault of your product and I love it.

Sep 20, 2008
Clearwater, FL
web.tampabay.rr.com
I seemed to have sparked some discussion and everyone so far has made good points.

You are correct too Jim.

I just want to say thank you to eveyone for your unique perspectives and certainly some people prefer to tinker with these engines. I on the other hand am willing to pay a little more for the engine and put my building time and effort into a bike with a tuely well built engine. That will allow me to move on to the other areas of the bike. Really it's just a little more and considering I mounted my kit with all custom parts. Doing it again with a different engine will be no problem.

Jim, Thanks for the comments. I recieved the clutch actuator I bought from you and it works great. I have had trouble with the stock spring return though. I upgraded it to a different spring and it still is giving me problems with full engagement but it is not the fault of your product and I love it.
Cherokee,

Totally understood as far as your new choice of an engine is concerned. Please knock down the Chinese engine and post your findings on my defects thread when you get a chance. The thread is meant to help the end users and the resellers to recognize what doesn't work!

I would really like to refund the money you paid for your clutch actuator...use it towards your new project. You may be asking why? You never know when I may have a product for your new build, and I will want you to have confidence that you can buy from me with satisfactory results.

Best regards,
Jim

Pablo

Master Bike Builder & Forum Sponsor
Dec 28, 2007
Duvall, WA PNW
www.sickbikeparts.com
Junky? Sure. Worthless? Not true.

Mine actually runs pretty well. Never has left me stranded.

But, for something that should be very uniform (and uniformly simple) - they are like people - everyone is different!

Egor

Jan 30, 2008
Hurricane Utah
I think one of the reasons that I like the happy time engines is the fact that they are not complex and as such need me. I have a garage full of small Honda's I know I can ride across America on any one of them. Except for the fact that they are not that fast 55mph with the few mods I impose on all of them (IE 65cc) just ride and get there. I would love to take one of our little bikes on a long trip just for the adventure. I never just run any of my engine I take them apart and inspect everything. I do use the parts they come with, just make sure they are all in their proper place. Next I never sustain any high RPM's it would just tear them apart, I gas them for a few blocks only. Also if you are going to run for a distance go for the 36 tooth sprocket, makes a world of difference. I have a 30 it is too small but it rolls along nice, just hard to start from a stop. Remember the Happy Time engine needs you. It is worth the time taken to balance the crank and do the porting, it would then last for years. Have fun, Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.