Sparking when connecting battery to controller

GoldenMotor.com

MadMaxed

Feb 15, 2015
Florida
okay so i recently got into electric bicycles. A complete newbie. I know a few things about electricity, but i haven't worked much with batteries. I hooked 4 12v batteries in series to make a 48v battery. Soldered it all together. Made a charging port. Went to hook the battery to the controler and got a pretty descent Spark. Scared me pretty good. IM hoping i didnt mess anything up. Is this normal and what can i do to keep it from sparking? Or pretty much just sparks when doing so.

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
It's normal. It's the surge current that flows into the controller because of the large capacitor that gets charged. You can avoid it by wiring in a "pre-charge resistor of say 500 ohms that you turn on before the main switch.

Semaj

Electric Enthusiast
Dec 11, 2014
Austin Tx
When my batteries are fully charged Ill hear a loud Snap or PoP when I plug the anderson connectors together. Suprized me the first time, but I figured it was normal.

kevyleven007

Sep 25, 2008
texas
Yep. that's why I like battery packs that have a key to turn them off. otherwise you just have to plug them in real fast and smooth.